Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2020, 08:27   #106

Boat: Hunter 41 DS
Re: "Everyone is buying boats'"during the pandemic, and it's causing a short supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrakes View Post
Which means in a couple of years there will be plenty of deferred maintenance boats on the market which will drive prices down.
That's exactly what my broker said to me.

Great buying opportunities in a year or two.
Poldhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:28   #107

Re: "Everyone is buying boats'"during the pandemic, and it's causing a short supply

Stay safe, stay healthy, so that you can be around to buy a boat, or enjoy the one you already own.

As Dr. Anthony Fauci reiterated yet again yesterday:
"You don't want to be someone who's propagating the outbreak. You want to be a part of the solution, not part of the problem."

He warned that carelessness about the coronavirus could trigger a surge, similar to what happened after the Memorial Day holiday and the Fourth of July. That means staying away from crowded picnics, backyards and beaches. The fear is that Americans are tired of COVID-19 precautions and may risk an end-of-summer blowout.

Fauci also joined a call to governors with Vice President Mike Pence this week to urge all Americans to wear face masks in public and follow social distancing guidelines.

“If we’re careless about it, then we could wind up with a surge following Labor Day,” Fauci warned. “It really depends on how we behave as a country.”

Sobering reality: The U.S. has recorded more than 6 million confirmed cases of COVID-19 and nearly 187,000 deaths.

Bonne santé.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:32   #108

Boat: Leopard 40 Sailing Catamaran

Outside the social/political commentary (of which I agree with most, but don't mix w/ boating), I'm just glad we bought our sailboat LAST year!
Old 04-09-2020, 08:46   #109

Boat: been sitting it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Yes. In a big country like US where you are free to go places despite Covid pandemics, boats may sell.

In Europe where states are small and independent, the market is dead. The market is flush with old no longer wanted boats.

b.
Hey Barn,

it is bad enough that the EU will be deprived of English humour...

seems that we in Europe have another problem when it comes to boat buying: Dec 31 of this year is the deadline for lots of things, especially things Brexit.

from what i've gathered, this means that if i buy a boat in the UK in 2021 and sail it across the channel, then i'll have to pay the boat's VAT again. and visa versa.

this could also mean that boats in the UK are more likely to sit longer.

have you seen this?

wolfie
Old 04-09-2020, 08:54   #110

Boat: been sitting it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
All very true, Wolfie -

I wrote something more focused on the economics of the market, somewhere probably tens of responses earlier. Lyn Alden is brilliant!

But also added the same comment on the emotional decision in having a sailboat, maintaining and sailing - actively sailing! It has a close to zero impact on the “boats market” as some people got so excited with jet skies and fishing dinghies numbers.

But for those of us; the real sailors - it is the best investment in maintaining a sanity and happiness (not only in those two famous days per boat 😎 )

yes Lyn Alden has a way of seeing a lot of moving parts from the outside.

her macro approach makes sense.

but she is still on the inside, in Game A. there are others who go out farther into the land of Game B that are interesting as well.

for instance, i find daniel schmachtenberger interesting

perfect podcast for fixing something on the boat

wolfie
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:12   #111

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
DeValency, glad to see the addition of the all important emoji, so as to not fall foul of Poe's Law and result in some people reading your intent and nature of comment incorrectly.

Most every cruiser has a dinghy, else they either walk on water or are good swimmers, or call for the boat taxi at the mooring field, or frequent marinas, instead of lying on a hook.

All the best.
Absolutely! I have two dinghys - that alone increased my boats purchasing rate by 200% just last year and maybe my broker used the figures too in order to inflate the sales growth with more hot air.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:20   #112

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poldhu View Post
That's exactly what my broker said to me.

Great buying opportunities in a year or two.
Finally! at least one honest broker out there (actually I know many great brokers with the highest integrity levels), not telling stories of boat's flying out the yard (even at our modest - so far hurricane season).

Regardless, anyone reviewing the cruisers listings now vs. the last two years, can already see a major drop in the asking prices.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:46   #113
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I know of no-one and nobody that knows anybody that has had to deal with Covid or a family member that had to deal with it......not saying it isn't here, but I live in a beach community......a lot of outdoor activity here, thousands of young people, on bikes, on the beach, area beach hotels are full, many tourists, area beach condo's full, area beach restaurant and bars are full, gyms are back open..... etc, hot and humid to boot...might be different upstate...but around here, there is nothing to indicate that there is a blooming Covid problem...there is certainly not even the slightest shred of panic...

Again, just telling it like it is....that doesn't make people around here stupid, foolish, arrogant, ignorant...etc......some people chose to wear a mask....but the majority don't, besides going into a store, it is not required here.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:48   #114

Unless those buyers are independently wealthy and can afford to hire a standby crew to maintain their newly purchased sailboat, I find it beyond naive for them to think that they can replace their former travel experiences (ocean liner cruises and commercial airline trips) with their own sailboats. That is just nuts!
Giro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:53   #115
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

it is striking to me, that I see few, if any, sailboats traversing the ICW, usually see quite a few, but not this year...
The B'mas are back open to sailors as are the Keys....

I'm sailboat shopping myself....I see many listings with "price reduced" statements....it's a good time to be a buyer....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:26   #116

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Seem obvious to me, with some of the comments here, that a vaccine will be the only way this pandemic will disappear. Hopefully things will get back to “normal”.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:26   #117

Boat: a sailing boat

Mind boggling. US and EU are so similar in so many things, but seem to have quite different market sentiment (consumer spending habits, you name it).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:30   #118

Boat: a sailing boat

And if there is such a 'huge shortage' why they do not import some from Canada, Caribbean or Europe?

???

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:46   #119

Boat: Gemini 105mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
it is striking to me, that I see few, if any, sailboats traversing the ICW, usually see quite a few, but not this year...
The B'mas are back open to sailors as are the Keys....

I'm sailboat shopping myself....I see many listings with "price reduced" statements....it's a good time to be a buyer....
That’s because no Canadians can cross the US to get there and not everyone travelling the ICW is comfortable going the outside route. I have heard of at least one convoy from New Brunswick.
qwerme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:46   #120

I live in the Vancouver/Fraser Valley area and spend summers cruising in the Desolation Sound and adjoining areas. I thought things should be quite quiet and anchorages less congested since US boaters were restricted due to the Border closures. BOY, was I wrong. Everywhere in the Gulf Islands and Desolation was booming. Never seen so many Canadian boats and I have been going up every year now for 9 or more years.
As for the market, I have been very tempted to list my vessel, and have the blessing of being able include moorage with live aboard status, thereby making the listing extremely desirable. But then I would have to find other living accommodation and that would be more than 4 times what I pay now. Some things are just better left alone
nervuswrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying