Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2020, 14:41   #1

Boat: Bavara 37/Soling 27
"Curious about circumnavigating/no experience"

I've seen some variation of that line a lot of times here.

How many people who start with the dream of circumnavigating though they have no experience actually do it?

I assume there are some here? I'd love to hear from you.

This is a different question from 'how many people who dream of leaving it all behind and living on a boat cruising the tropics actually do it.'

I'm talking about people who shoot for the big enchilada from jump street, drop everything and go out and grab it.

[About me: I've sailed for 52 years, and the longer I go and the further I stray from home, the more I realize that the only thing I don't want to do on a sailboat is cross an ocean]
Old 20-12-2020, 14:59   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: "Curious about circumnavigating/no experience"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedX View Post
I've seen some variation of that line a lot of times here.

How many people who start with the dream of circumnavigating though they have no experience actually do it?

]
I bet it is less than 1% as I bet at most only 10% of cruiser wannabes even make it to that stage. I am close to 95% positive I will NOT make it from cruiser to circumnavigation.
Old 20-12-2020, 15:08   #3

Boat: Freedom 38

I crossed half an ocean once and then returned. "It's an easy milk run," people said. I can tell you it's not so easy, but it's also not that complicated if one has even basic skills. That said, few people really want to cross an ocean; even fewer have plans for circumnavigating. I'd guess about 5% for the former and less than 0.1% for the latter.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 15:25   #4

Boat: Catalina 470

I started knowing nothing about boats 14 years ago, I didnt set off to circumnavigate, it just happened. It's not that hard (mostly).

Most out there aren't salty sea dogs but I would say many have a specific personality type eg many I know have come from having their own businesses, not all of course but many, they aren't scared of having a go.

Some very much are sailors, the Cates and Fred for eg , many aren't, and I count me in the latter group. I like boats, I like meeting people and I like going places, the white flappy things just happen to be the way I got there.

Theres some truth in "a whole lot of boredom punctuated by terror"

Would I do it again ? Probably not!, is it one of the greatest things I've ever done in my life? Absolutely!!!

Some just aren't designed to mow lawns and wash cars in their spare time, I can say the freedom I've tasted has made me completely unemployable, sailing around the world screws up your reference point.......maybe I will go again in the future [emoji1787]
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 15:27   #5

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I crossed half an ocean once and then returned. "It's an easy milk run," people said. I can tell you it's not so easy, but it's also not that complicated if one has even basic skills. That said, few people really want to cross an ocean; even fewer have plans for circumnavigating. I'd guess about 5% for the former and less than 0.1% for the latter.
I heard "the Pacific, just set and forget, huge periods ,like sailing in a lake".....hmmm, I was obviously in a different Pacific.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 15:28   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Yes, gamayun,

You probably represent .001% of female sailors. People like Jeanne Socrates and Suzanne Cuber-Hurphy, probably .0001%.

The trip back from HI is harder than the trip to there, and none of it is "easy" singlehanding, imho.

And to answer NedX, well, Jim and I thought we might circumnavigate, you get far enough and it's shorter than retracing your steps upwind.... But what happened was that we liked visiting the Pacific Islands; and we liked going back to some of them, and visiting the friends we had made there. So we kept spending time where we were happy and enjoying life, for a long time, and time caught up to us, medical events for me; and we eventually realized I am no longer good crew. Dang! As the cliche' is, old age ain't for sissies.

Ann
Old 20-12-2020, 16:52   #7

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I heard "the Pacific, just set and forget, huge periods ,like sailing in a lake".....hmmm, I was obviously in a different Pacific.
Ha, yes. You and me both! Hope you're well, Dale!

Ann, it's sad to hear that age and health have slowed you down such that you can no longer sail. Perversely, that means we can enjoy your wisdom and experience all the more here on CF. Happy holidays to you and Jim
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 19:09   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

I hesitate to even offer a comment here. I'm no where near a circumnavigator. I've gone a little way, and have cruised, and do cruise in some interesting areas, but I don't hold a candle people like Dale or the Cates. Still, I am curious about the question.

I really don't put much stock into anyone who comes on here and says, "I've never sailed before but now plan to sail around the world." I don't know what the number is, but I expect the number of these folks that go on to accomplish this deed are vanishingly small.

But it is a question I've been asked, mostly by landlubbers, ever since choosing a cruising lifestyle: "Are you going to sail around the world?" they ask. My answer has been, and remains, "I dunno." It's never been my intention to do so, and I certainly no plans to do it. But I can also see how it happens, so maybe...

Right now my main ambition is to spend more time exploring Newfoundland, parts of Labrador, and perhaps some areas of Greenland. After that, who knows...
Old 20-12-2020, 19:29   #9

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

We did it. It meant (and still means) a lot to me but the circumnavigation itself wasn't the most important thing at the time.

If I had to guess I'd say that about 20% of people who set out to circumnavigate actually make it, and 80% of people who circumnavigate didn't set out with that as their ultimate goal. It just kind of ended up happening.

It's inevitable really. If you always make the most comfortable decisions about where to go next then you end up sailing mostly with the currents and with the winds. Do that for a while and you end up back where you started (but as a completely different person).
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 20:28   #10

Boat: Bavara 37/Soling 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I hesitate to even offer a comment here. I'm no where near a circumnavigator. I've gone a little way, and have cruised, and do cruise in some interesting areas, but I don't hold a candle people like Dale or the Cates. Still, I am curious about the question.

I really don't put much stock into anyone who comes on here and says, "I've never sailed before but now plan to sail around the world." I don't know what the number is, but I expect the number of these folks that go on to accomplish this deed are vanishingly small.

But it is a question I've been asked, mostly by landlubbers, ever since choosing a cruising lifestyle: "Are you going to sail around the world?" they ask. My answer has been, and remains, "I dunno." It's never been my intention to do so, and I certainly no plans to do it. But I can also see how it happens, so maybe...

Right now my main ambition is to spend more time exploring Newfoundland, parts of Labrador, and perhaps some areas of Greenland. After that, who knows...
Mike, this sounds like my speed. I ran a lot but never marathoned. I went up mountains for a living but never summited Everest. I sail to explore but don't need to circumnavigate.

Respect for those who do.

And thank you all for your answers.
Old 20-12-2020, 20:56   #11

Boat: Outremer 50S

An interesting thread, I’m actually surprised the responses so far have been few in that camp. I’ll speak for my father, in 1970 he decided, with zero boating experience, that he wanted to circumnavigate (he credited National Geographic articles for planting the seed). He spent two years learning to sail on a 16’ beach cat and very occasionally crewing on larger boats.

In 1973 he started constructing our 40’ trimaran (because his research convinced him that was the best vehicle for the task). The boat was launched in ‘75, the house and cars all sold, and the family embarked on a five-year circumnavigation. Aside from that 16’ beach cat the entire offshore experience of the crew consisted of a single Newport-Ensenada race on a sister-ship.

He repeated the trip in the late ‘80s and continued passagemaking with my wife and me well into his seventies. He’s no longer with us, but he devoted a lot of his later life to helping other people realize their boating dreams and several of them have also circumnavigated with little prior experience (I can think of three I know personally).
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 21:00   #12

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I can say the freedom I've tasted has made me completely unemployable, sailing screws up your reference point.. [emoji1787]
I can say ditto to that and I remain forever thankful.
Old 20-12-2020, 21:11   #13

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I started out sailing in a small lake in Illinois saying that I wanted to circumnavigate in 1995. Retired in 2000 and bought a boat I’d seen in Maryland. Sailed it for two years through Caribbean single handed until I sank it in Panama. Bought another in Florida and finished circumnavigation in Colombia last year. I think the biggest reason I ended up doing it was that once I had sailed somewhere I didn’t want to go back. Always wanted to go somewhere new.
DocBrauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 21:20   #14

Boat: Catalina 18, Looking for Larger!

I have sympathy for people who come on here regularly and announce their circumnavigation goals with no experience. Sure, it seems silly after seeing these posts several times a week and knowing many will never log back in for post number 2, let alone actually circumnavigate.

BUT, I think its good to dream. Who cares whether the dream is circumnavigation and the actual sailing is much less. I know plenty of people who dream of playing in the finals of their favorite sport or achieving a national championship in some activity.

I think sailing around the world sounds amazing but starting with baby steps or small goals is better for most people. I'm a noob and a wannabe but dreaming of warm breezes in far off places has helped me make some sailing plans and goals. I took a dinghy class this year. I bought an 18 foot keel boat I can sail in my landlocked area in the middle of the US. I stepped foot on a monohull sailboat for the first time. I sailed on a cruising catamaran for the first time. I have sailed a couple of charters. I got my 101,103,104 ASA certifications.

I am still a baby sailor but I'm excited to sail more. Am I likely to do a circumnavigation? No. Can I still dream of it? You bet. There is nothing wrong with the wannabees and dreamers. They are good for sailing.

Few who try will succeed, but to those who chase their dreams, wherever they end up, I salute you.
jmc42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 21:46   #15

The Suez canal situation probably put a plug on a lot of people's plans? Seems like crossing the Indian ocean and then the south Atlantic is something you do for the sake of doing rather than by choice? Might be fun in a fast boat with an adventurous crew but not some where most retired couples would want to hang around in.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc