Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2020, 12:24   #1

fresh water pump delay

I may have posted this topic a couple years ago. But I'm still pulling my hair out. My fresh water system has issues with pausing for an eternity before the pump kicks back on. But the length of time delay isn't always consistant. Making it really difficult to pin point or to weed out things. I got tired of replacing my big accumulator tank. The metal one that looks like a small propane tank. I think it was a 4 gal. The bladders kept breaking. I thought the broken bladder might be the issue. Recently I replaced it with a Jabsco 30573 one litre accumulator tank. But still no difference. I've checked the pressure several times on the new accumulator tank. Water breaker turned off, tap open, then 17 psi pressure added to the tank. I've checked every fitting on the boat and nothing is leaking water. The pump doesn't come on randomly when I'm not using water. But when I turn the tap on usually I will get water until it runs out of what was previously in the line. Then I can wait up to 10 seconds for the pump to come on and it will flow on full pressure for about 12 seconds, then no water and I wait again for 10 seconds or so for the pump to come back on. That's on the galley sink. I just replaced the tap fixture because it would leak when I was using it and I thought maybe that might contribute to the issue. Time to replace it anyways. But that replacement didn't make any difference. My sink in the head doesn't seem to have as long as a pause period. At times I can get it to flow perfectly and constantly. The shower only has about 5-6 seconds pause without any water. That's what annoys me the most especially for those cold winter showers. The shower operates with the hot full open and the cold only slightly open. All 3 of the tap fixtures are within about 6 feet of the pump and accumulator pump.
I'm thinking maybe to try and just replace the pump. Maybe there is an electrical issue with the pressure switch on it. It is a jabsco 3.8, at least 6 plus years old. I might switch to a 4.0. I've heard I can get a pump that doesn't require an accumulator tank. I'm curioius about the pro's and con's for that pump. I think it's like a hundred bucks more.
seatotaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:33   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: fresh water pump delay

Is the cut in/ cut out pressure on that pump adjustable?

May be worth adjusting those before anything else.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:42   #3

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

I can strongly recommend the SHURFLO Aqua King II 4.0 gpm Fresh Water Pump ($167.50) here is a link (affiliate) to it on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2XMWBJZ
Works great, no accumulator tank, great pressure, no issues - excellent flow rate for 2 of us full time on a 40’ sailboat.

If you have any specific questions, just give a shout.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:43   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Is the cut in/ cut out pressure on that pump adjustable?

May be worth adjusting those before anything else.
NO, I thought about that, and even tried to pull it apart. But it doesn't even look like I can get inside the switch.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRocinante View Post
I can strongly recommend the SHURFLO Aqua King II 4.0 gpm Fresh Water Pump ($167.50) here is a link (affiliate) to it on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2XMWBJZ
Works great, no accumulator tank, great pressure, no issues - excellent flow rate for 2 of us full time on a 40’ sailboat.

If you have any specific questions, just give a shout.
So does it simply just run constantly once you open a tap and run until you close the tap?
Old 09-06-2020, 12:58   #6

If I replace my pump with the Surflo Aqua King II 4.0 and get rid of my accumulator tank. At least I'll know if it is a problem within the system if it persists.
I'm curious to know the downside of a pump operating without an accumulator tank. The only significant lenght of continuous time it would be running is when the shower is on and that only really takes about 5-8 minutes I suppose. Only once a day. So that doesn't sound like much wear and tear on the pump. The other uses would be for washing dishes, brushing teeth etc.
Old 09-06-2020, 13:12   #7

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatotaler View Post
If I replace my pump with the Surflo Aqua King II 4.0 and get rid of my accumulator tank. At least I'll know if it is a problem within the system if it persists.
I'm curious to know the downside of a pump operating without an accumulator tank. The only significant lenght of continuous time it would be running is when the shower is on and that only really takes about 5-8 minutes I suppose. Only once a day. So that doesn't sound like much wear and tear on the pump. The other uses would be for washing dishes, brushing teeth etc.
I really can’t think of any downsides; at least not in our experience.
You open the faucet the pump comes on and the water flows - it’s instantaneous.

I also installed an inline whole house style water filter (10”) under the galley sink and while it does reduce the pressure on the cold water side, it’s more than adequate.

As a point of reference we’re going on 4yrs of full time cruising and constant use - we cook 3 meals a day on board on a fairly regular basis.

There obviously might be better units out there, but this is the only one I have direct experience with and at that price point.
Old 09-06-2020, 13:16   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRocinante View Post
I really can’t think of any downsides; at least not in our experience.
You open the faucet the pump comes on and the water flows - it’s instantaneous.

I also installed an inline whole house style water filter (10”) under the galley sink and while it does reduce the pressure on the cold water side, it’s more than adequate.

As a point of reference we’re going on 4yrs of full time cruising and constant use - we cook 3 meals a day on board on a fairly regular basis.

There obviously might be better units out there, but this is the only one I have direct experience with and at that price point.

Thanks for your input and the link. I just watched a youtube video of the pump with 3 taps and a shower operating on it all at the same time and still lots of flow. I'll look into getting one.
Old 09-06-2020, 13:20   #9

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

My FW was doing the same. I removed an old accumulator tank, and replaced the rather old pump with the 5gpm version of the Aqua King II - excellent! I guess the 4gpm model would be fine too.

My understanding is that variable flow pumps like this operate better without an accumulator tank.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 13:43   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMoon View Post
My FW was doing the same. I removed an old accumulator tank, and replaced the rather old pump with the 5gpm version of the Aqua King II - excellent! I guess the 4gpm model would be fine too.

My understanding is that variable flow pumps like this operate better without an accumulator tank.
My Trojan is mid 80's vintage and still has 3/8" dia. plumbing. I'm wondering if I would notice a difference between 4 and 5 gpm ?
Old 09-06-2020, 13:55   #11

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

The installation instructions I have recommend a min of 1/2" ID pipe. Not sure how well the 4gpm would work for you. I would not try the 5gpm pump in your case (it might require heftier wiring too).

"Use a minimum of 1/2" [13mm] Inner
Diameter plumbing. Smaller ID plumbing
will cause cavitation, high back
pressure, low flow and noise."
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 13:59   #12

I just realized that the vidoe I was watching with lots of taps flowing was the "smart sensor" model. So maybe that's the one to get. I think it is available in a 4.0 and then a 5.7 I'm guessing that the difference is that if one is showering and another person turns on a tap, you would avoid that loud scream
Old 09-06-2020, 14:01   #13

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatotaler View Post
My Trojan is mid 80's vintage and still has 3/8" dia. plumbing. I'm wondering if I would notice a difference between 4 and 5 gpm ?
I think the difference will only be noticeable when you open more then 2 faucets simultaneously. I do not think that this small difference is really important. After all you have a limited water supply. Or do you have a Water Maker installed?
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 14:43   #14
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Unfortunately many pumps you can not adjust the pressure switch. These are also non continuous motors. Once the TP ( thermal protection) gets worn from constant tripping, it can trip a lot faster giving you the same symptoms you have. I'd scrap the accumulator tank and just install a nice on demand pump instead.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 15:23   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
I think the difference will only be noticeable when you open more then 2 faucets simultaneously. I do not think that this small difference is really important. After all you have a limited water supply. Or do you have a Water Maker installed?
I'm sort of inclined to agree. No I don't have a watermaker. But if the cost is similar between the two different models, then the smart sensor wouldn't hurt I suppose.

Tags
pump, water, water pump