Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2018, 10:54   #16

Re: Is a hans 33 big enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
In the late 70's a 27' sailboat was the average size for a cruising family of 4.

Bigger is not always better. My preference is that the boat needs to be able to be singlehanded including storms, sail changes, anchoring and docking. How big that is depends on the set up and abilities. Bigger$$$$
Thank you
asistephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 11:10   #17

I have to say as I’m selling up and buying my boat as my home and travel tool for two of us being able to walk away from it with a smile on my face is never going to be an option . Being comfortable at sea is my concern. A super Maramu can be sailed by two easily enough. It’s the criusing life style where the size is the question I’m looking to others for there wisdom. Basically length in the water on passage making will it drive me mad only 33 ft or will it feel more like a connection with the sea as long as I avoid higher seas as much as possible.
Old 26-09-2018, 11:15   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
An Amel or an HC33 for world cruising?

No brainer.

Ran a HC43 decades ago. Ya like teak and varnish? They are beautiful when up to snuf but it a labor of love to keep them there.
So when you say no brainier which would you choose ?

I get they have lots of varnish to keep up. but what a lovely looking boat .
Old 26-09-2018, 12:22   #19

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by asistephen View Post
..... Basically length in the water on passage making will it drive me mad only 33 ft or will it feel more like a connection with the sea as long as I avoid higher seas as much as possible.
Turning a 7 day passage into a 10 day passage exposes you to significantly higher weather risk.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 12:28   #20

Boat: Valiant 32

Had an Amel Sharki, which is basically a 40 foot Maramu lived aboard for 5 years and sailed from the Med to NZ....good boat..
Now I've got a Valiant 32. Sure do miss that aft cabin.
Qayaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 13:30   #21

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Most world cruisers that we run across ( tahiti, tonga, bvi, bahamas, mexico, are in the mid 30 foot range. Most are just two people, a few are single handers All living the life ! Good on them.

For the two of us, we like about a 36 footer. ( we are both 5'6". very fit, and just do not need a 55 foot vessel with 8 to 11 berths down below.

Mid 30's for two people, Erica and I, we can sail and handle deck duties , reefing, proper sail shape, hauling up sails, and lower a main that we can easily flake as compared to man handling and flaking the main on a 55 foot boat.. on my own.

Also with a smaller vessel, we have more choices of mooring availability and docks or slips with a mid 30 as opposed to a 55 footer.

Easier anchoring, less swing room, and handling the chain and rode. And, being able to anchor using the required method for the conditions. Problems can occur, like skippering a 55 foot sailing vessel, and having the pleasure of hauling up all chain when the windlass tanks. I used an extra line and repeatedly tied rolling hitches to the chain and cranked it up with a large jib sheet winch and handle. A few yards at a time.

Will the OP be sailing with paid crew, or knowledgeable crew, since that 55 footer is muy large.

Also , totally agree with other posters a sea trial where the OP rigs the vessel, hauls up and out on the sails, re-sets the sheet blocks, tacks, jibes, trims the sails, single handed. Also, should be able to dock , or pick up moorings or anchor, single handed.

How are the reefing systems set up, for each boat, and can you reef them down, single or double reef, single handed. ( or will you always have a good knowledgeable crew ? ).

For ocean passages, a well built sailing vessel , that the two of us could handle easily would be preferred, for us, in the 35 to 37 foot range.
Again , this are our personal requirements, not necessarily those of others.

We were not there, but with a proper sail plan, main and jib, the hans should do just fine on a beam reach. Reefed down, and proper sized jib sail.
Also, run the traveler down to leeward. I believe she is cutter rigged which adds different sail plans to use.

Recommend and agree, that the OP, gets out there on the ocean , and sails each of the vessels, understands the boat systems, rigging, sail trim, coming about, jibing, heaving to, raising and lowering the sails. Trimming on all points of sail, Docking, line handling, anchoring, mooring pick ups, etc.

Then, yahoo, what ever feels good to the OP, he will have a better idea what fits his abilities and comfort zone as well as confidence.

Also, depends on what the plans are. Ocean passages under sail, or motoring in local waters. How many knowledgeable seaman/ women on board when the OP heads out to sea on his new vessel.

Lots to take into consideration. Another positive thought, a real live few hours of sailing, and handling what ever vessels he plans to purchase might go a long way as to which boat is right for the OP. No huge financial mistake.

We personally cannot make that decision for him, too many variables involved that puts the purchase back on the OP and what he wants in a boat.

Regardless, lad, Fair winds, and fun times, and grand sailing adventures are on your horizon.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 14:16   #22

Boat: a sailing boat

H33 is voluminous. It is very beamy, very round, and deep. Plenty of space there.

Off course a Super Maramu is so much bigger that it beats a H33 when it comes to storage, tankage, etc.

Both of them are big or small - depending on what reference you use.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 15:03   #23

Boat: SS34

The Super Maramu has an enormous amount of electrical systems that will keep you busy.
Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 16:04   #24

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I like smaller rather than larger. For two people larger just carries more stuff. If you have the stuff to carry you need larger otherwise smaller will do.

The one comment I have about a HC33 is the location of the batteries. I seriously looked at buying one a while back and they are indeed rugged go anywhere boats, but the location of the batteries, to me, are a concern. Located at the bottom of the aft locker, the only way to reach them is through the locker itself. Now fill the locker up with inflammable stuff and then have arcing at the batteries and you have potentially a big problem. This might seem nitpicking, but at least one HC33 has burned to the waterline due to this issue.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 16:44   #25

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

You picked two boats which are rather near the extremes, though both are great boats but for somewhat different reasons. IMHO something about 40' is a much better compromise and you'll find plenty used seaworthy boats in the 38' to 44' range. Many will argue for a smaller boat but believe me when the weather gets up the smaller boats are considerably livelier, even the heavy ones.

Due to the nature of your question and you mentioned that choices in UK may be limited, it seems you might want to spend some money to travel to the East Coast of US to check out some other designs.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 17:12   #26

Boat: Riva 48

While these are definitely great boats, please do realize that they are relatively rare and require a special appreciation either way. Each of those boats require significant love to maintain and appreciate. A friend of mine sold his Hunter 34 for a HC 33 that he got nearly for free. At the time he thought the choice was obvious as a HC 33 is multiple times more valuable than a Hunter 34. Four years later he still appreciates the comments he gets on the HC 33 but he rare sails it (too heavy, need more wind), goes to the islands may be once every three months vs. twice a month before, spends a lot of money on teak maintenance and the boat still looks neglected (constant projects). He now concedes that keeping the Hunter 34 would have been for coastal cruising.

Blue water, you will say... well very few people are blue water sailors most of the time. Most just cross an ocean every now and then and spend the rest of the time in coastal areas.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 17:48   #27

Boat: 1978 PS Mariah 31, #52

If I had the cash, I'd currently be on a HC 33. My sister worked for HC back in the golden years. Have some time on HC's, my choice has always been the 33. I recently bought a PS Mariah 31, mostly because it reminded me of the HC 33, just more affordable. My opinion for what it's worth, go with the HC.
LarryDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 01:16   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qayaq View Post
Had an Amel Sharki, which is basically a 40 foot Maramu lived aboard for 5 years and sailed from the Med to NZ....good boat..
Now I've got a Valiant 32. Sure do miss that aft cabin.
Thanks , do you live on the Valiant? Would you rather swap back to the Amel?

How do the running costs compare for you ?
Old 27-09-2018, 01:19   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
While these are definitely great boats, please do realize that they are relatively rare and require a special appreciation either way. Each of those boats require significant love to maintain and appreciate. A friend of mine sold his Hunter 34 for a HC 33 that he got nearly for free. At the time he thought the choice was obvious as a HC 33 is multiple times more valuable than a Hunter 34. Four years later he still appreciates the comments he gets on the HC 33 but he rare sails it (too heavy, need more wind), goes to the islands may be once every three months vs. twice a month before, spends a lot of money on teak maintenance and the boat still looks neglected (constant projects). He now concedes that keeping the Hunter 34 would have been for coastal cruising.

Blue water, you will say... well very few people are blue water sailors most of the time. Most just cross an ocean every now and then and spend the rest of the time in coastal areas.
Thanks
Old 27-09-2018, 01:28   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I like smaller rather than larger. For two people larger just carries more stuff. If you have the stuff to carry you need larger otherwise smaller will do.

The one comment I have about a HC33 is the location of the batteries. I seriously looked at buying one a while back and they are indeed rugged go anywhere boats, but the location of the batteries, to me, are a concern. Located at the bottom of the aft locker, the only way to reach them is through the locker itself. Now fill the locker up with inflammable stuff and then have arcing at the batteries and you have potentially a big problem. This might seem nitpicking, but at least one HC33 has burned to the waterline due to this issue.
Oh !!! That does sound like a bizarre place to put them . Even if covered what if a big wave comes in the back of the boat is the locker water tight?