Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2016, 07:06   #1

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Common Neg. vs Common Pos. MPPT controllers

I'm starting to put together my Solar system for my Morgan OI 41 (ketch). Right now I am planning on having 5-600 watts on the stern lifelines. Being a Ketch makes having a stern mounted system a bit problematic and I don't want a big arch danggling x feet out the stern. So for now I'm looking at either putting 2 x 160 watt panels on the port and stbd lifelines ( I have rails not wire on the back half of my life lines) or 1 x 100 and 1 x 160 watt on each side. I've pretty much settled on grap solar for the panels as they seem to be economical and have a good reputation.

Now I'm working on the MPPT controller. I'm planning on using 2 ( one for port and stbd) so that the controllers can handle what is going to be different conditions on each side of my mizzen mast. I'll likely be using 2 30amp controllers. but what I'm seeing is some controllers are "Common positive" and some controllers are "Common negative". That technically in terms of operation is the difference? So far my googling has come up with little in the way of information as the the difference and/or benefit of either.

Does anyone have any insite into this?
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mppt