Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2013, 21:56   #46

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: I am sick of being Bullied by my Big Brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
How do you play a hockey? Is it stringed, brass, or a woodwind? Or is it a bagpipe derivative? Oh, no, I think it's percussion isn't it?
You take a Canadian and bite it's big toe really hard. If it is properly in turn, the scream can be very soothing...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 22:20   #47

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

^ Fighting talk sir! But you are right. Lots of percussion and concussion.
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 22:55   #48

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out.
Rodney Dangerfield
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 20:50   #49

Boat: Pearson 281
Well I came back here because some aspects of this forum I have missed but now I am sooo done.
I am utterly sick of the U.S. bashing that goes on here. You understand nothing about the conservative political shenanigans that have been aimed at trying to sink the USPS so that it can be privatized and ruined. The USPS has been, for many many years one of the most reliable services provided any taxpayers ANYWHERE in the world and if just left alone to take care of business it would continue as such.
Shame on you... do your homework before you c#%p on your country.
Goodbye all. Many fine helpful sailors here and thank you.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 21:12   #50

NO NEED TO GO POSTAL ... ... just a friendly exchange of ideas.

BTW, I like and support USPS ... the best postal service anywhere!
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 21:19   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAtSea2011 View Post
USPS is a joke. If you actually want something to get where you paid for it to get to, then use FedEx or UPS. Even though its more expensive, at least you know it will get there.
I've shipped thousands of packages with USPS and never had a single damaged product or a single returned product. Not one single complaint and I ship a lot international with USPS. Lots to NZ and Australia plus Canada. Zero issues...

Two weeks ago the UPS guy tossed a package onto my steps from about six feet away turned and climbed back into his truck.. He did not know I had just pulled into my driveway and was in my car on the phone watching the whole thing.. He got an ear full.... The package came from Defender and contained a Balmar Duo Charger. I made him stay there while I opened it and inspected it. It gets installed tomorrow and it better work..... Was six more feet of walking going to kill him...?

It was kind of like this move:

Or this one...

I am beginning to suspect this is actually taught in UPS training....

Nope FedEx too....

I ship with all three and honestly don't find any of them any worse than another.
Old 17-01-2013, 21:29   #52

Gees........ why leave now the hockey season is about to start. Makes sense to play it in the spring and summer in Cal and Florida.

USPS is great that is the point of this rant. Anyway good and bad in every part of the world including the USA. No ones perfect well apart from the French but we will not go there!http://www.cruisersforum.com/images/.../whistling.gif
Old 17-01-2013, 21:43   #53
Formerly: Capt Wraun

Boat: Corbin39 CC Cutter Rig

I have been refusing to order from companies that will not ship USPS for a number of years. I believe it was 2006 when I was charged more for brokerage fees than the item + shipping by UPS. The item alone was $99.00 and by the time taxes, shipping and brokerage were added on it was $240 and change.
If shipping by USPS is not an option listed on the web site, I will either find the same product at a different web site, or failing that, I will email the company and explain the situation. So far most have been willing to ship via USPS when asked. Those that don't, miss out on a sale.

Too bad, so sad... for them
Old 17-01-2013, 22:20   #54

Originally Posted by LostAtSea2011
USPS is a joke. If you actually want something to get where you paid for it to get to, then use FedEx or UPS. Even though its more expensive, at least you know it will get there.

Look at Defenders rates USPS is not the cheapest! SRN about states, the fees charged are a gouge, plain and simple. USPS (and I use them a lot) are great. Quick and reliable.
Old 17-01-2013, 22:47   #55

NAFTA should have eliminated all barriers to cross-border trade but fell far short. Europe has done a much better job at this.
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 22:53   #56

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

An increasing problem here in Europe is that asking someone to send something by mail doesn't guarantee delivery by the postal service anymore.
When I buy something from the UK, and ask it to be mailed the Royal Mail will nicely hand it over to Swiss Post, and I will get it promptly and without a lot of fuss.
However, if I buy something in Germany, and have them ship it using Deutsche Post, the delivery will be done here in Switzerland by DHL. This because Deutsche Post now owns DHL.
And that's a problem.
For starters customs clearance charges are higher for DHL than they are with Swiss Post.
Secondly DHL will attempt to deliver during daytime, when I'm rarely home. That usually fails, and then I have to go to the DHL depot, which is not exactly in a convenient location for a car-less person like me.
With Swiss Post I can in stead have it delivered straight to a whole slew of pick up points, that are open till late. As a result I end up in possession of my parcel a lot sooner.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 09:02   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
NAFTA should have eliminated all barriers to cross-border trade but fell far short. Europe has done a much better job at this.
One of the strangest quirks is that gear that is made in Canada, shipped to the US and sold, is not only liable to Canadian Taxes (Ah I like medical coverage etc) but what buggers me is paying custom duties on it going back into Canada.
Old 18-01-2013, 13:48   #58

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

So you folks actually get your stuff delivered do you,--luckeee.
USPS doesn't speak English apparently, so we never get anything that is supposed to get to our postal service.
FedEx, UPS,DHL, all use to same 727 to get freight to Bermuda daily, where "overnight" is at least a week.
Local saying is that we buy that 727 every day.
True story: construction equipment owner purchased 2 tickets on the red-eye to JFK. Carried a 6 cylinder CAT head on board, swapped it in NY, flew back that night.
Cheaper and quicker than freight.
Old 18-01-2013, 14:50   #59

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
What NAFTA apparently eliminated barriers to was corporations was moving all our jobs to China.
Old 18-01-2013, 16:14   #60

Boat: Niagara 35

One more vote for never using UPS to cross the border. Also, things that come USPS almost never seem to have the HST added. No idea why.

I've only tried once to bring something accross myself ($850 worth of alternator kit) and ended up having to pay the HST at the border. Not only did I pay Washington State sales tax plus the HST, I actually paid HST on the amount of the sales tax! Add to that the driving time, time waiting in line at the border each way, gas, etc. and it would have been much cheaper coming from Binnacle.com.

Many people don't have to pay HST at the border, though, even when they declare they've picked something up. It seems pretty random.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote