Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2020, 09:14   #1

Boat: Islander 32 MII "Brilliant Sea"
In need of serious help please!

Hi, everyone, I apologize that I haven't posted here in quit some time and also for this lenghty post, but I am in need of help from the sailing community to get back to my sailing life if at all possible.

Ok, so I am having my sailboat SV Brilliant Sea, a Islander 32 MKII hauled from Colorado to Galveston TX Pier 77 boatyard. I will be traveling in my truck with an overhead camper and my sweet Aussie mini Ace.

My first need is to ask anyone in or near Galveston to allow me and Ace to park overnights while I work on the boat during weekdays. I have a lot of work to do to the boat but am planning on a max four weeks to get done what needs to get done. I am a carpenter by trade and can do projects in trade. I just cant afford to stay at an RV park and pay for boat storage.

I will be sailing to Sarasota as my destination depending on slip availability(need help and suggestions as well on that area).

I am really anxious/nervous of how all this is going to work so all the help and suggestions will be taken seriously and gratefully.

Another detail I haven't figured out is how to get me and my pooch back to Galveston after I drive my Camper to FL and then sail the boat to our destination. My dog means everything to me and he is my number one responsibility.

Thats it in a nutshell and there are a lot more details to figure out of course.

So allow me to tell you more about my situation and I do apologize again for the length of my explanation.

A lady I knew when I was young when I taught skiing in CO found me living on my boat in NJ back in 2015, we fell in love and I moved back to CO to be with her and we had a plan to sail in our older years. I moved the boat to CO so I could work on her and make her new again. Well I ended up working on her property and nothing much got done to the boat. She and I split up last June, she gave me my Ace and said I have till April to get the boat off her property. I was a sudden shock to me and of course my fault. I had no money to start over but I have been working my but off to keep Ace and I living and to save the $5,000 needed just to do the boat haul($3,500 haul, $800 crane and about a thousand at yard) not to mention the materials i need to fix up the boat.

So I really need some help here folks, I want to get back to sailing and I'll do anything in my power to do so but I have realized that I can't do it without asking for help.

I will be starting a youtube channel starting when the boat is getting put on the trailer in CO called Brilliant Sea, Ace and Me. I will have a Patreon account and will hope to have a good following on youtube.

So there it is folks, I'm getting close to crunch time and I do have some work here in CO to get some more money saved up but I fear by the time I get to FL and get a slip I'll have nothing left to support Ace and I.

So for Florida help, I will have my full compliments of carpentry, electrician and plumbing tools to work. I also can do any boat work as well. I will need to get to work right away in this new life and am pretty worried at this point. I am a survivor and will do anything for my dog and I....and hopefully keep the sailing dream alive as well.

Thank you all, this is and has been the hardest time in my life but I know better and warmer days are to come.

Markus Alt
Brilliant Sea, Ace and Me
Brilliant Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 18:52   #2

Re: In need of serious help please!

Hi everyone!

So I made some good progress today! I have a buddy coming down to Galveston at the end of March to shuttle my truck/camper to Florida for me. Whew, I can now not worry about doing that myself and this allows my sweet little boy to stay with me at all times...YAY!

I found a Marina just north of Longboat Pass that has room for me but no liveaboard. Thats ok as I have my camper.

Also I have a good buddy that wants to make the voyage with me, that will be nice.

So I am still needing a place to park in Galveston while i get the boat set up. Any ideas??? The walmart there does not allow overnights....bummer.

Anywho, great progress happened today!

Thanks for listening!

Markus Alt,
Brilliant Sea, Ace and Me
Old 10-01-2020, 20:24   #3

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

Have you considered a local non-chain truck stop? Probably helpful if you could purchase a 'shower' or patronize their diner occasionally but many of the mom n pop stops are flexible. In the chain stores they would most likely start harassing after a few days. Worth a shot but would probably pay off better talking to them in person (if nothing else materializes)
Good Luck!

Michael
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 23:18   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Having a boat and an RV myself, I think you'll need to simply if money is tight. Choose one or the other. Otherwise, you're going to be wasting money on storage for the one you're not using. Always.

Load the boat up with the tools and materials, go to anchor to refit with a small generator.

Are you good at finish work? Cabinetry using non-wood materials? General labor? Need work near Sarasota? I need to hire someone and have parking for someone if they are working with me. Low cost slip too.

Send a DM if interested.

Hope it smooths out. Been there and made that mistake before. Got blindsided by some woman like that myself before.

Or, alternate plan: come directly out here to Florida to work, have free RV parking, launch boat out here, keep at a slip here, work for me (finish boat work) while you refit her which would pay for the refit. There aren't enough perks in your other plan to get ahead.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:40   #5

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Having a boat and an RV myself, I think you'll need to simply if money is tight. Choose one or the other. Otherwise, you're going to be wasting money on storage for the one you're not using. Always.

Load the boat up with the tools and materials, go to anchor to refit with a small generator.

Are you good at finish work? Cabinetry using non-wood materials? General labor? Need work near Sarasota? I need to hire someone and have parking for someone if they are working with me. Low cost slip too.

Send a DM if interested.

Hope it smooths out. Been there and made that mistake before. Got blindsided by some woman like that myself before.

Or, alternate plan: come directly out here to Florida to work, have free RV parking, launch boat out here, keep at a slip here, work for me (finish boat work) while you refit her which would pay for the refit. There aren't enough perks in your other plan to get ahead.
Agreed. Too many expenses, not enough savings, not enough income. Work more, save more, you need to find a place to work on the boat before you do anything, it does not necessarily need to be a boatyard but near the water. Do this first before you do anything. You could be doing this while you are working on Chotu’s boat. You need to plan and explore at this point, not act. Have you considered asking your ex girlfriend if she would accept a small rent payment for a few months ? Ask her, money talks. Don’t go off half cocked.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 08:59   #6

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

Unless you are planning to leave shore life behind completely I see no benefit to getting rid of your vehicle.
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:07   #7

no, not planning on getting rid of my truck. it has an overhead camper on it that was my late fathers. it takes up the same amount of space as my truck but would be nice to drop it somewhere so i can use my truck more efficiently for carpentry work.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:46   #8

Boat: Wauquiez Gladiateur, 33’

You could put the boat in Indiantown, Florida. Much less expensive. Many boat owners have gone to this one to work on their boats. Watch the early MJ Sailing on Uoutube. Also you can live aboard, although you will need transportation
Whosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:07   #9

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Responded to your private message. I think it may be a good fit! Many decades ago I was a snowboard instructor. Lots in common.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:24   #10

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

I wouldn't put too much hope in the You Tube idea - seems like it takes at least three years for them to actually start gaining traction. Choto's offer seems much more viable in your situation. And I too spent a couple of years ski bumming - a tough way to save/make any money.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 11:17   #11

CaptVR here:
This is very simplistic, did you ask at the marina if you could overnight there. I am a retired marine surveyor, have worked in and for marinas all over the state of Florida. I don't know one do it yourself marina in the state that does not let you stay on your boat or vehicle if parked next to your boat while working on it. Most do have a maximum yard time, or fee's go up dramatically.
Also, electric is included for working on the boat, many yards charge an electric charge if you are staying on your boat, which is understandable.
All have respectable heads and showers. Some do restrict your critters.
Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret. St. Petersburg, Fl.
CF32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 11:22   #12

Skip Galveston, go to Florida, get some cash in the kitty, work on the boat in Indiantown once your situation is stabilized. Florida gets hotter than the blazes in summer, so do it before or after that.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:32   #13

Boat: Island Packet 32

I agree with others. You will do much better in FL than pier77, which is not a very pleasant boat yard. As mentioned, if you are a good finish carpenter, that talent is hard to come by, and here in TX commands very good wages. I suspect the same is true in FL; you will have no trouble supporting yourself and Ace in fairly good style.
Old 11-01-2020, 17:05   #14

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

Many, Many job opportunities in Fl for you, just find a place "Squat" while you work tings out & get the cruising going.

Check Indian Head Marina (Spelling) for live in camper & work on boats.

Best of luck my friend, & I'll see you in the Carib soon

Capt/ Wayne
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 13:46   #15

Boat: Morgan 1974 OI 41

$3500 haul/$800 crane? What the xxxx kind of boat yard is that? You definitely need to skip Texas and head to Florida. Where I am in Virginia round trip haul out and blocking for your boat and a month of storage would be less than $500.
winschwab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease