Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: How many Suns does the earth rotate around
One 2 66.67%
1 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2016, 13:51   #1

Captain Needed to bring Vessel from San Deigo to Seattle

Hey Yall,

After reaching out to a few places and failing to find an available person. Going to try something new here. Is anyone on here a certified captain willing to bring my vessel from Shelter Island SD to her home in Seattle? I sailed the West coast last year of N America, but had to come back due to work, dont see getting free anytime in the next few months. Would love her delivered asap. Has new engine, solar, full jack line, sat, ais system, etc.. for offshoring, just needs someone with the time to bring it up.

I would like to consider a trade if your a native to Washington, bring the boat up for full access to it for the rest of the season until early fall, then I plan on selling it. Or just the standard Fee.

2001 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 37' She is ready to rock right now! Needs nothing but some spare diesel jugs for you to go all the way if you plan on heading far out. She has spare parts on her for almost anything from sail kits, any hull holes, etc pumps, filters, wires, etc..
Old 09-04-2016, 07:46   #2

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft
Re: Captain Needed to bring Vessel from San Deigo to Seattle

Dear Captain, it is going to be tough and a miserable trip. Put her on a truck bed, ride the interstate highway and be done. Good luck.
Old 10-04-2016, 22:40   #3

Boat: Caliber 40

Three of my friends that live in the same marina as I in San Diego are full time USCG Captains with a total of 65-years experience. I have done SoCal deliveries with all of them. They have all done a SoCal to Seattle delivery (a total of 6 between the three of them).

Not a one of three want to do the San Diego to Seattle trip in a boat as small or light as a Jeanneau 37.

Two did say they might do the trip for the appropriate fee:
$350/day for Captain (San Diego to San Diego)
$150/day for 2nd crew
Airfare return from Seattle
$75/day per diem when stuck in port

They both said to expect at least 21-billable days and at least five days in port.

You can put the boat on the truck for a lot less money, wear and tear on the boat, and much less risk.

Have you read the hundreds of postings on this forum concerning the trip from San Diego to Seattle?

I've done Seattle to San Diego four times and Cabo San Lucas to San Diego twice, and whole lot more oceanic sailing. I would never consider sailing my 40' BlueWater cutter from San Diego to Seattle. Another friend (Seattle to San Diego three times, Seattle to Ft Lauderdale) chose to ship his 47' cutter from Cabo San Lucas to Victoria on two different occasions.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:16   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Ditto
Not a trip I'd do for 500/day
Truck it
(Or sail to Hawaii and then back east)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-04-2016, 07:52   #5

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
Ditto
Not a trip I'd do for 500/day
Truck it
(Or sail to Hawaii and then back east)
Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Not sure if I want to sail to Hawaii and back to Seattle. I sailed Jean 37 for 2 years, I would not take that trip.

Actually a better solution is to sell the boat in San Diego. Don't bother to truck it.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:34   #6

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

I'm a certified deivery captain. Believe me. Put in a truck a cut your loses
Old 11-04-2016, 09:09   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Has anyone here trucked a boat of this size between SD & Seattle?

What was the cost, and what year?
Old 11-04-2016, 10:54   #8

Boat: Caliber 40

Here is one additional consideration when choosing how to go north.

It is 1200 NM directly into the wind from Pt Loma to Neah Bay. You will be lucky to get 6 NM per gallon and your boat has a 36 gallon tank. You don't want to use the bottom 6 gallons so will need to stop for fuel every 180 miles. That means you will have to stop in

Santa Barbara
Monterrey
Noyo River
Crescent City
Coos Bay
Newport, Oregon
Grays Harbor, Washington
Neah Bay

Noyo River to West Port are all serious bar crossings that require skill and experience and frequently close for days at a time. I've been stuck in Westport, Newport, Coos Bay, Brookings, Noyo River for many days when the USCG would not let us leave. You will be paying the captain for every one of those days. The longest wait was 5-days at Westport.

Each of those stops will add at least a half day to your trip when compared to staying offshore and sailing.

Additionally you'll be lucky to motor into the prevailing swell and wind at more than an average 5-knot speed so you're looking at 240 hours of motoring from Pt Loma to Neah Bay (10-days).
Old 15-04-2016, 06:35   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Yokoyama 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
Here is one additional consideration when choosing how to go north.

It is 1200 NM directly into the wind from Pt Loma to Neah Bay. You will be lucky to get 6 NM per gallon and your boat has a 36 gallon tank. You don't want to use the bottom 6 gallons so will need to stop for fuel every 180 miles. That means you will have to stop in

Santa Barbara
Monterrey
Noyo River
Crescent City
Coos Bay
Newport, Oregon
Grays Harbor, Washington
Neah Bay

Noyo River to West Port are all serious bar crossings that require skill and experience and frequently close for days at a time. I've been stuck in Westport, Newport, Coos Bay, Brookings, Noyo River for many days when the USCG would not let us leave. You will be paying the captain for every one of those days. The longest wait was 5-days at Westport.

Each of those stops will add at least a half day to your trip when compared to staying offshore and sailing.

Additionally you'll be lucky to motor into the prevailing swell and wind at more than an average 5-knot speed so you're looking at 240 hours of motoring from Pt Loma to Neah Bay (10-days).
211 gallons will be needed with one stop in SF. 20 - 5.28gallons cans with diesel fuel and it will take about 216 sailing hours + one stop in SF.
Old 15-04-2016, 15:42   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

sailingmaster,

That sounds like you're planning on everything going perfectly. 211 gallons, eh, sure that will be enough? Into the current and the wind? And all the transfers of fuel not spilling a drop? and where exactly would you store the 20 5.28 gal. fuel jugs? If below decks, how would you plan to secure them? If along the lifelines, be prepared to lose the leeward ones.

My intent here isn't to shoot you down, but I am a boat owner who might want sometime to have a boat delivered, and therefore, it would be helpful to learn why you are so sure that all that would work smoothly, and not beat up the boat too much.

Thank you,

Ann
Old 15-04-2016, 17:05   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingmaster View Post
211 gallons will be needed with one stop in SF. 20 - 5.28gallons cans with diesel fuel and it will take about 216 sailing hours + one stop in SF.
Great precision, but I doubt the accuracy and would be interested in the error bars
Old 15-04-2016, 17:07   #12

Boat: Traditional 30

Given the costs involved, why not sell it in-situ and save the mess around?
Old 15-04-2016, 17:53   #13
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Uniflite 31, 1973

Another here with experience on that run, and another recommendation for the truck!
Old 16-04-2016, 11:43   #14

It's a 1,200 NM delivery on a nice cruising boat. Not too fast going upwind, would you say your VMG is 5kts on a terrible scenario? That's 120NM a day, so 10 days of sailing, say that you stop 5 times for fuel or to wait for perfect weather... Call it 15 days maximum. I'm used to do SD-SF in less than 3 days

The worst part will be channel islands but well... you either plan for a "nicer" weather window or enjoy the bumpy ride until you're past them.

6$/mile for a captain+1 crew + 10% provisioning + fuel costs + flight home = estimate $10,000 for the gig.

Ask how much a truck + logistics (mast down etc) will be and find a professional delivery captain (i.e. a worker/full time professional)
Old 16-04-2016, 12:16   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

While Pt. Conception can be a bear, the worst part will probably be north of San Francisco. Sometimes you get lucky, but it's often a semi-permanent gale from the northwest between San Francisco and mid-Oregon, with 10-20-ft seas. There's no way the boat will be sailing at 5kts VMG into those conditions. More like 3kts, with tacking and current/wind/waves against you.

People do make this trip, but they usually motor. I tried once (sailing, then motorsailing) and ended up turning around. Since then I've gone via Hawaii (but I *wanted* to go to Hawaii, so it worked out). My last southbound trip was pretty hairy and there's no way I would volunteer to sail north in the conditions we had.

I'm not saying it can't be done (it can be, and is done), but people have their boats trucked up Hwy 5 for a reason...
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com

Tags
captain, seattle