Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2020, 07:13   #271

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Common Objects to Defend Your Boat at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by searenity38 View Post
I keep wasp & hornet spray. It has a 20 foot stream that makes it easy to aim. Getting hit in the face and eyes will not only disable the perp but it will result in some serious hospital time.

Not to pick on this contributor, since they are not alone, but this old wives tale has been debunked several times in this thread alone.

I’m not sure if this means people don’t bother to read the thread, or do read and elect to ignore experiences and data in favor of their own flawed perceptions.

Let me put this to bed. I’m an entomologist and as a nature of the field work have been stung over 4000 times by bees, wasps, and ants. Wasp spray does not debilatate humans.

I suspect stating such to be largely a waste of time, let’s count the posts until someone chimes in repeating this old falsehood.
Old 26-09-2020, 07:16   #272

Boat: Bali 4.8 Catamaran

Interesting videos and discussion. Is it true that in some Carribean countries even flare guns are illegal? Although I read in one post to call it a "flare launcher" not a "flare gun'. I also have what they call "bear cartriges" for my flare gun. They are not lethal, but make a large flash bang to hopefully scare someone away.

I like the idea of a product called "pirate lights" which is a motion activated sensor that sets off lights and an alarm if someone boards your boat at night.
Old 26-09-2020, 07:41   #273

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

On the subject of dogs:

I was under the impression that animals were subject to quarantine (kind of like us humans these days) when entering a new country. Wouldn't this make them a bureaucratic 'nuisance', kind of like firearms?
Old 26-09-2020, 15:08   #274

This is a fascinating thread to read. I am glad I do not live in the world that some yachties are in.

To get back to the original question about ways to defend a boat, when I read these comments I notice that those who carry weapons, guns and pepper spray etc, are the one reporting incidents where they had to use them. Those without weapons are not giving similar examples. So may be the best way to defend a boat, is the attitude with which you deal with the rest of the world.
Old 26-09-2020, 15:27   #275

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Just reading how many folks advocate the use of a speargun as a defence mechanism.

When I was a teenager (wow, that was a long time ago) some friends and I decided it would be cool to shoot at a wooden pier post with a spear gun. Right up until the first person missed the post and the small reel of strong fishing line attached to the spear got to it’s end. At that moment the spear came back at almost the same speed as it went out, narrowly missing the “shooter”.

So if you’re going to use one, either make sure you don’t miss or make sure there isn’t a line connected to the spear.

In another life (which included collecting handguns) I learned two things. First, never point a gun at someone unless you are fully committed to killing them. Second, the baddies not only (mostly) have better weapons, they’re more likely to use them and don’t really care who dies. When the baddies in my home town started arming themselves with AK47’s, I sold my entire handgun collection. Pointing a paintball gun at them was basically the gold standard in suicide plans.
Old 26-09-2020, 15:41   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
On the subject of dogs:

I was under the impression that animals were subject to quarantine (kind of like us humans these days) when entering a new country. Wouldn't this make them a bureaucratic 'nuisance', kind of like firearms?
Yes, you’d have to do a lot of research and be very thorough. I imagine potentially if you left the dog on the boat that’d be ok in some places?
Old 26-09-2020, 16:28   #277

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

What about a rubber octopus?

https://nypost.com/2020/09/24/navy-d...error-attacks/
Old 26-09-2020, 16:35   #278

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

What about some extra crew or this dog that doesn’t need quarantine?

Old 26-09-2020, 18:34   #279

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
What about some extra crew or this dog that doesn’t need quarantine?

But can it swim?
Old 27-09-2020, 05:24   #280

I find this whole thread a bit confusing. There is not a single question mark in the original post. The OP put up a series of unrelated statements regarding various possible improvised weapons and then the board responded with 300 "answers.". Seems like a troll to me.
JEB
Old 27-09-2020, 05:49   #281

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by john manning View Post
This is a fascinating thread to read. I am glad I do not live in the world that some yachties are in.

To get back to the original question about ways to defend a boat, when I read these comments I notice that those who carry weapons, guns and pepper spray etc, are the one reporting incidents where they had to use them. Those without weapons are not giving similar examples. So may be the best way to defend a boat, is the attitude with which you deal with the rest of the world.

Isn’t that logical though? I can understand why someone who has no negative experiences such as being mugged or attacked or witnessing such an attack might think that preparing for the possibility is just a paranoid waste of time, but attacks and muggings do happen and once it happens to you or someone you know, you realize what an unpleasant experience it is so you naturally start thinking about how to avoid being victimized by another similar attack. Avoiding the areas where prior attacks have occurred is one tactic that can help us avoid being victimized, but unfortunately it’s not foolproof and attacks can happen other places as well. Nothing to obsess about in most areas but in addition to being cautious it doesn’t hurt to spend a little time preparing just in case your caution and great attitude towards others doesn’t protect you.

Your suggestion that these sort of attacks are prompted by the attitude with which some people deal with the rest of the world is ridiculous. Do you really think pirates or muggers, when they see a sail on the horizon or a person walking on the sidewalk, do a quick check to see who their victim is and what his attitude is, or do they just see the potential for some easy money and decide to attempt an attack even before they have any idea about how you deal with the rest of the world? I think the answer is pretty obvious. If you really think a pirate or mugger is going to leave you alone because you’re such a nice guy and you have exhibited such a great attitude in the way you deal with the rest of the world, you’re just kidding yourself.
Old 27-09-2020, 07:54   #282

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

This will sound silly at first but think about it: a loud recording of a large dog barking. If the bad guys intend to go below and steal, if there is a large dog they’re going to have to kill it, and the only safe way to do that is with a gun. No idiot would use a knife to tangle with a dog. So it may just give them consideration to shop elsewhere. Which is the best defense.
Old 27-09-2020, 08:41   #283

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateFoxy View Post
Anyone proposing a variant of pepper spray needs to see what it’s like - when I was in high school another student stupidly sprayed a tiny amount at the carpet in a classroom and it cleared the room and took us all quite a while to recover. It made it quite obvious that while it could be quite effective, you also need to be extremely careful about how and when you use it so you don’t incapacitate yourself.
Do you have Mask and Tank (diving equipment) on board?

Problem solved
Old 27-09-2020, 10:11   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cobbe View Post
When we were in Caribbean a number of American boats carried rifles, they handed them over customs with no problems and picked them up when they left. I remember an American yacht off the Venezuelan coast was approached by a pirate boat he fired warning shots with an M16 and they turned away.
Really? I highly doubt ANYBODY fired an M16.....M16’s shoot 3 round bursts and are military issued. Check the validity of your story before telling it.......and thus begins the weapon debate.......
Old 27-09-2020, 16:13   #285

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2 owners version #331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
This will sound silly at first but think about it: a loud recording of a large dog barking. If the bad guys intend to go below and steal, if there is a large dog they’re going to have to kill it, and the only safe way to do that is with a gun. No idiot would use a knife to tangle with a dog. So it may just give them consideration to shop elsewhere. Which is the best defense.
I used a barking dog recording on my boat when ever I left my boat in an anchorage
Closed Thread

Tags
boat