Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2013, 12:34   #31

Re: If I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?

Let's be careful with this "sheeple" thing:

xkcd: Wake Up Sheeple
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 12:47   #32

Boat: a sailing boat

1) I think most of us derive some pleasure from disagreeing, and most of us feel some amount of discomfort when others disagree with us.

2) We are mean creatures, much as at times we will elect to pretend being educated (say, when participating in a forum, where being rude is punished).

3) There is even less manouvering room in real life discussions (a.k.a. face to face) - the stronger personality (not the better argument) wins. So, at CF, we are blessed.

But it is worth trying. It would be some sort of waste of time, if the only outcome were that we have learned another boat maintenance trick. If we grow as persons, learning to manage ours, and others', misguided frustrations, then I say any forum is worth the eco footprint it creates.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 12:57   #33

I certainly contribute far less now than I did as a newer member precisely because I find the negativity and personal attacks too prevalent. I have tried a number of times to inject some positivity into the community by highlighting a story or an idea that I believed could bring some joy only to find the conversation deteriorate into negativity and judgement. There are lots of great people here and some interesting convos and good advice and some laughs so I continue to lurk and learn but I sure would appreciate a little more self-restraint on the misery sharing by some folks sometimes.
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 13:24   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
  1. Forum advice is worth exactly what you've paid for it. If you combine it with some self-education and research, it becomes much more valuable.
  2. Opinions on something technical almost always converge around a few (or just one) solution, when there is sufficient understanding and knowledge. Remaining debate is either misunderstanding, or sport.
  3. People who use a SAILING forum as a springboard for non-sailing political wankery (guns climate-change etc) should be keel-hauled. Then banned. I speak from experience, as someone who has been cautioned a few times, and banned from another forum.
  4. Someone with "Political correctness is a creeping sickness that knows no boundaries" in their sig, should be regarded with suspicion as a possible #3 offender. Just saying.
#3 & #4 Really ? Surely you jest...

Can someone help me understand what this ""(Whistling) is used for ?

Is it:
1) Me so happy I bashed someone

2) Don't take it personal. Just talking out my butt...

3) I am whistling in the dark hoping I get home to mommy before
the bashee catches me and kicks my butt.
4) I ain't cool, but I wanna be...
5) No one really knows it just makes everyone think about sex and forget
what they just read...
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 13:33   #35

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Just modified my signature in honor of the original post....

{Edit: removed the emoticom from above due to its being non-universally understood.}
( now grinning... )
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 13:34   #36

Boat: 36' Cabo Rico Tiburon

In the spirit of positive contributions to CF and in response to the OP’s rhetoric,
May I say, some people just do love to argue. It’s their reason detre, their drug of choice. They’ll jump at every chance to assert their perceived moral or intellectual superiority. Seemingly more so on a public forum.

So many honestly believe they are charming, witty and fun to be around when in fact they are just boorish.

I’d just like to say cheers to you though Frank, your post comes across to me as a plea for tolerance and as such, it’s heartfelt.

I trust you are enjoying the Greek Islands mate! And so you should, in peace.
You’ve earned it digger. Much respect to you. Have a bloody good one.
SoulJah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 13:43   #37

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post

Can someone help me understand what this ""(Whistling) is used for ?

I am actually curious about this as well. Along with and all the rest. I've been an internet peruser (and gamer) for a pretty long time, follow reddit and such, but I've never seen these symbologies anywhere else. I didn't want to start a thread (for reasons mentioned here but since someone asked ???
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 14:06   #38

Boat: Skookum 53'

Much of the misunderstandings that deteriorate into brawls can be attributed to the lack of eye contact during the exchange, we are unable to read body English or hear the tone, something meant to be playful can come across as mean. The little emotion thingys help some. And has been presented, some people just like to disagree. This is one of the few forums that I participate in, and I enjoy the interaction, mostly when it involves trouble shooting a mechanical problem. I have learned much from those threads, and the information regarding different folks, different product experiences. (However all you catamaran people are crazy wrong, same with the manson supreme lovers. (Joke).)
Old 13-07-2013, 14:09   #39

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Our Rules offer some good advice, including:

“... Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated.
Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully.
Excessive sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable ...”
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ork&page=rules
Good point...We have rules. We have Mods. Occasionally, they pull someone up by the short ends for causing problems but generally we are self policing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
I certainly contribute far less now than I did as a newer member precisely because I find the negativity and personal attacks too prevalent. I have tried a number of times to inject some positivity into the community by highlighting a story or an idea that I believed could bring some joy only to find the conversation deteriorate into negativity and judgement. There are lots of great people here and some interesting convos and good advice and some laughs so I continue to lurk and learn but I sure would appreciate a little more self-restraint on the misery sharing by some folks sometimes.
I think a lot of that can be misinterpreted. Labeling someone as racist or sexist on the forum due to one or two vague comments is a good example. . Likely getting to know the person better, you may understand their personality better.

What I have seen on the forum in the last year or so are more newer folks who give their opinions as facts without real world knowledge. I shutter at the thought, people following their suggestions. But then...Why come to this forum asking questions about legal matters and such. Bottom line...it's the Internet. People will say things they normally would not in a face to face meeting with others. It's the nature of the e-beast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of untitled.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	64042  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 14:12   #40

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJah View Post
"Love, Peace and Soul." three sentiments I personally have never perceived from any of your posts Rog. even though your sig appears to paraphrase one of America's greatest liberal thinkers (Ed Murrow). Who's the Hypocrite now?

Souljah, I didn't know the Forum was graced with a celebrity, A.K.A. Souljah Boy, but thanks for the kind words. I am quite surprised a perceptive man (I assume) of your stature quotes one of America's late and great "talking heads" of Journalism-- Edward R. Murrow. But, the armchair wisdom by a philosopher of the masses needs further explanation:

A wise man learns by listening-- Does the wise man ever talk once he has
become enlightened or is his intelligence
assumed and his life is an endless act
of listening?

An average man learns by his experience-- So one's life experience
whether, mundane or profound, will
deem him always average?

A fool doesn't learn, he knows everything-- Agreed.

With philosophers the ilks of Nietsche, Schopenhauer, Kant, Hegel, and Wagner where does E.R. Murrow fall in the wisdom of the Western World-- perhaps Alfred E. Neuman of comic book fame?
But, thanks for the wakeup call to a comment I believe I made in humor and your personal take on the above subject. I was very impressed with your latest video and I enclose it for our readers to enjoy. Peace, Love and Soul--Captain Rognvald of the Illinois Order of the Faint and Bleeding Heart.
Soulja Boy Tell'em - Turn My Swag On - YouTube
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 14:32   #41

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktiGurl View Post
I am actually curious about this as well. Along with and all the rest. I've been an internet peruser (and gamer) for a pretty long time, follow reddit and such, but I've never seen these symbologies anywhere else. I didn't want to start a thread (for reasons mentioned here but since someone asked ???

I believe it means that the comment made was meant to be "tongue in cheek" and the thumbs up with a wink implies agreement with the poster. That's my take on it.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 14:45   #42
Armchair Bucketeer

is a sign of faux innocence.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 14:55   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
"I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?"

You are always wrong if I am an ex US Coast Guard Lt Commander

Dare I say or an RYA instructor or an ISPA Yachtmaster Offshore Instructor Evaluator?

Ooooooh, I am going to be in sooooooo much trouble for those two comments
Are you talking to me?
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 16:56   #44
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
"I Don't Agree With You am I Therefore wrong?"

You are always wrong if I am an ex US Coast Guard Lt Commander

Dare I say or an RYA instructor or an ISPA Yachtmaster Offshore Instructor Evaluator?

Ooooooh, I am going to be in sooooooo much trouble for those two comments

Why? You'll be i trouble if you think you have the only valid knowledge and experience no matter what your backround is.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 17:27   #45

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktiGurl View Post
You must have some blocker in place then because it would be like driving around and not seeing grass (or tumble weeds).

The better ones have many more and when you hover over them they offer a definition (although only one - and it is shot). They help a lot to "fill in the blanks" of sterile text. Thus the term emoticons.

Now that I have written this, I realize that you were just trolling.....................and you hooked me.

Where is that "finger" icon?