Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2013, 21:07   #61
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

I like this song on the topic
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 21:09   #62
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktiGurl View Post
I am actually curious about this as well. Along with and all the rest. I've been an internet peruser (and gamer) for a pretty long time, follow reddit and such, but I've never seen these symbologies anywhere else. I didn't want to start a thread (for reasons mentioned here but since someone asked ???

Nice to see another new forum member in my age group (at least I assume so cuz you game) posting regularly. Welcome to CF!

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 00:25   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
"I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?"

You are always wrong if I am an ex US Coast Guard Lt Commander

Dare I say or an RYA instructor or an ISPA Yachtmaster Offshore Instructor Evaluator?

Ooooooh, I am going to be in sooooooo much trouble for those two comments
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Are you talking to me?
Jackdale, you are my favourite ISPA Yachtmaster Offshore Instructor Evaluator xxx

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 00:45   #64
Armchair Bucketeer

Of course it is easy to sit on the sidelines tut tutting - the "solution" is to contribute in a way that suits "you".
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 05:04   #65

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Speaking as a CF forum NOOB I see two things happening, certainly they happen to me.

1. So much of the tone of a message is lost in a written communication. This happens a lot in the corporate world that I reluctantly frequent to fund my sailing ambitions. People accidently rub each other the wrong way simply because without the accompanying body language much of the message is lot. I tend to walk around to the desk of the person I need to communicate with whenever practical, particularly with complex issues. It's safer.

2. Nobody knows the level of knowledge you have, particularly as NOOB. Reasonably enough, when I post a question, I sometimes get a lot "extra answer" that I didn't ask for. I could easily be offended and feel patronised, until I step back and say "hang on, this advice is given with the best intentions, the person posting a reply to a question I asked knows nothing about me except that I have asked for help. Perhaps I should be thankful for their extra effort instead of feeling patronised. After all, I ASKED for help."

Either way, I am grateful for the advice I get here, it's like having a family history of ten generations of sea captain to draw on, with the advantage that it is up to date knowledge.

Matt
Well said! I believe that would sum up my experience and feelings here as well. To be a new to CF member you have to be a little thick-skinned and no so serious all the time. Sometimes I believe the 'Old Salts' do like to take a poke at us NOOBs now and again. But I believe it is their way of discovering what kind of people we are by how we react, sans eye contact and body language. I have found it is really important to pay to the emoticon, that what could be read as an insult was someone just playing with you. How you react informs on what kind of person you are. I do not generally use the emoticons, because I post from the iPad app and have discovered no way to do so. However, if I feel they are important to my post I will place the post from the website so I have access to them.

I have to hand it to these guys though, they will (usual) answer, sincerely, the same newbie question over and over the first time they post in the thread. On the second and third post in the thread, all bets are off and the fun seems to begin.

For the last five years CF has been the first place my husband and I have gone for info/help/advice for all things sailboat and cruising. My husband doesn't post but he has become a master at mining the CF archives for all things technical and discussions about pros and cons of different brands (i.e. when we were trying to decide what toilet to buy).

For me, I enjoy the social side to CF and the connections I have made being a member here. However, it is true "Only CF members can make an argument over which way the toilet paper should come off the roll." Or something like that, I read that in someone's signature, but can't remember who.

Robyn
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 05:13   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

It is not really any different than joining a club though. You go in and there are two ways to go about it. Ease in gently and see who are the good guys and who are the "noisy' ones, or go in loud and become the one who turns folks off. Finding somewhere in between these two is usually reserved for practised schmoozers and charlatans. I feel that if you can make a joke about yourself before making them about others it makes some of the ice melt and whatever you do, don't take yourself too seriously, because nobody else will.

Coops.
Old 14-07-2013, 05:22   #67

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post

Nice to see another new forum member in my age group (at least I assume so cuz you game) posting regularly. Welcome to CF!
Hey there! Maybe so. I guess we would be considered "gen-x" but my millenial kids keep me up to date. Do you play on the Steam servers? I am ShaktiGurl there too and have had this moniker for 15 years. Sadly I don't have the good connections on board like I had on land to play multiplayer anymore.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 05:48   #68
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeback View Post
The saddest part of CF, to my way of thinking, is the lost opportunity to hear from those who make mistakes and therefore others learn by them. This is such a tough crowd to admit errors to, that I am sure we don't hear the real story behind 90% of goof ups. Potentially this forum could soar if the knockers could just resist. Typically what happens first is a news item will appear about a sailing accident in some national newspaper. Someone will post a link here on CF and before long we have all the armchair sailor's in creation giving their point of view. Someone will post a derogatory comment and before long we have mud slinging going on. Do we ever get a chance to the skipper's side? .........No and I wonder why?
Yeah... but how many times must one be expected to tell the tales of personal stupidity.. it soon becomes a boring song... even to me who considers my many cock-ups hilarious..
And this crowd aint tough... if they were the Mod's would not get so many complaints about me..
As to hearing the Skippers side... most skip out pretty fast... a few hang in there and give as good as they get... but that's when the 'No Fair' brigade move in...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 06:21   #69

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
It is not really any different than joining a club though. You go in and there are two ways to go about it. Ease in gently and see who are the good guys and who are the "noisy' ones, or go in loud and become the one who turns folks off. Finding somewhere in between these two is usually reserved for practised schmoozers and charlatans. I feel that if you can make a joke about yourself before making them about others it makes some of the ice melt and whatever you do, don't take yourself too seriously, because nobody else will.

Coops.

Excellent post. Bold type says it best.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 06:29   #70

I am surprised that no one has made a comparison to Sailing Anarchy.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 07:24   #71

Boat: O'Day 28

Ok Jack, I'll do it. Your info/experience is good stuff; far beyond mine.

Your signature is way over the top, however. Perhaps you use it over on SA, I don't know, but wow! man. From what I hear, SAnarchists would boil you in whale oil.

I feel the same way about bloggers' advertising in their signatures. An obvious exception can be made for commercial members.

It's one thing for serious sailors to tell their adventures; and another for weekenders IMO. The world has Facebook for chatting with your family.

As Coops indicated above, it's another thing altogether if the references to one's blog are humorous in a self-deprecating way, or at least not pompous. But if a blog professes knowledge that the known facts do not even remotely support, well, ... hell. Happy Sunday or Monday, as the case may be.

Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 07:32   #72
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktiGurl View Post
Hey there! Maybe so. I guess we would be considered "gen-x" but my millenial kids keep me up to date. Do you play on the Steam servers? I am ShaktiGurl there too and have had this moniker for 15 years. Sadly I don't have the good connections on board like I had on land to play multiplayer anymore.

Oh, yes. Been on Steam since the very beginning. I am Kordts. Sounds like you've been there since early days too. You're a rare animal.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 08:00   #73

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Ok, I give up.
I've been trying to work out what YMMV means for months but didn't particularly want to enhance my dork image any further.
I've always managed to work out the LMAO or IMHO etc etc, but I have to concede defeat on this one.
Somebody help...

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 08:04   #74
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Your Mileage Might Vary
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 08:05   #75
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote