Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2016, 17:48   #256

Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbit View Post
Moving to the City I was a 'Country Bumpkin' as a kid, and had a terrible problem with bullies. I was vulnerable because I couldn't work out what the heck was going on.

Then one day the headmaster spotted what was going on, and called me to his office for a chat. When there, he explained the Real World[tm] to me, and assured me that it was ok to fight back.

So I did, and punched their lights out for them.

That's the ONLY lesson bullies understand. I never had a problem with bullies after, if they started in on me, they'd end up running away and keeping well clear of me from then on.

“The notion that you can somehow defeat violence by submitting to it is simply a flight from fact. As I have said, it is only possible to people who have money and guns between themselves and reality.” George Orwell

George understood the Real World[tm], and when the chips are down, thinking it's all butterflies and rainbows, just gets people killed.
So what do you suggest these days? Flying halfway around the world to bloody someone's nose?

The preceding was a test of the ignore button.
Old 14-02-2016, 17:50   #257

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Moving to the City I was a 'Country Bumpkin' as a kid, and had a terrible problem with bullies. I was vulnerable because I couldn't work out what the heck was going on.

Then one day the headmaster spotted what was going on, and called me to his office for a chat. When there, he explained the Real World[tm] to me, and assured me that it was ok to fight back.

That's the ONLY lesson bullies understand. I never had a problem with bullies after, if they started in on me, they'd end up running away and keeping well clear of me from then on.

“The notion that you can somehow defeat violence by submitting to it is simply a flight from fact. As I have said, it is only possible to people who have money and guns between themselves and reality.” George Orwell

George understood the Real World[tm], and when the chips are down, thinking it's all butterflies and rainbows, just gets people killed.
“If you hate violence and don't believe in politics, the only major remedy remaining is education.”
George Orwell,

Also from George Orwell - 'a text without a context, is a pretext' ... Fee and Stewart
Old 14-02-2016, 17:53   #258

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemack View Post
When a misogynistic homophobe can post offensive remarks (today, this thread) like:

"the most ultra-sensitive of women or girlie-men"

with apparent impunity I have to question the sincerity of assurances given by mods today. A post of mine a tenth as dubious disappeared without trace or comment by moderator.

The event you describe is appalling. Hard to understand why a young man with a wife and infant would be so despicable.

People claiming that bullying cannot happen anonymously are deluded or guilty.

ps. I was surprised some people thought socaldmax's post unfriendly - guess the cultural chasm is wider than I knew.
LOL Yes I picked up on that same post as you and thought "hey, what a perfect example! right on this thread" And that's the juxtaposition, if you can't see it through the eyes of another it goes unseen in your perspective. And there is hardly a way to turn eyes in this world. So goes communication, here and elsewhere. It's always the struggle of communication and understanding.
Old 14-02-2016, 17:54   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Oh dear, , in this day and age and he's actually advocating violence.
What is so different about today's day and age as compared to say 100 years ago which leads you to believe that human offshoots of the hominid family are not supposed to be violent any more?
Old 14-02-2016, 17:55   #260

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:

I am not understanding what you purpose regarding bullies on a forum: Do you propose that to offensive and rude posts one should respond with other offensive and rude posts and not resource to moderation to limit bullying tactics and unnecessary rudeness?
Old 14-02-2016, 18:00   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
What is so different about today's day and age as compared to say 100 years ago which leads you to believe that human offshoots of the hominid family are not supposed to be violent any more?

Seriously well for a start the world was fairly keen to jump into 'world conflict' which led to the greatest number of deaths from any conflict the world has ever seen. .

'In this day and age' we don't have a desire so much to repeat that,
Old 14-02-2016, 18:01   #262

Boat: a sailing boat

Like everything else, a forum will have its life stages: its youth - when it is being formed; its adolescence - when most NEW material is added to its common memory; its adulthood - when this information is being refined, used and reused; and finaly its old age - when we keep on repeating the same things, babble, and we get quarellsome.

I, personaly, have failed to notice any negative changes. There will always be noise and chatter and these imho too ADD to our cognition - by showing us where the new directions are, and where things are getting lose and wobbly and may need some repair.

And now that we agreed to disagree, what does the OP intend to do about their assumption?

b.
Old 14-02-2016, 18:02   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I am not understanding what you purpose regarding bullies on a forum: Do you propose that to offensive and rude posts one should respond with other offensive and rude posts and not resource to moderation to limit bullying tactics and unnecessary rudeness?
He's suggesting the mods add a button where you can nuke someone if you don't like their posts

(I'm free to comment on his posts because I'm on his ignore list )
Old 14-02-2016, 18:16   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I think the first step would be to come to a common understanding of what is bullying. So far reading this thread I don't see a great majority of participants agreeing on one acceptable to a great majority definition.

Personally I don't think that pointing out perceived this or that fault in other people's boat is bullying. Anymore than telling them their fly is open (if it is open). Nor telling someone they're crazy to try to circumnavigate in an old 25' Bayliner motorboat with a gas I/O and a 100gal gas tank.

I do think that any ethnic, religious, sexual preference, etc. put downs and repeated jokes (after being asked not to) are also if not bullying but close to it. I am a great believer in the concept of being able to say in a public forum what's on one's mind short of advocating direct violence or threats against particular person or group of persons. And so far I have not seen anything in this thread or on CF in general which would rise to that level. For example as distasteful as the calls to ban Muslims from entering US may be, these do not rise to "violence" or "bullying" in my book, just another distasteful political opinion. In general I am much more afraid of PC police shutting down the voices which do not confirm to PC version of the "beautiful world" than I am concerned that some rare mentally unstable person may go off the bend after a perceived bullying of them.

I am considerably disappointed that this wonderful forum is being pushed, however imperceptibly, to succumb to the current plague of PC police attempts to shut up the however distasteful voices and currently unpopular opinions. This is a slippery slope which does not harbinger great future as we all have seen how it ends in other parts of the world.
Old 14-02-2016, 18:17   #265

Boat: Formosa 41

I just popped in here.

What are we fighting about in this thread?
Old 14-02-2016, 18:21   #266

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
He's suggesting the mods add a button where you can nuke someone if you don't like their posts

(I'm free to comment on his posts because I'm on his ignore list )
Hum, probably he is not a fan of minorities rights and a fan of a totalitarian kind of forum regime. I can remember a political regime that was like that, it did not finish well.

Besides in boat design as in anything there is a constant evolution and what is a now a minority trend will be in the future a main trend. Minorities pass to majorities while new minorities are created. You have only to look back on boat design or almost anything to see that.

The implementation of that idea would turn any forum, on a place where innovation and new ideas would be kept out, a very conservative and sterile place where little would be learned.

But even if I disagree strongly I don't see anything wrong regarding his right to propose that.
Old 14-02-2016, 18:24   #267

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Talking about nuking the bullies that tie off a slapping halyard or some such.

Wait.... That's a mashup.
Old 14-02-2016, 18:30   #268

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Its funny...I read the first page, then the last page (this page) of this thread, only to find the bickering the OP was referring to.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 14-02-2016, 18:31   #269

Quote:

Seriously well for a start the world was fairly keen to jump into 'world conflict' which led to the greatest number of deaths from any conflict the world has ever seen. .

'In this day and age' we don't have a desire so much to repeat that,
Oh, I see. So that's why Pol Pot was able to violently murder 60% of Cambodia's population in the 70s or the thousands murdered by the death squads in Yugoslavia and Central America in the 90s, or the genocides in Rwanda, Ethiopia, Sudan, Somalia, etc, etc - because we are so much less violent to intervene. And then we started Iraq, Syria, Lybia, et als (of course 20-30 years too late) - to teach these countries our Kumbaya version of politics. Right?

My only complaint, which is btw supported by many historians, that being scared in the aftermath of WWI, the Allies did not intervene in Nazi Germany when Hitler was weak and was actually afraid of their intervention 1935-6 after his occupation of Ruhr and re-militarization of the country in violation of Versailles Treaty. So we were too peaceful to "bully" Hitler into submission when he was relatively weak and instead had to deal with him 5-8 years later at the total cost of 50mil lives instead of "few thousands" it would take in 1935-6. What a deal and what shining example to the future generations of kids of how not to be bullies to the "bad people" in the world.
Old 14-02-2016, 18:39   #270

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
I just popped in here.

What are we fighting about in this thread?
Bwahahahahaaha hAHAHA hahahahaha
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, rum, sail, sailing