Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2020, 09:59   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27
How well does a Catalina 30 Sail?

I am looking at purchasing a Catalina 30 1984 standard mast.

I have read a few reviews but they do not say much about how well she sails.

Some questions
1. How well does she point into the wind?
2. How well does she go down wind?
3. How easy is it to balance the sails?
4. Once balanced will she self steer?
5. Basically will she track well without a auto pilot?
6. How well does she sail in 20-25 knot winds?

Thanks in advance?
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 10:18   #2

Re: How well does a Catalina 30 Sail?

Well, it's all pretty relative really but I have sailed a few I managed in a charter fleet.
I'm not sure the tacking angle, but seems to do well if you have the right sail combo. Definitely better than your average long keel cruiser. Not racing boat good though. Maybe due to having decent beam and accommodation.

Downwind speed mostly a function of waterline and roll characteristics. These don't roll downwind like some narrower or IOR boats.

4. Once balanced will she self steer? 5. Basically will she track well without a auto pilot?
Not really, most fin keel spade rudder boats will not. Get an autopilot.

With a good reef not bad, but can wallow a bit in short seas. Pounding into waves they seems to be a bit flexy, but likely not more than most production boats

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 10:27   #3
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Well, it's all pretty relative really but I have sailed a few I managed in a charter fleet.
I'm not sure the tacking angle, but seems to do well if you have the right sail combo. Definitely better than your average long keel cruiser. Not racing boat good though. Maybe due to having decent beam and accommodation.

Downwind speed mostly a function of waterline and roll characteristics. These don't roll downwind like some narrower or IOR boats.

4. Once balanced will she self steer? 5. Basically will she track well without a auto pilot?
Not really, most fin keel spade rudder boats will not. Get an autopilot.

With a good reef not bad, but can wallow a bit in short seas. Pounding into waves they seems to be a bit flexy, but likely not more than most production boats
Thank you for your answer.
I am looking to use it for 2 hour sunset cruises but I also want to use it for 2-5 day vacations on Lake Erie.
Old 15-10-2020, 10:36   #4

I think it would be fine for that. They are popular and resellable too.
Have it well inspected and google "catalina smile"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 10:42   #5

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Graham View Post
How well does a Catalina 30 Sail?
I think the correct answer is as well as the captain can sail her.........

Sorry, couldn't help myself..........
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 11:05   #6

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
I think the correct answer is as well as the captain can sail her.........

Sorry, couldn't help myself..........
I congratulated a friend when he'd won a trophy for "First Catalina 30 to Finish" the "round Catalina Island" race. He replied "Catalina supplies the trophy every year, I was the ONLY C30 to finish, the other guy DNF'ed halfway out."
He still did pretty good overall after handicapping.In the 2009 Newport to Ensenada race, Sojourn, a Catalina 30 in PHRF K won Best Corrected Time despite finishing 10 hours behind record-breaker Magnitude 80 and 12 hours behind Best Elapsed Time winner Loe Real. It was a real light wind race that year if I recall right.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 11:26   #7

There are a number of, unfortunately, different Catalina 30 websites, including www.catallina30.com (as opposed to the usual .org Catalina one-design Association websites), as well as a relatively new C30 Google group. You will find a lot more specific info there than here, although it's a good question.

https://groups.io/g/Catalina30
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 06:25   #8

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

They sail pretty well, not the fastest, not the slowest. Self steering once balanced is not what we have been able to achieve on my friends boat, but the wheel pilot did not have any problems ever.

We have had her out in 25 gusting to 32 or so, in 8-12' waves, and she did quite well, with no issues, even after we about buried the bow in a few breaking waves on Lake Michigan. We did have a deep reef in and the genny furled in a bit(90 or so), and she was fine. They are good boats.

A general comment on Catalina 30's: the tall rig is much more sought after, with a higher demand as well, just a better rig imho. Standard rigs much less so. There are always a few of them for sale in the great lakes. A quick search shows a number of them for sale currently.
Old 16-10-2020, 07:09   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
They sail pretty well, not the fastest, not the slowest. Self steering once balanced is not what we have been able to achieve on my friends boat, but the wheel pilot did not have any problems ever.

We have had her out in 25 gusting to 32 or so, in 8-12' waves, and she did quite well, with no issues, even after we about buried the bow in a few breaking waves on Lake Michigan. We did have a deep reef in and the genny furled in a bit(90 or so), and she was fine. They are good boats.

A general comment on Catalina 30's: the tall rig is much more sought after, with a higher demand as well, just a better rig imho. Standard rigs much less so. There are always a few of them for sale in the great lakes. A quick search shows a number of them for sale currently.
Thank you for your post.
Old 16-10-2020, 07:49   #10

I have a 79' standard rig, wing keel, Catalina 30 with the atomic 4. Love this boat. Perfect for what you're looking to do. We cruise for a few weeks at a time on her.

Upwind the fin keel points way better than the wing. Downwind she performs beautifully.

Upwind with a balanced sail plan I don't need to even lock the wheel.

We reef early and she handles weather great. Been out in 30+ knots on a few occasions and she can hang.
LeCrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 08:06   #11

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

The fin keel points much better than the wing keel, 5+ degrees better. Neither points as well as most Sabres, Beneteaus, etc.

OK with a 150% genoa, better with a spin. In following seas they can wallow, too much for the ST4000 to keep up.

That said, I was in 10' short period (lake) waves with a full 150% doing 8+ knots and as the wind and wave picked up the boat wanted to broach...I busted me knee getting the main down. Reef early.

Frankly, downwind with any following sea sucks, even with a 150 poled out. You'll want a spin, and retrofitting the C30 for a spin takes a lot of new holes in the deck and more crap to stub your toe on.

Easy if you know what you're doing. We were out a few days ago winds 16 gusting over 30. Double reefed main, boat handled easily; balanced so well no need to touch the wheel.

The Tall Rig in particular easily overpowers the boat, so have a furler and double reef points.

Worse comes to worse, go without sails. I once did 4.5 knots under bare poles, and was able to steer the boat downwind.

IIRC the 1984 has the nice looking arc traveler. This sucks to adjust under load, replace it with a straight Garhauer.

4. Once balanced will she self steer?

Yes. But it takes practice and work to balance.

5. Basically will she track well without a auto pilot?

See above. Not in following seas of any size.

Around 15 knots is best; with a 150 a wing keel C30TR will smoke many race boats up to about 20 degrees off wind. For higher winds, see above. In fact, the old C30 has far lower hull windage than many of the newer designs which are so tall as to be rediculous. So they sail at anchor less, and are easier to dock.

They are great in light air, particularly the TR with a 150.

They do crash a lot in large waves, and the guppy shaped hull means the boat damned near comes to a stop; this can be very frustrating.

There are insufficient handholds below decks for heavy weather sailing, I added a bunch so I can move from companionway to V berth always holding a handle.

Very easy to single hand, though reaching the traveller requires leaving the wheel.

Had mine for 26 years and have beat the snot out of it. She's held up remarkably well, far better than some "better" boats. Like all boats, ports, hatches and fittings will leak eventually so I've kept up on that and have zero leaks, zero interior damage.

Due to the slowing and smashing while beating into large waves, I have turned back a couple times to wait out a window. She's been a solid boat, but I know that absolutely hammering her for 12+ hours should be refrained from.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 08:42   #12

Boat: 82' Catalina 30 Mark 1

Ive had my 1982 30' mk l, #2601 for 11 years. Great sailing boat and comfortable inside. Fitted with North Cruizing Sails, 130 ginny. A 150 would be better in the Puget Sound's light air, but lm never in a hurry.

Main thing with Catalina 30's is keeping attention to rigging and anchor points on both sides. I have added larger washers to all bolting and inspect/tighten all fittings once per year.

I use an auto pilot whenever the wind is steady and the seas light.

This is a great boat...my opinion.
DarrelClick image for larger version

Name:	20200811_184718.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	225291Click image for larger version

Name:	20200811_164527.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	225292
darrelweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 09:13   #13

Good solid boat. I spent many wonderful days cruising and racing on a friend's 30. Won the N2E race with her... and once got caught out in 55 knots (not recommend) in freak storm... green water up to our knees in the cockpit... nothing broke (except our stomachs), all home safe. Good boat.
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 10:27   #14

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

I love the Catalina 30. Great boat. Check keel bolts, rigging, chainplates and roller furling. opt for diesel over gas with wheeled steering and autopilot. Make sure there are no soft spots on deck.

The great part of Catalina 30' is the owners support and the available parts. You can actually order your new rigging, sails, etc. from the company and have it in a week.

When you purchase a Catalina, you become part of the family.
Sold my Catalina many years ago and miss sailing that boat since.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 10:44   #15

Check for blisters on the bottom.
malcolmwmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, catalina 30, sail