Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2024, 13:55   #1

Boat: Morgan 382
Growing ChatGPT use on the site.

I didn't know where else to post this, but I didn't want to contaminate other threads. As an example:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3865085

This is starting to happen often. This is obviously an A.I. In fact as a test, I asked ChatGPT the question and got a very similar and almost identical response.

An A.I. by itself isn't able to make a post. My guess is that someone(s) are developing an interface/application that will use ChatGPT and scan the site to generate quality answers, or to generate content to use on other sites. For example, an automated Facebook post based on recent discussions.

That is only a guess of the why, but ChatGPT is here, on this site. Are the owners doing anything about it? I am concerned that without early action, in time this site will be unusable, plagued with most posts made by A.I., poorly generated from past posts or posts on other sites.
Old 29-01-2024, 14:02   #2

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Growing ChatGPT use on the site.

The only thing I can think is that this/these accounts are trying to establish a "reputable" presence here, and then they'll try to scam people in the classifieds.

I definitely look through people's post history before I consider buying anything through the site.
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 14:27   #3

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Quick guideline: If it actually tries to answer the OP's question, and does it without any snarky comments, it has to be AI.

Seriously, that post was formulaic. It shows the limitations of AI, which is that it reflects common knowledge instead of making insightful observations that might actually help you.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 15:33   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanachie View Post
Quick guideline: If it actually tries to answer the OP's question, and does it without any snarky comments, it has to be AI.

Seriously, that post was formulaic. It shows the limitations of AI, which is that it reflects common knowledge instead of making insightful observations that might actually help you.
Yes, but the way for an A.I. to make more insightful observations that are less formulaic is for them to engage in discussion with humans. And part of what I expect is that some person/company is attempting to do that on this site. I have seen a few Sailing/Cruising oriented chatbot/assistants that could be based on such training. Here is one of many that I have seen:
https://chat.openai.com/g/g-wDsZseM2...ling-companion

But when the A.I. is degrading the content of this platform, I think some intervention needs to occur to prevent it form happening. The following article describes it. That A.I. generates content for a platform. Then the AI is trained on the AI generated content, and it spirals downward from there, until the platform isn't usable anymore.

https://mashable.com/article/ai-gene...a-already-here
Old 29-01-2024, 15:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
The only thing I can think is that this/these accounts are trying to establish a "reputable" presence here, and then they'll try to scam people in the classifieds.

I definitely look through people's post history before I consider buying anything through the site.
I don't think that is it. I think they are trying to train/scrape the site to make an A.I. more knowledgeable on sailing. There are for more effective ways to make a fake/reputable profile than with terrible A.I. content.
Old 29-01-2024, 15:54   #6

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

I see where your sense of alarm is coming from.

The terrible thing would be AI chatbots coded to respond to a discussion on, say, electronics with posts that push for a particular brand, regardless of its quality.

Or, if a discussion is critical of a particular product, bombarding the thread with posts to drown out the legitimate complaint of the OP.

On the positive side, AI chatbots might kill the Internet. Then the world would surely be a better place. Sailors would have to go to the local marina bar to talk shop.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 16:19   #7

Quote:

The terrible thing would be AI chatbots coded to respond to a discussion on, say, electronics with posts that push for a particular brand, regardless of its quality.

Or, if a discussion is critical of a particular product, bombarding the thread with posts to drown out the legitimate complaint of the OP.

On the positive side, AI chatbots might kill the Internet. Then the world would surely be a better place. Sailors would have to go to the local marina bar to talk shop.
That is a very plausible scenario to be concerned about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
I bet chatgpt can’t replicate the posting style of a cruiser at 2030 hrs, after the 4th sundowner using a cellphone to share their knowledge.
I think you would win that bet. But it'll try:

Quote:
Ahoy, me hearties! It's 2030 hrs, and I'm sailin' under the moonlight after knockin' back a few too many sundowners. Grab yer grog, 'cause I'm 'bout to spin ye a yarn 'bout the last 24 hours on the high seas.

Settin' Sail with a Cheer:

The day kicked off with the sun risin' all bright and cheerful-like. We hoisted the sails and cast off, full of the promise of adventure. The wind was as playful as a mischievous sea sprite, tuggin' us along the coastline.

Discoverin' Hidden Coves... Maybe:

We decided to explore some hidden coves, or at least we think we did. See, after the third sundowner, the distinction between hidden coves and random bays got a bit blurry. But who cares? The water was clear as a parrot's eye, and we dove right in, wherever that was.

Dancin' with Drunk Dolphins:

Somewhere along the way, we met a bunch of dolphins, or so we reckon. They were flippin' and floppin' about, and we joined 'em for a tipsy dance-off. It's all fun and games till ye realize you've been chattin' with a floating log, but we laughed anyway.

Rough Waters, Shiver Me Timbers:

The wind picked up, and the sea turned into a proper rumble. Now, navigatin' through that mess was like tryin' to walk a straight line after one too many, but we were sailors, and we persevered. Or at least, we thought we did.

Sundowners Galore:

After a day of blurry adventures, we anchored in a spot that looked a lot like the last spot. It was time for our fourth sundowner, and by now, we were as wobbly as a pirate on a peg leg. We swapped wild tales and sang sea shanties that would make a banshee plug her ears.

Sailing by the Moonlight, or Somethin' Like That:

Now, it's 2030 hrs, and we're sailin' under the moonlight. The stars are like shiny gold doubloons, and the sails are doin' some mystical dance. Or maybe I'm just seein' double. Either way, it's a sight to behold.

Conclusion... I Think:

As I sit here, sharin' this slurred tale through my cellphone, I can't help but chuckle. Life at sea can be a bit blurry, especially after a few too many sundowners, but it's a rollickin' good time. So, raise yer glass, mateys, and here's to more wobbly adventures on the high seas!

Until the next rum-filled escapade, may the winds be at yer back, and the seas not too wavy!
Old 29-01-2024, 23:27   #8
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Mod note - if you see any post that you believe is AI generated, please report it by the usual method of using the 'report' icon located at the bottom LHS of every post.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2024, 01:14   #9

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Thanks WholyBee for recognising the post's origin and going to the trouble of bringing it to everyone's attention.

I can't say that it especially concerns me. The post itself is dull and quite vanilla offering nothing really.

For myself I've played with ChatGPT a great deal and in my experience I really don't see it taking over the world. The results it proffered tending to be little better than a glorified search. Also it has no understanding or nuance. It's very American centric (that I resent) and I found it always sat on the fence with any issue.

Is it unfair to penalise the members for using an AI to generate a post? That's a question for the moderators and 'real' members I guess.
Old 30-01-2024, 04:09   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Points to ponder:

Experts scientists predict human-level artificial intelligence, by 2030.
However, I expect it to occur sooner, because we keep dropping the bar.

The fact, that artificial intelligence has learned to draw, is nothing.
Think about what may happen, when he/it is not accepted, into the Vienna Academy of Arts.

Eve, eating the apple, marked the first time, when Artificial Intelligence got out of its creator's control.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2024, 12:18   #11

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
That is a very plausible scenario to be concerned about.

I think you would win that bet. But it'll try:
you know, if it had mentioned manatees and pizza I'd have bought it!
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 08:59   #12

Quote:

Thats exactly what i thought. My first impression was that it was being trained as a subtle advertising tool to recomend products in a way that seems authentic. Internet advertising 3.0?
BAD ORCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 16:01   #13

I bet chatgpt can’t replicate the posting style of a cruiser at 2030 hrs, after the 4th sundowner using a cellphone to share their knowledge.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2024, 12:23   #14

Boat: TES 246 Versus
Send a message via Skype™ to Tedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
"Ahoy there! This is Captain Grumblebeard speaking, and let me tell ya, I've sailed through more storms than I've had hot dinners. What's that you say? Oh, it's 20:30, you say? Well, I've got a clock on board too, matey, and I know what time it is!

Now, I've had a modest number of adult beverages, just enough to make me question the wind's sobriety, but not so many that I can't find the starboard side from the port. And speaking of port, I may have visited one or two before this call, but that's neither here nor there.

You see, life on the high seas isn't all sunshine and rainbows. Sometimes, it's more like hailstorms and grumpy dolphins. And tonight, my friend, is no exception. The wind's whispering secrets, and I swear I heard it say, 'Go to bed, you old sea dog!' But I'll be damned if I let some breeze dictate my bedtime.

So, why am I on the phone at this ungodly hour? Well, because I'm a sailor, dammit! We don't adhere to your landlubber time zones. We follow the tides, the stars, and the occasional bottle of rum. And if I want to chat at 20:30, then by Neptune's trident, I'll do just that!

Now, don't go tellin' me to pipe down or sober up. I've got a boat full of memories and a head full of tales, and I'll share 'em with anyone who's willing to listen. So, what's that? You're hanging up? Fine, be that way. I'll just continue my conversation with the creaks of the boat and the clinking of me empty rum bottle. Fair winds, ya landlocked scallywag!"
Tedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2024, 04:04   #15

All gen 1 tech looks like a wonky toy. We're at the Atari pong level of this, what people should be considering is what the later versions will be like. The other thing that people in general are not understanding is how quickly those later versions will appear.
jeffandlori is offline   Reply With Quote