Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2017, 11:00   #121

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR
Re: Best country to flag

When you check in in the Seychelles the maritime authorities will take your speargun off your boat and keep it for safe keeping until you check out the country as they are banned in the country. On leaving it will be given back to you with instructions not to use it anywhere until out of their waters.
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 11:47   #122
RPZ

Re: spear guns and the Caymans

https://www.caymancompass.com/2015/1...ay-be-changed/
RPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 11:49   #123

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

So don't import them. If they stay on your boat you are not importing them.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 11:53   #124
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
Well, "on your boat is not importing them" might be a subjective issue. Best to actually contact the Cayman authorities well in advance.

The article indicates they are, or might amend existing laws, all the more reason to find out in advance.
Old 29-01-2017, 16:21   #125

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Lots of people pontificating on the laws of countries they have never visited.

There is only one correct answer - if you carry firearms, spearguns, flare guns or ANYTHING that may classed as an "offensive weapon" to another country, check with the authorities before leaving for that country.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 16:29   #126

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
More dangerously bad advice.

Once you have been granted a customs clearance for you and your boat, you have temporarily imported anything on the boat (unless it has been declared and the authorities have agreed to you retaining the item in a SEALED container. Whether you can do this will depend on the item and the country.) Failure to declare any prohibitted item when seeking a customs clearance is invariably an offence.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 16:33   #127
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Lots of people pontificating on the laws of countries they have never visited.

There is only one correct answer - if you carry firearms, spearguns, flare guns or ANYTHING that may classed as an "offensive weapon" to another country, check with the authorities before leaving for that country.
No one is pontificating. I have stated fact where I know - based on credible sources. Or stated otherwise.

Some people are not reading, or comprehending plain English.
Old 30-01-2017, 03:12   #128

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

I don't think spear guns are banned in the Caribbean on the basis of being deadly weapons, their use is banned out of environmental concerns. I see local people walking around spear guns all the time. The Caymans seem anxious to limit reef decline, not murders.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 05:36   #129
RPZ

Quote:
I don't think spear guns are banned in the Caribbean on the basis of being deadly weapons, their use is banned out of environmental concerns. I see local people walking around spear guns all the time. The Caymans seem anxious to limit reef decline, not murders.
That would appear to be the case.
Old 30-01-2017, 07:10   #130

Boat: Hanse 430e

Is it just me or does anyone else think that all of Helise's posts, including all of her posts in other threads are attempts to elicit business for Langkawi International Yacht Registry (LIYR)? Both veiled attempts and not so veiled bragging about meeting certain Malaysian government officials and name dropping in order to appear grander than one may be.

Just Saying!
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 07:40   #131
RPZ

I don't think so; she spends too much time hurling insults at her potentially biggest market. That's hardly the best way to encourage people to register their boat s in her Yacht Heaven.
Old 30-01-2017, 13:16   #132
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPZ View Post
Helise,

Me arrogant? I'll leave that one alone.

British Virgin Islands now treats flare guns like shotguns - prohibited.
Mr.RPZ,

Very arrogant American and a great joker!

How many time have you been to Tortula, BVI and Cayman Islands by your own boat? I believed, none!

BVI never prohibited flare guns, hand flare, smoke signal and/or parachutes signal flares. It was all part of the life-saving apparatus on-board. On your ETA, Master needs to informed the authorities that you have those on-board including fire arms, if any.

Cayman Islands is NOT banning the spearfishing equipment. Please read the article properly "banning the importation of spear gun parts and the granting of new spearfishing licenses could be changed". You can have them on-board at any times, without problem. Those laws are for the importer and unauthorized use of the equipment. Visiting yacht and ship are exempted but need to declare on arrival to the authorities.

We have all those equipment on-board our two (2) super yachts Langkawi Registered in BVI and USVI waters right now. Safe and sound without any problems for the last five (5) years, at-least. True declaration is a MUST, it goes with your cigarettes and liquor on-board. If not they will take them off your boat or keep it in a safe, sealed and locked place on-board and/or keep it for safe keeping until you check out/departure from the country.

Please do not confused others and/or giving a false advised, its bad and dangerous!

Back to OP: Best country to flag.

Langkawi, Malaysia. Contact details given, that the best I can help!.

helise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 13:23   #133
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by helise View Post
Mr.RPZ,

Very arrogant American and a great joker!

How many time have you been to Tortula, BVI and Cayman Islands by your own boat? I believed, none!

BVI never prohibited flare guns, hand flare, smoke signal and/or parachutes signal flares. It was all part of the life-saving apparatus on-board. On your ETA, Master needs to informed the authorities that you have those on-board including fire arms, if any.

Cayman Islands is NOT banning the spearfishing equipment. Please read the article properly "banning the importation of spear gun parts and the granting of new spearfishing licenses could be changed". You can have them on-board at any times, without problem. Those laws are for the importer and unauthorized use of the equipment. Visiting yacht and ship are exempted but need to declare on arrival to the authorities.

We have all those equipment on-board our two (2) super yachts Langkawi Registered in BVI and USVI waters right now. Safe and sound without any problems for the last five (5) years, at-least. True declaration is a MUST, it goes with your cigarettes and liquor on-board. If not they will take them off your boat or keep it in a safe, sealed and locked place on-board and/or keep it for safe keeping until you check out/departure from the country.

Please do not confused others and/or giving a false advised, its bad and dangerous!

Back to OP: Best country to flag.

Langkawi, Malaysia. Contact details given, that the best I can help!.

Perhaps you should read BVI news and see what the Royal Virgin Island police have to say about changes in the law regarding flare guns. The definitions provided cover any other device that propels any kind of projectile whatsoever. Even paintball guns.

And my points have been, in essence, beware because what you think you do not have to declare in some places is not the same. Some places spear guns, some places flare guns.

In these places an undeclared item such as these can land you in prison.
Old 30-01-2017, 16:16   #134
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPZ View Post
Perhaps you should read BVI news and see what the Royal Virgin Island police have to say about changes in the law regarding flare guns. The definitions provided cover any other device that propels any kind of projectile whatsoever. Even paintball guns.

And my points have been, in essence, beware because what you think you do not have to declare in some places is not the same. Some places spear guns, some places flare guns.

In these places an undeclared item such as these can land you in prison.
RPZ,

You are confusing others with your funny jokes!

Now talking about BVI News, I'm at St.Croix, USVI at present and just contacted Lt.Ambrose of Tortula Police Department and don't hears any RVI Police have to say about changes in the law regarding flare guns. Fire arms are yes! They have new rule regarding bringing a fire arms into BVI.

You are a great funny guy, good place to be in circus! High seas, not have to declare, American Court, American jurisdiction, and etc......etc.......

Wasting time! rather talking to my horses and dogs, much better.....

Hello Dogscout!

Sorry, I'm not in the registering biz but as an Owner and chartering. We have few super and mega yachts Langkawi registered for the last nearly twelve years.

Thanks & Cheers......
helise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 17:36   #135
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by helise View Post
RPZ,

You are confusing others with your funny jokes!

Now talking about BVI News, I'm at St.Croix, USVI at present and just contacted Lt.Ambrose of Tortula Police Department and don't hears any RVI Police have to say about changes in the law regarding flare guns. Fire arms are yes! They have new rule regarding bringing a fire arms into BVI.

You are a great funny guy, good place to be in circus! High seas, not have to declare, American Court, American jurisdiction, and etc......etc.......

Wasting time! rather talking to my horses and dogs, much better.....

Hello Dogscout!

Sorry, I'm not in the registering biz but as an Owner and chartering. We have few super and mega yachts Langkawi registered for the last nearly twelve years.

Thanks & Cheers......
Go to bvinews.com

Search words firearms paintball. You'll find it. When you've read it call em back.

Hey, you've got some cheap real estate to rent there. Less than 25 U.S. cents per square foot in that Tower. I might move there after all.