Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 05:41   #16

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Current Location Map For Your Website/Blog

Kudos...this is quite useful.

I will register more fully when I relaunch in the spring.

How easy is it to turn off? I can see certain situations when I would not wish to update my current location for reasons of security or privacy.

Would it perhaps be possible to select a time/date delay (Our boat was here three weeks ago). All the functionality without (necessarily) the real-time aspect.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:26   #17

alchemy -

So there are three things I put together:

- Observations, which are annotations you make to passages and position reports you send in. Iframed, that's what's sitting on the bottom-center of my website: Rebel Heart - The Saga of the Rebel Heart

- Passages, which are after-the-fact GPX files you upload or (soon) vessel reports you curate into where you went. Again, you can put observations on those to annotate your passage. So here's an example of when we went from Puerto Escondido to La Paz a couple of weeks ago: The Keel

- Places, which is just any spot on land that has something useful (laundry, ATM, chandlery, etc).

So I think you're asking about hiding your last observation since that's the only thing that's really "real time", or close enough that it could be a security/privacy thing.

It wouldn't be too hard to put in a "delay my current position by x days" option so any display will show where you were as of a few days/weeks ago.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 14:58   #18

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
alchemy -

So there are three things I put together:

- Observations, which are annotations you make to passages and position reports you send in. Iframed, that's what's sitting on the bottom-center of my website: Rebel Heart - The Saga of the Rebel Heart

- Passages, which are after-the-fact GPX files you upload or (soon) vessel reports you curate into where you went. Again, you can put observations on those to annotate your passage. So here's an example of when we went from Puerto Escondido to La Paz a couple of weeks ago: The Keel

- Places, which is just any spot on land that has something useful (laundry, ATM, chandlery, etc).

So I think you're asking about hiding your last observation since that's the only thing that's really "real time", or close enough that it could be a security/privacy thing.

It wouldn't be too hard to put in a "delay my current position by x days" option so any display will show where you were as of a few days/weeks ago.
Yes, that would work. As a for-instance, if I were in Oman, I wouldn't want to mention that until I was through the Red Sea, up the Suez and probably halfway to Turkey.

That said, updating your route is fun for friends and family, and tips on local services, attractions or conditions is like "cruisers' Twitter"...only with nice charts.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 15:28   #19

Speaking of Twitter, I was thinking of integrating with that as well. So that if you record a new passage or check-in somewhere, people can know about it.

I don't know if Google Plus is all that popular yet (I love it), but with that you could define a circle (just friends, families) and the updates could go there. That way they could know where you are real time but not the general public. Just an idea.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:14   #20

Boat: Van der Stadt Samoa 48
It is a very Nice tool you have developed. I would like to se i as a plugin to OPenCPN where it could most of the data as NMEA stream.

Lars
Taarnskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:32   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taarnskov View Post
It is a very Nice tool you have developed. I would like to se i as a plugin to OPenCPN where it could most of the data as NMEA stream.

Lars
Lars;

Right now it can handle GPX uploads as tracks or routes, so it's not a direct plugin but hopefully that's not too much of a leap for people and it handles a variety of systems. Personally I use OpenCPN for route planning but my actual tracks are from my little Garmin handheld unit (running on 12v).

I'd definitely like to do a more sophisticated OpenCPN plugin in the future though, I'm still working out bugs with general functionality at the moment. Thanks for the kind words as well.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:35   #22

And for another update, I'm almost done with a general iframe-able view that shows all of your passages and underway checkins. You can pick whether you want the checkins to show up or just the routes, and you can tweak the line thickness.

So this is Rebel Heart for the last year:

Old 01-12-2013, 10:14   #23

Boat: Dolphin 460

Nice combined features! I like the ability to see an overview.

This is working well for our passages ~ still uploading them all.

Thanks for sharing the application!!

Tags
current