Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2019, 21:47   #16

Re: Boat Yards Hostile to Do-It-Yourselfers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
What's the name of your business?
I disagree with fastbottoms on a lot of issues but on this one I'm in complete agreement...it's fighting a lost battle. You are better off moving on.

His business name is irrelevant as he is NOT the one who is causing the issue and shouldn't get drug in as if he is at fault.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 22:03   #17
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I disagree with fastbottoms on a lot of issues but on this one I'm in complete agreement...it's fighting a lost battle. You are better off moving on.

His business name is irrelevant as he is NOT the one who is causing the issue and shouldn't get drug in as if he is at fault.
Holy jeezus. I'll guess I'll have to assume your intent was good...
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 22:33   #18

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
Something I realized many years back......Pirates were not as a whole eradicated.....they just stayed ashore and own marina's and boatyards.

If you keep that in mind you will rarely be surprised.

Just sayin.
Particularly perceptive aren't you.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:05   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

The OP's issue seemingly is about extortion at worst or suffering from a coercive monopoly economic practices at best.

Encouraging payment of of two day's take-home pay for the average American while discouraging legal remedy with only writing something negative on a wall somewhere to feel better is a curious approach to take. It's one thing to say nothing at all, another to offer such advice.

If writing something is the remedy, better to write the corporation commission, professional boards, etc with complaints of questions about imprudent business practices or unethical behavior. Yelp has no power to reduce extortion if/when individual consumers have no choice but to deal with "like minded" practices. The government has the responsibility and power to police businesses engaged in unethical practices.

We each are entitled to our opinions. I'm not in favor of replacing the governmental police function with a Yelp server.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:12   #20

Quote:
The OP's issue seemingly is about extortion at worst or suffering from a coercive monopoly economic practices at best.

Encouraging payment of of two day's take-home pay for the average American while discouraging legal remedy with only writing something negative on a wall somewhere to feel better is a curious approach to take. It's one thing to say nothing at all, another to offer such advice.

If writing something is the remedy, better to write the corporation commission, professional boards, etc with complaints of questions about imprudent business practices or unethical behavior. Yelp has no power to reduce extortion if/when individual consumers have no choice but to deal with "like minded" practices. The government has the responsibility and power to police businesses engaged in unethical practices.

We each are entitled to our opinions. I'm not in favor of replacing the governmental police function with a Yelp server.
So far no illegal practices have been documented. He failed to get clear direction on what was or was not allowed in writing. Plus civil contract issues are not a police function.

Even if there are illegal practices, it's simply not worth the trouble from a financial point of view to pursue legal remedy.

If it makes you feel better to spend 3 times as much cash and a lot of time and emotion...only then lose anyway go for it but realistically the best bet is to take it as a lesson and next time get clear direction in writing regarding what work is allowed.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:23   #21

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

My neighbors were in a 10-month wait/brush-off with a RV shop doing warranty work on an almost-new RV. It took less than a week after their poor review online for the shop to call them and make arrangements for the work to be completed. They were asked to change the review after the work was completed.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:29   #22

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:

You want the government to get involved in a lay day dispute?

God help us.....
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:34   #23
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:

So you advocate that the OP lose at least one day's pay to engage in a legal battle he is unlikely to win and even if he does prevail, will potentially never receive remuneration?

I guess that's an easy thing to do when it's not your money.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:14   #24

Boat: Krogen 42

Pay by credit card, move the boat then dispute the charge
Old 06-03-2019, 08:55   #25

How "small" was" the bit" of damage you repaired, Over 2-3 hours?
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:58   #26

Boat: Flolodge

Agreed. It is hard to be able to work on your own boat in yards. Yards only want insured contractors and sub-contractors working on their grounds due to liability reasons. I understand to some degree, but many take it too far.
Suzan - boattransportpros.com
burntheships is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:02   #27

Thank you Baba Buoy!!! We were just getting ready to call the Windward Yacht in Marina Del Rey because we need a place to haul out our boat. After hearing your story, we will steer clear of this type of place any time we can. I hate to talk about California so much but the most crooked marinas and yacht brokers in the world all live in California. Can't wait to get back to the Caribbean. The "Southern Hospitality" of the sea.
Captainricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:11   #28

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Buoy View Post
1. Bad Yelp review, 2. pay up and lesson learned, 3. not go there again
is the plan.

This yard is in MDR, California.

They have a yard wide drainage sump with clarifier to take care of toxic debris. They charge an "environmental fee" if you do paint yourself.

The last couple times in boatyards I was able to DIY no problem.

Thank you for your replies, had to vent somewhere.

Hey Baba. Tell Chris that you left the question here and you do yelp. Since I am only two boats away from you you can let him know that a lot of boaters in MDR read this forum and he might want to reconsider or negotiate the charge. I had an issue at Windward last time I was there also. I don't know if he will care because he doesn't have much competition ( I went to Redondo last time and it wasn't any better) I personally am planning to go to Baja Naval next time. The prices aren't a lot less but the do it for the price they quote, not double like most yards around here.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:16   #29

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
My neighbors were in a 10-month wait/brush-off with a RV shop doing warranty work on an almost-new RV. It took less than a week after their poor review online for the shop to call them and make arrangements for the work to be completed. They were asked to change the review after the work was completed.
A very good example of what a bad review can do for you. As previously stated, discuss your displeasure about the added charges, ideally with the owner, and mention the promise of very bad reviews if the situation isn’t rectified. But be polite. Business owners don’t like people saying bad things about the business.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:25   #30

Boat: Rival Sailing Yacht 34ft

Here in Cornwall I am in a boatyard where you can do anything yourself.Spray paint your boat, take out engines etc.Cost per month is £70. I will stay away from US boat yards when on my trips abroad.
Terry107 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat