Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2015, 14:40   #136

Boat: Samson C Mist 32
Re: CF Member Rescued After Being Lost at Sea For 66 Days-Merged

Given the difficulty "the media" have in getting the facts straight on any story, I think using correct nautical terminology in the interviews we're talking about would be worse than what we're seeing. Since most of the intended audience are landlubbers, "strings that hold up the mast" works for me.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 14:45   #137

Boat: Little Harbor 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bean View Post
Given the difficulty "the media" have in getting the facts straight on any story, I think using correct nautical terminology in the interviews we're talking about would be worse than what we're seeing. Since most of the intended audience are landlubbers, "strings that hold up the mast" works for me.
I consider that dumbing down, and liken it to wealth redistribution. But that's just me.
FlightPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 14:50   #138

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightPlan View Post
I consider that dumbing down, and liken it to wealth redistribution. But that's just me.
Unless he was referring to Dyneema or Spectra, in which case, we could let it slide.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 15:00   #139

Yeah, that would be confusing. Especially if you had both on board. I was just trying to point out that Nautical terms are mostly universal and most sailors will understand things like head and head stay and not compare it to regional terms like Pop and Soda.
Old 05-04-2015, 15:05   #140

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

I was being a wise-acre.
I sent him a PM and hope he comes back on the forum to fill in the missing details on his adventure.
I have a feeling that he'll have a few lessons under his belt before he takes another offshore trip.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 15:14   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
I was being a wise-acre.
I sent him a PM and hope he comes back on the forum to fill in the missing details on his adventure.
I have a feeling that he'll have a few lessons under his belt before he takes another offshore trip.
I knew that. It's why I used head and head stay.
I agree he should come on and give the details. I'm particularly interested in the survival story. You have to be made of metal to get thru that ordeal. It's a big ocean.
Old 05-04-2015, 17:55   #142

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Obviously a story of the loss of a sailboat or some kind of mishap or incident requiring rescue or abandonment of a boat will draw comments from many points of view and types of comments too (some critical, some apologetic, some reasonable, some questioning, some dogmatic).

I know posting this may luff some sails here, but…

I think any sailor who survives the capsizing of a keel boat multiple times offshore deserves a "glad you survived" from a community of sailors.

I think any sailor who survives while adrift for many days offshore deserves a "glad you survived" from a community of sailors.

I think any sailor who survives months offshore on meager food and water, deserves a "glad you survived" from a community of sailors.

I hope the discussion of the loss of the boat "Angel" can be continued in a way that is helpful to others.
Well said! Thank you.
Old 05-04-2015, 18:06   #143

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
We can all make poor judgements based on our own experience or our own bias or taste or view or lack of knowledge.

I am glad that someone posted the photos showing the sailor Louis Jordan with very short hair (buzz cut). That clearly shows that an assumption based on a single photo of the same man hours after his rescue can be wrong.

I made the statement that the rescued man's short hair was a surprise to me, because I assumed something based on my POV and my own experience (i.e. that MY hair would have been longer and shaggy after 66 days without a hair cut).

When I posted my observation about hair length earlier in this thread, I did so with some amusement (at myself), because I think I would have looked a lot worse after 64 days of meager rations and little water. I was honestly surprised that he looked so good. So, I chuckle at myself, not at the survivor.

I know after I came off a boat after 30 days and nights nonstop on a moving boat on the Pacific ocean, I looked scruffy, smelled more than usual, and walked like a drunken sailor when I first got on terra firma. The motion of the ocean lasted a long time with me, and it was funny to feel the solid land moving beneath my feet.

Lessons from this?

Don't be misled by one's own experience to think everyone will experience the same.
Don't expect a single photo to tell a story.
Don't let the length of a person's hair matter.
Thank you for that and it is well said.

His being raised in a basket aboard a helicopter and his walking down a corridor after a helicopter ride were hours or days after he was aboard a cargo ship. I'm certain he had a chance to take a shower and get some rest as well as water and food. When on a Navy ship and rescueing boat people in the 70s and 80s we (the crew) donated soap, shampoo, extra clothes, food and had showers set up as well as a place to eat even if they were aboard for just a few hours.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:43   #144

Boat: Nassau 34

this pretty much summons up how I fell about this fish story--

John Vigor's Blog: A black eye for the Press
Old 06-04-2015, 09:08   #145

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
So what are "We" to do to stop it?
You have to have an inspection and license to take a boat out of the harbor?
When I wrote the above quote, I wrote it "tongue in cheek." We do not need more regulations in the boating community or our personal lives. The sad consequence is that when people who are obviously ill-prepared to venture offshore do so throwing all caution to the wind and at great expense to the CG, we are sliding on a fast track to government regulation. The pot is not full. We are 18 trillion dollars in debt and rising. Good luck and good sailing. R
Old 06-04-2015, 09:12   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Well, if he had an epirb...

Mark
Mark,
Would the CG rescue be any less costly? And, the fact that he didn't have an EPIRB is another example of his incompetency. No problem there. R
Old 06-04-2015, 09:53   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_77903 View Post
Its a shame that we're not all as brilliant and mistake free as some on this forum.
I can't cast the first stone, but guess some on here feel they can.

Jury rig - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gee, Bob, you appear to dislike people who have opinions and are capable of taking a stand on issues. My stand is clear: there are far too many incompetent people taking to the sea without a well found boat and credible experience and expecting to be rescued at great cost to us taxpayers when something goes wrong. It leads to more unnecessary government regulation. Would you climb Mt. Everest ill-prepared and on a whim? If you did . . . you would have no compassion from people like me in a worst case scenario since the act of climbing a mountain without proper preparation and lack of experience would be a indication of your naivete and selfishness. Why should taking to the sea be different? Our world is changing rapidly and there are many who believe freedom means the ability to do anything one wants--regardless of its consequences to the person or others, since it is their right. These are obviously people who have no knowledge of American History or the meaning of freedom. Early in my sailing experience, I had a strong desire to sail at a higher level than which I was properly prepared. I didn't throw caution to the wind, but waited until my sailing skills and experience matched the level of sailing I desired. It didn't mean that I would never suffer a mishap, but rather that I knew I was capable of handling whatever happened in a worse case scenario and would probably not have to press the panic button for an unnecessary rescue. There are many experienced sailors on this Forum who have honed their skills in a similar fashion. So, it has nothing to do with brilliance or being "mistake free," but rather taking a serious, intelligent, competent approach to a pastime/sport/hobby that has the potential for injury and loss of human life. You're not playing checkers with Grandpa.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:08   #148
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Some of Louis' threads on Cruisers Forum (LiveaboardL) certainly lend a bit of insight...

Preserve Fish Meat In Hot Climates

How Far Out To Sea Is Safe In A Hurricane?

Raise Battery Voltage For The Inverter?

Fire if improper electrical connection?

This one contains a quote I find stunning....

LiveaboardL / AKA Louis Jordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboardL View Post
I was rewiring my boat after smoking a little herb and now whenever I run my bilge pump, the bilge water empties into the cockpit while, at the same time, pushing some of the bilge water out of the boat like it should.

When the bilge pump is turned off, the water slowly drains from the cockpit back into the bilge.

Now get this, my other bilge pump sucks water from my cockpit and empties it into the bilge, but on only one side. I think the other side is clogged or something.

So while one bilge pump sucks, the other one blows. Damn I've been watching too much FAP.

Suggestions?
Bilge Pump Emptying into the Cockpit

What's the Best Fishing Tackle & Stretegies for Cruising East Coast US?

30 amp ext cord to 50 amp outlet jerry-rig

Shocked from Touching A/C Distribution Panel

Chainplate's isn't mounted right. Is it still OK to sail?

Current, vs wind, vs boat direction?

Easy, free Fish & other food while living aboard

Drinking Rainwater with Tiny Bugs Swimming in It

Alberg 35: heave to, drying out, reefing...

Worst, Most Common Boating Mistakes Caused from Ignorance

Old 06-04-2015, 10:14   #149
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Haha c'mon Maine, surely you must have appreciated the raise battery voltage for inverter thread as well
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:18   #150
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

oh oh....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost, member, rescue