Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2020, 15:54   #1

Brand New Sailboat Ready For Open Ocean?

I have experience in sailing and buying used boats but never a brand new one. I plan on finally living my dream and travelling the world, and have saved up enough money to do that. I was originally going to be sailing on an older boat but made the decision to buy a brand new one instead, well in the next few months or whenever this pandemic is over. Anyways I’m planning on buying a brand new Oceanis 35.1, and was wondering how long I should wait before setting sail after I do the necessary upgrades. I just don’t want to find myself in the middle of the ocean and something drastic goes down.
World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 16:00   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Brand New Sailboat Ready For Open Ocean?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, World.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 16:29   #3

Boat: Volkscruiser

World I would be getting your new boat surveyed to make sure it is ok and then after a few coastal passages I would think she would be fit to cross oceans. Things are always going to go wrong, but hopefully the coastal passages will iron out the bugs. Personally I think the boat will be fine, it will just be the electrics or something like that will give you grief.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 18:07   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

When you buy a brand new boat, you pay for all the commissioning costs, and you will be surprised how much they are. We've never bought a new boat. Let the previous owner install the windlass, the anchor(s) and chain. When you go cruising, you want to anchor at your destination or pick up a mooring. You are going to need a lot of line. You will save thousands by buying your boat used.

However, I suggest you start using your Google and start making a list of what you think is essential. Want a refrigerator? radar? electric windlass? line? amidships cleats? There are websites with products and prices. Start learning.

Ann
Old 29-04-2020, 10:37   #5

We bought a new boat in France last summer and the three months of cruising we did on our way to the Canaries was more than enough time to identify all issues and correct the ones that needed correcting before crossing the Atlantic in November. All new boats have a surprisingly long list of issues and you need a bit of cruising to find them. Also, we had all add ons for bluewater cruising done in La Rochelle after delivery of the boat.
mdamours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 10:52   #6

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

I'd start out with a couple of coastal cruises first - and shoot for some experience in bad weather & at night. Becoming familiar with how the boat reacts, and muscle memory from common procedures - are important to avoiding snafus... Doing this - you'll probably also discover most of what needs to be mechanically adjusted and/or fixed as well. I'd feel pretty confident after doing that-

Great problem to have - good luck-
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 10:56   #7

Instead of a model year 2020, I'd be looking at used 2015+. It's a new boat, with the PO taking the initial depreciation hit and outfitting it with sails, electronics, etc. It will be less costly in the long run.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 11:05   #8

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Instead of a model year 2020, I'd be looking at used 2015+. It's a new boat, with the PO taking the initial depreciation hit and outfitting it with sails, electronics, etc. It will be less costly in the long run.

Plus, most of the "new boat" bugs are likely ironed out - and the boat is outfitted too. If you can find something you like, it can be a great deal.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 11:18   #9

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

bought a new FP in La Rochelle in 2011, 1 day sea trial and crossed the Atlantic (short window for hurricanes), 2 hatches leaked a bit, and the running rigging was not up to the task....changed all the ropes, fixed the leaks and still in great shape. I did not have the opportunity of testing if you do you'll be able to hone the boat out and if its a ocean rated boat, enjoy
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 11:25   #10

Boat: Backcove 29

After many years of cruising the Caribbean, Europe and Mexico, it still took 6 months to prepare my new Beneteau 42CC for a long ocean cruise into the South Pacific and cost an additional 20% of the initial cost of the boat incl. spare parts for every mechanical item incl. engine and electrical system. Understand how to maintain the engine (i.e. knowing where every zinc is located and how to get to them as you may need a special long socket to reach). Consider solar panels and wind generator (if you plan on cruising the Northern waters), light air and heavy weather sails, reefing gear, heavier than standard anchors, chain and lines, windless, etc.
Please practice sailing in every weather condition before heading out! Always be prepared for the worst, always keep the boat tidy, tie down everything. Make sure your dingy is secured in heavy davits, motor on stern bracket.
Sorry, I could go on and on. Have an experienced ocean cruiser work with you.
Eb Schenk
ebschenk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 11:43   #11

So the OP announces that he has decided to get a new boat, and then people wax on about why he shouldn't do that. Even some who admit they've never done it.

While there are costs involved, there is also the benefit of equipment being new and under warranty. There's the new boat smell. There's the fact that you have exactly the boat you've configured to your own use and specification. There's a lot of intangibles there.

While I'm normally in the "buy used" camp, I also can see why someone might purchase a new boat, as you won't get to do that very often. The only real reason not to do it is if you think you're going to want to change boats in a couple of years. If you keep the boat long enough, it really won't make any difference at all.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 11:47   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

What's the rush?
Sit tight till this CV outbreak is redolved.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 12:48   #13
Marine Service Provider

You'll have to get a survey for insurance but most are not worth the paper they are written on. Just a box to be checked by the insurance company. I can send you a half dozen or so that any kid in my club's junior sailing school could find fault with. I had one done for an out-of-owner one time that said "engine looks good, didn't try to start it." I had one done on my own boat where the charter manager had stowed cans of 2cy oil, half empty little green propane tanks and BBQ lighter fluid in the vented propane locker with the two big propane tanks. Very big USCG no, no. The surveyor didn't notice. Life jackets didn't comply as well.

You say you have long-time experience, then do your own "survey" of every nut, bolt, screw, fitting, rigging, sail, inch of wire, all accessories, onboard equipment, fire and safety equipment, ground tackle, etc. Dive on her if she is in the water, Get help from a qualified friend that you trust.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 13:38   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

The real difference between a new boat and a used boat is the amount of "stuff" you will end up buying for the new boat that the used boat invariable already has.

As mentioned elsewhere, extra lines, instruments, SSB radio's, bedding, eating utensils, anchors and rode, dinghy and motor, solar panels, wind chargers, inverters, generator, numerous spares, extra sails, emergency gear, flares, epirb's, etc, etc, ad nauseam.

Though a new boat may come with some basic stuff, I assure you, it will not come with all the "stuff" you'll need to go cruising.
As you already acknowledged, whatever you'll pay for the new boat, figure on another $20K minimum at least to get basic "stuff" you'll want to have on your boat.

In fact, $20K may be a little light. I could spend $20k in a heartbeat on stuff

As other posters have mentioned, in light of the current C virus thing, the boating market has taken quite a hit and it might be a good time to shop around a bit.

After that.....just get going....your boat will never be 100% ready to go as you can always find something that needs to be done.

Something "drastic" can happen to a 40 year veteran as easily as a newbie, but the veteran will have " experience" on his side. You can't buy experience unfortunately, you have to go thru' the school of hard knocks for that.

Just get going, you'll start to figure out stuff once you've left the dock. You need to be moving in order to know what you need to do and get. Be prepared for a steep learning curve, but if you have done a lot of previous sailing, you will know what to expect.

Enjoy your new boat !!!!
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 13:50   #15

What's with all the "boat market has taken a hit" conclusions?

I mean, do we know that, actually?

Everybody staying at home for a month doesn't suddenly devalue all of our cars, houses, and boats, does it?

I'm not at all sure that the conventional wisdom is wisdom.

The economy isn't normal because people aren't going outside yet. I expect some deals (particularly on cruise ships), but I'm not sure large consumer goods are all going to be 50% off when we do go outside again.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat