Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2015, 11:28   #76

Re: Define "Cruiser"

Should not be talking about this as we need those folks to be working their butts off and paying taxes so that we have all the cool infrastructure in place when we need it.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:42   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

thomm225

I'm not saying all these guys are folks that should be admired.

Sure appears that you are. Why else bring up Into the Wild multiple times in the thread?

I do get a kick outta the Mayor though. He was super intelligent and did what he did.

Ted Kaczynski was also super intelligent, also moved away from the city to live a primitive lifestyle. Being smart doesn't mean you're sane or in any way admirable.

Krakauer's view of McCandless is basically that he was young and did a few stupid things. He almost made it out btw if it hadn't been for the river and his ill health.

Krakauer did something very similar and barely escaped with is life.

Could be you have forgotten some of the dumb things you did as a young man. (or some of the things you thought you could live through but shutter to think of those things now) I did plenty many having to do with boats and others with guns while hunting

Not at all. I would bet that 99.9% of the adult males on the planet did some dumb things in their youth. I have done things that with a little bad luck I might have died but I don't want people to think any of it was cool or to make a pilgrimage to the site of my stupidity.

It's why we have young men in our armed forces especially the Seals, Army Rangers, Marines etc.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:47   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Should not be talking about this as we need those folks to be working their butts off and paying taxes so that we have all the cool infrastructure in place when we need it.
I'm not too worried about that. Most of my family think I'm crazy to live on a boat and sail around in the Devil's triangle (well that's not the only reason they think I'm crazy but one of them).

They're all pretty content to stay home and keep civilization as we know it operating.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:56   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
A cruiser is some one who likes long boat trips and has the patience to not start the engine just cause things slow down. A cruiser likes the process as much as the end result. A cruiser is some one who could take a vow of poverty but is not necessarily broke.... At least till they have to go up in the yard.
All those guys on trawlers just doing it wrong apparently.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 13:08   #80
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I would bet that 99.9% of the adult males on the planet did some dumb things in their youth. .
Great.....now we have to define both Cruiser AND Youth......

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
A cruiser is some one who likes long boat trips and has the patience to not start the engine just cause things slow down. A cruiser likes the process as much as the end result. A cruiser is some one who could take a vow of poverty but is not necessarily broke.... At least till they have to go up in the yard.
Yikes....well this would not just eliminate trawlers but 90% of Cruisers I know with the 4Kt Rule. I'm also not sure where having money and liking it, would make you not a "real cruiser"....strange. So lets go back to what a smart man said a few pages back (smart man or smart ass):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Guy or Smart Ass View Post
"If you care about the Definition of a Cruiser...then you ain't one."
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 13:16   #81

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

"now we have to define both Cruiser AND Youth......"

Nah, don't take it so seriously, you can't always be young, but one can always be immature!
Old 02-01-2015, 13:44   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I remember when I was young and in manure. .... ah, to be carefree once again!
Old 02-01-2015, 13:46   #83

Boat: Rinker 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Great.....now we have to define both Cruiser AND Youth......

Yikes....well this would not just eliminate trawlers but 90% of Cruisers I know with the 4Kt Rule. I'm also not sure where having money and liking it, would make you not a "real cruiser"....strange. So lets go back to what a smart man said a few pages back (smart man or smart ass):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Guy or Smart Ass
"If you care about the Definition of a Cruiser...then you ain't one."

Once I learned to follow my heart and conscience for personal growth and satisfaction I became a happier person. Trying to satisfy someone else's labels never seems to do that, so do what you want and help out your fellow man when possible and if someone is not happy with that, that's their hang up not yours and no need to make it yours either.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 14:33   #84

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
thomm225

I'm not saying all these guys are folks that should be admired.

Sure appears that you are. Why else bring up Into the Wild multiple times in the thread?

I do get a kick outta the Mayor though. He was super intelligent and did what he did.

Ted Kaczynski was also super intelligent, also moved away from the city to live a primitive lifestyle. Being smart doesn't mean you're sane or in any way admirable.

Krakauer's view of McCandless is basically that he was young and did a few stupid things. He almost made it out btw if it hadn't been for the river and his ill health.

Krakauer did something very similar and barely escaped with is life.

Could be you have forgotten some of the dumb things you did as a young man. (or some of the things you thought you could live through but shutter to think of those things now) I did plenty many having to do with boats and others with guns while hunting

Not at all. I would bet that 99.9% of the adult males on the planet did some dumb things in their youth. I have done things that with a little bad luck I might have died but I don't want people to think any of it was cool or to make a pilgrimage to the site of my stupidity.

It's why we have young men in our armed forces especially the Seals, Army Rangers, Marines etc.
I was trying to explain something to old Jimbo. He thought I was jibing (sic) him about the bus or is that gybe(ing)?

Skip do you realize that people are different? I didn't know how different they could be until I had a son that was an artist. (I'm a total tech guy)
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 18:29   #85
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Skip do you realize that people are different? I didn't know how different they could be until I had a son that was an artist. (I'm a total tech guy)
Guess you aren't really reading my posts very closely if you ask that question. I'll make one last try and then I give up.

The question itself is almost absurd and I don't think even warrants an answer. I see nothing wrong with different, I honor and applaud different. Differences makes the world an interesting place. If you knew me you would find that I don't fit in any standard pigeonhole myself.

However I don't see much to appreciate when different is just self destructive or harmful to others.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:40   #86

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Guess you aren't really reading my posts very closely if you ask that question. I'll make one last try and then I give up.

The question itself is almost absurd and I don't think even warrants an answer. I see nothing wrong with different, I honor and applaud different. Differences makes the world an interesting place. If you knew me you would find that I don't fit in any standard pigeonhole myself.

However I don't see much to appreciate when different is just self destructive or harmful to others.
I guess you didn't read my earlier posts either. It started with the part time cruiser thing which I agreed with by saying that is where I will probably fit in one day because I might want to do something else like hike the desert possibly near Lake Mead.

Then I mentioned the book Into The Wild. That was it!

Then I went on to highlight some of the characters from the book where Krakauer was simply trying to show the draw Alaska has on certain types of people.

Btw, the kid from Into the Wild had some problems with some of the adult things his parents did because he was young and very idealistic. He needed time to sort them out, and he was just about there when tragedy stuck.

As I said before, the author Jon Krakauer himself did something very similar when he quit his job to go off and climb this mountain in Alaska solo. He thought it would totally change his life. Near the top, he almost met with disaster.

And speaking of characters from the book, there was John Waterman, Mountain Climber extrordinaire! Yep, he was in the book too and maybe the best of all the characters!

http://sites.lafayette.edu/raicha/fi...8/Waterman.pdf
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser