Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2017, 06:02   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Michigan
Boat: Hans Christian 33T I hope and pray someday, currently have a Four Winns 22.5 cuddycab
Posts: 5
Help plz

Hey guys and gals I am looking at this boat 1983 Dickerson 41 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com. The broker says it has tabbing issues in two places he knows of in two different hanging lockers, I have no idea how serious a problem this is or how difficult it could be to fix any help would be greatly appreciated.
__________________

Roland H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:45   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 190
Re: Help plz

As I understand it, 'tabbing' is the attachment of the bulkheads to the hull. Fibreglass 'tabs' are used. A 'tabbing issue' may mean that the bulkhead is becoming detached from the hull. If the bulkheads in question are structural, it's a very serious issue indeed, requiring attention.
There are three factors I can think of:
1. A previous owner has damaged the tabbing in some way.
2. Some major trauma has damaged the tabbing.
3. There is some doubt about the build quality. (Even on a forty-year-old boat, the structural integrity should be sound.)
The problem can be fixed. I would get a professional to repair the damage. First of all, I would get a reputable surveyor to check the whole boat thoroughly, there may be other problems if, for instance, the boat has been dropped from a hoist at some time.
It's also possible that the bulkheads in question are non-structural, and repair is an easy job. A surveyor will tell you. If there's an owner's group for that type of boat, that might be helpful too.
Good luck.
__________________

Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:58   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: TX
Boat: Whitby 42
Posts: 190
Re: Help plz

It always amazes me, the faith people have in surveyors. We have bought and sold four boats and none of the surveyors involved could tell their a$$ from a hole in the ground or find it with both hands and a map.
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:28   #4
Registered User
 
snbrooker's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tucson
Boat: Formosa F46 46'
Posts: 13
Re: Help plz

Can anyone help me sort out how to post? I can reply it seems but no where do I see a new post option... used to work as I posted a few things in the past...
Shane
snbrooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:44   #5
Marine Service Provider
 
boatpoker's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Whitby, Ontario or Bahamas
Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Posts: 4,074
Re: Help plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHorn View Post
It always amazes me, the faith people have in surveyors. We have bought and sold four boats and none of the surveyors involved could tell their a$$ from a hole in the ground or find it with both hands and a map.
Should've hired better surveyors, they are out there.

How to Chose A Marine Surveyor

How to Become a Marine Surveyor
__________________
That hysterical laughter you hear as you sail a way in your "new" boat ..... is the seller.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:55   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 190
Re: Help plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHorn View Post
It always amazes me, the faith people have in surveyors. We have bought and sold four boats and none of the surveyors involved could tell their a$$ from a hole in the ground or find it with both hands and a map.


Well, that merely shows how people's experiences vary. I have had extremely helpful surveys done, and I know others who would concur. Why should it amaze you that people get good results from surveyors who have a great deal of experience and knowledge? I'm more surprised when I hear negative reports.

If someone has little or no knowledge or experience, and I'm guessing the OP's in that category, would you advise them to take a chance on buying any old boat?
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:11   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29° 49.16’ N 82° 25.82’ W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 14,471
Re: Help plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by snbrooker View Post
Can anyone help me sort out how to post? I can reply it seems but no where do I see a new post option... used to work as I posted a few things in the past...
Shane
Here is one, quick, easy way.

Go to the top of any page. Just under the logo "Cruisers Forum" there are nine menu boxes you can select. The second from the left is "Forums". Highlight that box which opens a drop down menu of all the forums. Click on the appropriate forum and a new window opens.

Go the the bottom of that page and you will see a box labeled "New Thread". Click on that and there you go.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
Sometimes it's necessary to state the obvious for the benefit of the oblivious.
Rust is the poor man's Loctite.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 13:58   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: TX
Boat: Whitby 42
Posts: 190
Re: Help plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Should've hired better surveyors, they are out there.

How to Chose A Marine Surveyor

How to Become a Marine Surveyor
First boat we bought, 41' CC ketch. Had diesel smell inside and bilge water was a little pink we later found out. Moving up from a Hobie 16 we had no experience with inboards so thought that was normal. Surveyors was supposed to be the best in the area. Later determined that the smell and pink bilge water was due to leaking fuel tanks. Fixed that and lived aboard for six years. Selling the boat the buyer hired the same surveyor. He now determined the fuel tanks were leaking. Based it on some pink foam under the tanks which was still pink from the previous leak. At this, no smell, clean bilges.
I firmly believe he was encouraged, bribed is such an ugly word, when we bought to make sure sure the sale went through. When we sold he was encouraged to find serious problems so the buyer could knock down the price. Every survey we've had done after that wrote up problems that did not exist and missed issues that did exist. If it wasn't for insurance or finance reasons, I would never hire another surveyor.
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 14:30   #9
Marine Service Provider
 
boatpoker's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Whitby, Ontario or Bahamas
Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Posts: 4,074
Re: Help plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHorn View Post
First boat we bought, 41' CC ketch. Had diesel smell inside and bilge water was a little pink we later found out. Moving up from a Hobie 16 we had no experience with inboards so thought that was normal. Surveyors was supposed to be the best in the area. Later determined that the smell and pink bilge water was due to leaking fuel tanks. Fixed that and lived aboard for six years. Selling the boat the buyer hired the same surveyor. He now determined the fuel tanks were leaking. Based it on some pink foam under the tanks which was still pink from the previous leak. At this, no smell, clean bilges.
I firmly believe he was encouraged, bribed is such an ugly word, when we bought to make sure sure the sale went through. When we sold he was encouraged to find serious problems so the buyer could knock down the price. Every survey we've had done after that wrote up problems that did not exist and missed issues that did exist. If it wasn't for insurance or finance reasons, I would never hire another surveyor.
Sorry you had such an experience. I agree 90% of the surveyors out there are useless charlatans. After being in the business for 25 years and knowing the quality of work of all 250 surveyors in Ontario, there are only three that I recommend. I also know many surveyors on the east coast of the US and again there are very few I would hire myself. You really have to dig and do a thorough "due diligence" but the good guys are out there.
__________________
That hysterical laughter you hear as you sail a way in your "new" boat ..... is the seller.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:08   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 190
Re: Help plz

It would be unhelpful to turn this into a thread about surveyors, so I'll just reiterate that the OP needs someone who knows what they're looking at to assess the problem, whether that be a surveyor or boatbuilder or whatever.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:29   #11
Registered User
 
Suijin's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Exumas
Boat: Valiant 40
Posts: 4,602
Re: Help plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland H View Post
Hey guys and gals I am looking at this boat 1983 Dickerson 41 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com. The broker says it has tabbing issues in two places he knows of in two different hanging lockers, I have no idea how serious a problem this is or how difficult it could be to fix any help would be greatly appreciated.
And no one here can help you with that.

It could be very serious, it could be not so serious. All depends on the cause, the extent, and access to repair.

Personally, I would walk away from the boat. Where there is smoke there is fire, and a full survey would be required to know the extent. Even then you might never know and it would have nothing to do with the quality of the surveyor.

That's a pretty lousy blocking job in those outdoor photos. Would not be surprised if the boat fell over. That would certainly explain a fistful of busted tabbing.
__________________

Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some Help Identifying this Boat PLZ! AZ Parothead Monohull Sailboats 34 27-07-2016 17:29
Looking to liveaboard first boat in FL, plz advise phairest General Sailing Forum 7 15-06-2015 20:25
need your help plz wannasail Monohull Sailboats 10 10-10-2005 09:12

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:08.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.