Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2017, 20:37   #1

Help me pick out a suitable boat

Just like the title suggests I'm a newbie needing advice on a boat .... the things I'm looking for are 3 cabins ....i have two younger kids ages 11 and 12 and having a space of their own is important .... I'm considering doing a 6-12 month (while homeschooling) in the exumas and carribean so prefer shallow draft...... I keep flip flopping on boats I'd like but I'm trying to budget around 50k maybe more if need be
But as we all know all boats are a compromise I think I'd prefer a Morgan oi41 but with only 2 cabins it would leave one of my kids feeling as if they didn't have their own space having to drop down a table each night to sleep and their "bedroom" disappearing daily when we all were using the table and settee again..... lately I've been looking at the Gemini 3400 and even more lately looking back a few years older to the Gemini 3000 as it's in essence the same boat no MAJOR MAJOR changes between a 3000/3200/3400 so I figured I'd save a few 20 or 30k to put in standing rigging chain plates and bottom work...... but I'm just wondering is a Gemini the cheapest route to a 3 cabin boat???
Any advice on other boats in the same price point as Gemini 3000-3400 Is appreciated
Whgoffrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 20:57   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Help me pick out a suitable boat

iirc, some of the Jeanneaus had 3 cabins.

Why could you not divide the aft cabin, and let each child have 1/2? Alternatively, you and your wife could sleep on the settees. You'd have to figure out about sharing drawers and hanging lockers. Or, for the duration of the cruise, you could have same gender parent and child sleeping together. This is only for sleep, after all, and only for 6 months, a relatively short time, over all.

Now if the real dream is for longer, like years, and the kids are different gender from each other, then possibly you'd all be happier with three cabins.

The Gemini is a pretty lightly built boat. You'd have to decide if it were stout enough for you. The mulltihull folks on this forum might have some useful input for you about that.

Ann
Old 08-08-2017, 21:41   #3

Re: Help me pick out a suitable boat

Yeah that's the drawback to the Gemini is lighter built than the other contenders I've contemplated (Morgan oi , endeavor 37 , cal 41 )
I've looked to see if I could find any of the ex charter 3 cabin boats by Beneteau but all were closer to 100k and so each time I keep coming back to the geminis
I realize it's a lighter made boat but hopefully strong enough for the type of seas in bahamas and carribean
Whgoffrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat