Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2021, 11:12   #1

Digital Log Books

I never have been able to be consistent with a paper logbook. Going through the App store, there are lots of digital apps available. Any suggestions? Some start once you are on the water. I use the Navionics app and would be nice to tie it into that.
Andy Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 11:45   #2

Boat: Hanse 445 44’
Re: Digital Log Books

What are you trying to log? I have found that most apps are either way to specific or way to broad and inclusive that they become overbearing to do simple data entry.

I settled on Boating Suite for iOS for my powerboat.

There is core boat data, trip logs, engine hours, fuel tracking, a to do list, maintenance log and expense tracking. There are also some reports. So for example you can see total cost of ownership (assuming you have all the data entered).

A drawback is it is phone only. I can’t add or review entries through a web interface for example.

One feature I wish it had was the ability to share the logbook with more than one user. I have a captain that maintains the boat and charters it out. . So it would be nice if I could put a repair issue in the log and then he could see it, and when fixed I see it was done. Or he could record trips and I can see the utilization.
stulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 11:56   #3

Perhaps just make your own from Excel or Google Sheets. Very easy to customise to your needs and do auto calculations.

I find typing into a phone cumbersome but Bluetooth key boards are available or do the data entry on a tablet/laptop. Most program can share across different formats and devices.
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 12:04   #4

I do all the costs with excel including maintenance and fuel. Yes to share would be important as my brother and I are partners. I am doing my ICC course for bareboat charter and one of the pre-requisites is logging in 200kts. This is not much, however, got me thinking about logging my trips. To incorporate everything would be nice.
Old 10-02-2021, 13:26   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

I've tried a few, but always came back to paper. It's just easier.
Old 10-02-2021, 13:36   #6

I do use an app (ShipShape) for maintenance logging, but for navigation log I much prefer paper.

One of the reasons for keeping a formal navigation log in these days of electronic everything is to have a record of a the most recent fix and course in the event of a lightning strike or other general electrical failure. Hard to figure out how to get home if you have no idea where you are! If you suffer a direct hit by lightning, the odds are very high that nothing other than your paper and pencil will be working.

But then I still plot my position every 6 hours on a paper chart, so a lot of you will consider me just an old relic.

There is also the significant emotional satisfaction of flipping back through a bound record of past voyages where sometimes even the briefest note can pull delighful memories to the forefront.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:48   #7

Boat: Nauticat 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneDiving View Post
Perhaps just make your own from Excel or Google Sheets. Very easy to customise to your needs and do auto calculations.

I find typing into a phone cumbersome but Bluetooth key boards are available or do the data entry on a tablet/laptop. Most program can share across different formats and devices.
I'm a google sheets user for the logbook. I've tried all the apps but not found one that's stuck and does everything I want it to.

My partner and I are actually coding a logbook app in our spare time atm.
Would be great to get some feedback if anyone's interested...
Old 21-02-2021, 05:34   #8

Did you end up finding a good solution? I'm at this same point now for my new boat being delivered soon...
Thanks
spadgettcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 05:55   #9

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
I do use an app (ShipShape) for maintenance logging, but for navigation log I much prefer paper.

One of the reasons for keeping a formal navigation log in these days of electronic everything is to have a record of a the most recent fix and course in the event of a lightning strike or other general electrical failure. Hard to figure out how to get home if you have no idea where you are! If you suffer a direct hit by lightning, the odds are very high that nothing other than your paper and pencil will be working.

But then I still plot my position every 6 hours on a paper chart, so a lot of you will consider me just an old relic.

There is also the significant emotional satisfaction of flipping back through a bound record of past voyages where sometimes even the briefest note can pull delighful memories to the forefront.
Exactly
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 08:16   #10

No I have not. I did load a few onto the iPad and will see which one I like

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadgettcruiser View Post
Did you end up finding a good solution? I'm at this same point now for my new boat being delivered soon...
Thanks
Old 08-03-2021, 11:03   #11

Boat: Contrast 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_m View Post
My partner and I are actually coding a logbook app in our spare time atm.
Would be great to get some feedback if anyone's interested...
Duncan, I was working on a similar plan, but simply don't have the time to put into it that such a project deserves/requires. I would be happy to test and give feedback to your project though.
Peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 13:42   #12

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sailor View Post
I am doing my ICC course for bareboat charter and one of the pre-requisites is logging in 200kts. This is not much...
Yikes! I thought doing 15 knots surfing in a gale was scary!

[Yes, I know you meant 200 nm ]
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 04:54   #13

Boat: Nauticat 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peel View Post
Duncan, I was working on a similar plan, but simply don't have the time to put into it that such a project deserves/requires. I would be happy to test and give feedback to your project though.

Thanks, Peel appreciate it, we're just about ready to ship out the first version. I'll DM you...
Old 11-03-2021, 05:32   #14

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I use this one:

https://apps.apple.com/vg/app/ships-...ns/id533244045

It is great! Keeps all the information automatically plus barometric pressure. You can also take photos within the app, and export the whole thing as a pdf. Great stats, and summaries. The exported log book makes for great trip memories. And.. the author is very accessible.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:03   #15

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sailor View Post
I never have been able to be consistent with a paper logbook. Going through the App store, there are lots of digital apps available. Any suggestions? Some start once you are on the water. I use the Navionics app and would be nice to tie it into that.
I doubt that going digital will help with consistency. I find it helps to share the duties such that the person coming off watch is responsible for a log entry. The person coming on watch can then remind them/ask them of it, and it is part of the changing of the watch communication. It keeps you accountable.

Tags
books