Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2023, 07:03   #1

Boat: None at this time
Bring Captain's credentials or not.

Starting with the question: "Should I bring my Merchant Mariner Credentials and TWIC card if I am not acting as a paid crew member ".
I am traveling to St.Thomas USVI from the US, to be an unpaid crew on a sailboat traveling to the Bahamas. In the past I flew into the Bahamas simply to give an estimate for a job. When the customs agent saw my tape measure, I was taken to a holding room and questioned about my travel purposes. I explained my trip was to give an estimate for work. This apparently was a problem. I was held until my contact there was able to get me released. (He was on the immigration board). I don't wish to cause these same problems for myself or the boat. On the other hand I feel it's beneficial to have them with me.
Captain Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 07:53   #2

Boat: Endeavour 32
Re: Bring Captain's credentials or not.

Take them with, deploy IF necessary. It’s not like they’ll go thru your wallet on arrival.
SY Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 07:56   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bring Captain's credentials or not.

Better to have and not need than need and not have.. I'd skip the tape measure though, there's likely one on board..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 07:57   #4

The purpose of your visit is recreation / tourism [unpaid crew / I have arrived to go on a yacht cruise.]; you are not entering the country in your professional capacity or for work hence there is no purpose carrying or presenting your TWIC and MMC because neither documentation is required to board a recreational boat.

Recommend that you do not confound the immigration complexities.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 12:18   #5

Boat: Columbia 36

I'm with Montanan. If visiting a country that would require a work visa, I wouldn't bring anything that might imply I was there for work.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 12:30   #6

Boat: Tartan 3800

Well, there are a bunch of reasons to bring your MMC and TWIC. They will help matters considerably if your passport is lost and are considered valid ID by the TSA. They will help deescalate any encounter with overzealous cops in a port in the USA or USVI who believe you're in a restricted area. You might need them if the character of your trip changes for one reason or another. They might help if you are renting a boat for one reason or another and want to show competence (even if renting boat isn't part of the plan).

All that's pretty weak sauce, but I don't think a TWIC in your wallet or a MMC in your bag will raise any eyebrows if you don't present it. If they ask just say you think you might need it later in the trip, which after all is true.
Old 12-03-2023, 13:20   #7

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I'd carry them. The TWIC came in handy in Hawaii and St Croix. When I fly in to pick up boats, I always check the recreational box on landing documents, but if things go south I might flash the Captain's license.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 15:29   #8

Boat: None at this time

donradcliffe, Thank you. I was on the fence but I believe I am taking your advice much appreciated.
Captain Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 15:48   #9

Boat: C-26

Ditto Boatman61. Better to have than not. Interestingly, I ran charters and deliveries for many years. Never once in the United States, was I asked to produce papers. I was only verbally asked if I had a licence. But overseas ports always asked for papers, whether I was there to work or relax if it involved renting a boat. In Greece, they made a copy and put it in my file. In Pula, Croatia, they took one look at that USCG document and started to treat me like a rock star. It was amazing! I was the first American to ever grace their presence and had never seen a USCG license before. They went so far as to have a marina worker drive me to the grocery store so I could provision and he loaded 2 weeks of grub into the truck and then carted them to my boat 100 yards down the dock. Gotta love it!
Lionshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 17:26   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

We've done surveys in Freeport lugging all our survey equipment, we've been honest about why we were there and have been waived through every time.
Old 12-03-2023, 17:54   #11
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Don't sweat it, bring TWIC and license, makes no difference, but you they could come in handy, if needed, as stated above.
(The TWIC by the way, is no longer valid ID with the TSA as of 2 years ago when I flashed it at the FLL airport.)
Old 13-03-2023, 02:43   #12

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 41
Send a message via Skype™ to Kijit

The TWIC is still a valid ID for boarding a plane. The problem is that the readers they are now using at many of the airports cannot read it. As one agent told me, yes, you can use the TWIC but I can't read it, and he put it in the reader to demonstrate, and then said so unless you want to hang around a while, I suggest your drivers license.

This is from the TSA website as of today:

Yes. The new card meets TSA security standards for valid identification, and a valid unexpired TWIC® can be used to board planes. TSA officers are trained to recognize the TWIC® as an acceptable form of identification.

Note: Certain airports, facilities or vessels may request additional information to verify one’s personal identity. Please see the access requirements of individual authorities, owners or operators for additional information.
Kijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2023, 07:14   #13
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kijit View Post
The TWIC is still a valid ID for boarding a plane. The problem is that the readers they are now using at many of the airports cannot read it. As one agent told me, yes, you can use the TWIC but I can't read it, and he put it in the reader to demonstrate, and then said so unless you want to hang around a while, I suggest your drivers license.

This is from the TSA website as of today:

Yes. The new card meets TSA security standards for valid identification, and a valid unexpired TWIC® can be used to board planes. TSA officers are trained to recognize the TWIC® as an acceptable form of identification.

Note: Certain airports, facilities or vessels may request additional information to verify one’s personal identity. Please see the access requirements of individual authorities, owners or operators for additional information.
Good to know, but the TSA guy I talked to said otherwise.
Tried to use the TWIC for ID to rent a PO Box, not accepted by the US Post Office.
(Wife had my drivers license as she was getting a rental car with 2 drivers)

Now I just leave the TWIC on the boat: In Florida the water cops can ask for a photo ID when/if they stop you.
Old 13-03-2023, 07:34   #14

When entering a country to pick up a delivery, I have always said I was traveling on “business”. Why? Because I am! A few times I have been asked the nature of my business, and a response of “Yacht Captain” has always been accepted without issue. Honesty is the best policy.

On the other hand, if you are coming into the country to do local work on boats in country, that would be a problem without a work visa. I have no experience with doing that, and will not be getting any.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2023, 21:29   #15

I prefer not to take my commercial licence sailing, unless the circumstances include the possibility of being asked to show proof of competence might come up.

I often carry my commercial license with me. if traveling internationally just as part of my regular paperwork. Nobody ever had an issue.

Sailing with friends no I wouldn’t bother.
If it is a charter somebody will have to show something legit.

If I was traveling as voluntary crew. Where I might have official status as crew, I would carry my commercial licence. I may not need it. JIK.

I have the option I could just take CYA logbook with sailing certificates and stamps but they are all unofficial.

Recently I decided to get a PCOC just for the convenience of having something which fits in my wallet. After a long conversation with a border agent re not having proof of competence with me.
I had a similar encounter with fisheries. Fortunately I did have the required fishing license.

My opinion it’s just like carrying a driver’s license it doesn’t mean you will be working.
I have never encountered an issue traveling internationally. Having traveled as a tourist with my license on numerous occasions. Including the US
If asked, no I’m not intending on working,I carry my lisence JIK I have to travel direct to work without going home.

Just be truthful about your intentions. If I enter a country as crew, and leave as crew, not a problem.
Entering a country and as crew then asking to stay as a tourist. Doesn’t work, I tied changing my mind, which I could have done at port of entry, you can’t change your mind in trans. You have to leave and come back as new entry as tourist.
In some countries you have to have the right visa to enter as crew. Eg the US.
So it’s worth asking.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain