Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2020, 18:46   #91

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)
Re: "Everyone is buying boats'"during the pandemic, and it's causing a short supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
B, I can tell you that here, small boat sales are thru' the roof. Dealers can't keep them in stock. Sailboats not so much. I put my fishing boat up for sale and it was gone 12 hours after it was listed, Got a lot more for it than what I paid for it. Crazy times. Sailboat activity, near as I can tell, is deader'n doornail.....
Well, this site is called for some reason “Cruisers Forum” - we don’t count dingies
Old 03-09-2020, 18:50   #92

Re: "Everyone is buying boats'"during the pandemic, and it's causing a short supply

Quote:
I'm not taking a stand on this 'rona thing one way or another.....I'm just you letting you know what I see and what is happening in my neck of the woods...NE Florida, USA.

I just came back from the beach....hundreds of people out watching the sunset, men, women, kids, kite surfers, people walking dogs, etc.......not one mask to be seen....driving home, passed by several area restaurants with outside seating..same thing.....all packed...no masks at tables...

Y'all are welcome to come and see for yourself. Make up your own mind, but please don't tell me or anyone else living here that we are part of the problem....

After a surge in late July and first half of August, Florida's numbers went down, but then recorded 7000 cases and 187 deaths on Sept 1. School and uni is starting up, people are gonna return from seaside vacations to their homes...

In the spring, I figured that people were going to react with shock and anger when/if the numbers started mounting up. It seems I was wrong about what people are prepared to tolerate.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 19:07   #93
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Where we are you aren’t able to enter the marina office unless you are wearing a mask and you wash your hands at the wash station. Not allowed in any stores without a mask on. And strangely enough.......99% of the people are abiding by the rules.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 19:12   #94

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
Well, this site is called for some reason “Cruisers Forum” - we don’t count dingies

Oooo Poo poo
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:54   #95
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Florida has a lot of retirement communities and nursing homes...

So yes, we get the daily Covid news..."103 yr old man in area nursing home dies from Covid".....really ???....does being 103 yrs old have anything to do with it ?
Naturally it gets countered with "first 15 year old teen dies from Covid"...off course we don't get the whole story...ie, were there any other medical complications.....

And now off course....Covid vaccines are popping up left, right and center, every drug company wants in on the action.....it's become a political hotbed with elections around the corner....there will be an all out war soon.....mandatory vaccinations vs. those " you ain't stickin' no needle in me"...not to mention....the USA/China thing...

off course, the health insurance companies are in the thick of it too....and the medical field...whispers of collusion are constantly in the news...

it's pretty insane no matter which way you look at it...the media....especially loves talking about....it sells commercials...

I could not even take a wild guess as to how this will all play out....but panic...no....more of a pissed off attitude...folk are accepting that it could happen to them......but a 95% chance they'll make it...pretty good odds.....better than beating cancer.....

our marina sells some pretty expensive power boats....all, easily in the heavy 6 figure range...2,3,4 engines....I can't explain it....but it's happening...
but since the beginning of the pandemic, the marine and marina industry has been notably exempt and devoid from mask requirements. I ask the drystack boys and their opinion is that it is all a bunch of ********...not one of them has ever worn a mask....not once.....if you tell them they are crazy, you'll get the rolled eye look....and a shake of the head...they'll think you are the crazy one.

again, don't read me the riot act....I'm just telling you what I see...
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:18   #96

Quote:
again, don't read me the riot act....I'm just telling you what I see...

Understood, and appreciated. What will be, will be. My Dr considers the risk of infection from outdoor activities to be pretty low.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:29   #97
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
I don't get the panic....in my neck of the woods....life has returned near as damnit to normal....businesses are hiring....traffic is flowing...gas prices going up again....bars and restaurants open.....all stores open....etc..etc...etc...workers returning to work....schools and universities up and running again...stock market on the rebound....air flights up....mask use is basically only in stores....and half the wearers have it around their necks...a lot of people still working from home, but will likely also change soon.

off course, you still get the person in a full body plastic suit, mask on, driving his car with the windows up....

And, where might this be?
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:34   #98

Boat: Northstar 80/20
Send a message via AIM to yesthatsue Send a message via Yahoo to yesthatsue Send a message via Skype™ to yesthatsue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Mask in car:

There are reasons for this.
6) You normally keep your current washable mask in your purse when it's not on, but you keep a couple of the disposable ones in the car for when you get to your destination and discover that it isn't there.
yesthatsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:46   #99

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Off covid and on to boat sales: when we pulled into Noank Shipyard In Mystic CT a couple of days ago a broker offered us 15% below what we paid two and a half years ago. He said he has a motivated buyer with cash who wants a wide body Hatteras and can’t find one.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:53   #100
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

And, where might this be?

read back a few posts...
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:00   #101

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Quote:
I'm not taking a stand on this 'rona thing one way or another.....I'm just you letting you know what I see and what is happening in my neck of the woods...NE Florida, USA.

I just came back from the beach....hundreds of people out watching the sunset, men, women, kids, kite surfers, people walking dogs, etc.......not one mask to be seen....driving home, passed by several area restaurants with outside seating..same thing.....all packed...no masks at tables...

Y'all are welcome to come and see for yourself. Make up your own mind, but please don't tell me or anyone else living here that we are part of the problem....
If you are in Jax I concur with what you are seeing regarding mask wearing and distancing. We were there from March to June and the casual attitude was scary: nearly as bad as the Carolinas. That’s why we are staying in New England as long as we can, everyone is masked and keeping their distance, we even get our temperature checked before being seated on the patio at restaurants.

We will be back in Jax in November to sell some boat stuff (anyone need a Rocna or a SS Delta?) and there is no way we will be dining out there, take-out and delivery, yes, but not at the restaurant. At least the folks at Publix in the early morning are following the guidelines, so we can restock our supplies for another two months.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:04   #102

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
If you are in Jax I concur with what you are seeing regarding mask wearing and distancing. We were there from March to June and the casual attitude was scary: nearly as bad as the Carolinas. That’s why we are staying in New England as long as we can, everyone is masked and keeping their distance, we even get our temperature checked before being seated on the patio at restaurants.

We will be back in Jax in November to sell some boat stuff (anyone need a Rocna or a SS Delta?) and there is no way we will be dining out there, take-out and delivery, yes, but not at the restaurant. At least the folks at Publix in the early morning are following the guidelines, so we can restock our supplies for another two months.

I dropped my two youngest kids in Tampa and Orlando in their universities last week and what struck me was how relax the rules were compared to Miami. I concur that many people I saw were not wearing masks and restaurants had indoor dining. I did see lots of closed businesses in Orlando at International Drive which usually is teeming with tourists
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:15   #103

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post

Based on the feeble ability of Floridians as a whole to fight the spread, when we return in a few weeks, we will be bringing our provisions with us from the northeast. We saw how badly they handled it in March when we left. Looking back you can see I predicted it as a hotspot in March based on what I saw.

Yes, we have almost no Covid here in the northeast and we also have complete mask compliance, proper distancing and people genera put in an effort to keep it that way.

So out provisions are coming down with us. I hope they last until about thanksgiving and hope Florida is settled down by then.

Note: when I say Floridans I’m also referring to the piles of snowbirds. All did a lousy job of it.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:18   #104

No one can do anything with all these stupid lockdowns And everyone is tired of staying home, it’s summer time and a lot of people have some extra money so there going for the boat, RV, cottage etc. and spending family time together do what ever it is they want. As for income inequality, it’s been everywhere in the world for ever. There are those that work hard and save, some borrow on time and yes there are the rich who take chances and run businesses to employ people who aren’t as smart or lucky. And there are and ever will be those that are lazy, don’t want to work hard or at all and want things handed over to them. I worked hard, retired, have a boat and love day sailing and over nighters. I enjoy being on the water even if it’s at the dock or moored somewhere.

I’m for getting the economy back on track and getting unemployment back to 3.5%. Most were happy at this point . I am not for higher taxes (the 1% Of the US population pays 40% of the taxes collected by the government) or redistribution of wealth.

Bring back all the jobs from China and anyone that wants to work will have a job.

Now let’s get back to cruising.
GL-WindPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:20   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
DeValency, glad to see the addition of the all important emoji, so as to not fall foul of Poe's Law and result in some people reading your intent and nature of comment incorrectly.

Most every cruiser has a dinghy, else they either walk on water or are good swimmers, or call for the boat taxi at the mooring field, or frequent marinas, instead of lying on a hook.

All the best.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying