Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2019, 11:02   #121

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Being more positive on CF

Another fact of life especially when trying to get advice from old men is that you must remember they are very set in their ways and if they are sailors or farmers even more so.

When I was a child, the school bus passed by where a few of the newly retired old men hung out. They'd all get in one car and talk facing the highway and railroad tracks "downtown.". Each still wore their work clothes.

Unfortunately the good times didn't last. It was reported at the dinner table (listening to parents talk) that the most of the old men stopped going to meet up and several would never speak to each other again so opinionated were they
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 14:40   #122

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Another fact of life especially when trying to get advice from old men is that you must remember they are very set in their ways and if they are sailors or farmers even more so.

When I was a child, the school bus passed by where a few of the newly retired old men hung out. They'd all get in one car and talk facing the highway and railroad tracks "downtown.". Each still wore their work clothes.

Unfortunately the good times didn't last. It was reported at the dinner table (listening to parents talk) that the most of the old men stopped going to meet up and several would never speak to each other again so opinionated were they
Now here the other day I was going down the highway in my van when a young bloke back in the trailing line of vehicles (I like to poke along about 85 to 90 k/hr and the limit is 100 k/hr) started sounding off on the CB about the delay.

I responded with:

"There was a time not long ago when I too impatiently fumed and cursed about the silly old bastard in the van up front. Now I am the silly old man in the van up front. Shut up and wait for the passing lane you young lout."

Now I don't take this as being a grumpy old man. I consider it as passing on the wisdom of long experience to callow ignorant youth.
RaymondR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 14:55   #123

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Now here the other day I was going down the highway in my van when a young bloke back in the trailing line of vehicles (I like to poke along about 85 to 90 k/hr and the limit is 100 k/hr) started sounding off on the CB about the delay.

I responded with:

"There was a time not long ago when I too impatiently fumed and cursed about the silly old bastard in the van up front. Now I am the silly old man in the van up front. Shut up and wait for the passing lane you young lout."

Now I don't take this as being a grumpy old man. I consider it as passing on the wisdom of long experience to callow ignorant youth.
Good luck with that!

Btw nice that you folks are still using CB's!

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 16:05   #124

Quote:
I like to poke along about 85 to 90 k/hr and the limit is 100 k/hr
On purpose, right?

No wonder millenials hate us...
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 18:56   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
On purpose, right?

No wonder millenials hate us...
I have a boat which averages about 5 knots, a push bike which probably averages about 10 mph and I drive my van for a bit of a change from marine and urban life. I am comfortable at that speed and at 75 have a hide about an inch thick. Also as an oil driller I worked like a dog to put the fuel in their tanks so bugger them, they can wait on me.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:22   #126

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Quote:

I responded with:

Speaking as someone who has retired, perhaps you might like to reflect on the antisocial, selfish nature of your behaviour and your likely contribution to deaths on the road as people lose patience and are forced to take risks.

Maybe it is not too much of a mental stretch to remember that even you once had a job to do and a deadline to meet.

Now, if you had said you pulled over every now and again to let others pass I would have taken a different view.

In the meantime, well done for demonstrating that ignorance can rise in direct proportion to age.

For my part, I am here to learn from others about sailing and appreciate having the benefit of their experience. To reduce my ignorance.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:36   #127

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alita49DS View Post
Speaking as someone who has retired, perhaps you might like to reflect on the antisocial, selfish nature of your behaviour and your likely contribution to deaths on the road as people lose patience and are forced to take risks.
You are joking aren't you he reports that he was doing 90 in a 100 kph zone. There is a reason why they call speeding yoofs 'mobile organ donors'.

It might be boring to be travelling at 90kph, but you stand a good chance of arriving in one piece, not completely stressed out and exhausted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Ok cool, now I have a label, GOM I am
You mean you don't have one of these? suggest you buy several in different colours. No need to wash them, the aroma is all part of the image.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grumpy-Old-.../dp/B01B88K3YK

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:53   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

You mean you don't have one of these? suggest you buy several in different colours. No need to wash them, the aroma is all part of the image.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grumpy-Old-.../dp/B01B88K3YK

Pete
CF should be selling them, they would make a mint if every GOM here bought one lol.....

I had a GOG bought for me similar to this, it's worn out so about time to get another

https://www.amazon.co.uk/vectorbomb-...69P21RRG5&th=1

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:58   #129

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Surely with such a nice forum, members will prefer to fly the forum flag:

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Cruisers Forum Burgee

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	burgee_detail.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	195356  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:38   #130

Quote:

Maybe it is not too much of a mental stretch to remember that even you once had a job to do and a deadline to meet.

Now, if you had said you pulled over every now and again to let others pass I would have taken a different view.

In the meantime, well done for demonstrating that ignorance can rise in direct proportion to age.

For my part, I am here to learn from others about sailing and appreciate having the benefit of their experience. To reduce my ignorance.
Driving safely is not antisocial, or selfish and I am probably substantially increasing the safety of other road users by slowing many of the reckless beggars down. 10 to 15 kilometres per hour below the speed limit is not considered unreasonably slow or obstructive on Australian highways and gives me a margin below the limit which ensures I don't exceed it. It's probably close to 30 years ago since I got a speeding ticket.

Being a reasonably prudent person and very conscious of other peoples rights I would not schedule any appointment or journey based upon being able to drive the speed limit all the way. Most people speed because they enjoy going fast or are impatient.

I do drive very courteously and stay left (we drive on the left side of the road in Australia) as much as possible and many of our highways have passing lanes where I slow down to allow the followers the opportunity to get past before it goes back to single lane.

I also don't push my boat beyond it's limits or strain the gear trying to get the last decimal of a knot out of it, let out as much chain as required to achieve a high scope when there's room, pull my anchor in with full revs astern, am fanatical about hull integrity and listen to a weather report every day when cruising.

I don't know how old you are mate, but if you are not getting to senior citizen age yet you appear to be making an early start on the ignorance-with-aging thing. I would consider making unwarranted derogatory assumptions about other folks I know nothing about as the height of ignorance.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:12   #131
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Being more positive on CF

Quote:

In that case stop tailgating other members and flahing your lights at them and try some constructive posts about sailing for a change..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:09   #132
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

“Ocean cruising: a study of affirmative deviance” ~ PhD Thesis by James Macbeth
Abstract ➥ https://researchrepository.murdoch.e...id/eprint/172/
Whole Thesis ➥ https://researchrepository.murdoch.e.../3/02Whole.pdf

The thesis first presents an ethnography of the lifstyle of cruising with particular attention to:
(1) what activities constitute the lifestyle,
(2) why people cruise, and
(3) what values, attitudes, and characteristics attach to the participants.
Second, the thesis relates this ethnography to several theories in sociology and psychology.
The thesis concludes that cruisers, as cultural 'heroes', can be seen as affirmative deviants. That is to say, given an humanistic and western individualistic value system their deviance can be seen as contributing to their individual health and growth, and to positive social evolution.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:23   #133

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:

Wow, talk about being anti-social .

It’s a maximum speed limit for a reason, not a minimum, a maximum. Some jurisdictions do have minimums. The one I’m aware of (in Quebec) lists 100 km max and 60 km min.

So, 10 to 15 km below is not obscenely or dangerously slow. The danger comes in the erratic, aggressive, tail gaters types who always seem late for everything.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:28   #134
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
[B][I]
The thesis concludes that cruisers, as cultural 'heroes', can be seen as affirmative deviants.
So a pirate, but a nice happy pirate that brings about positive social change?
Old 05-07-2019, 07:07   #135
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
So a pirate, but a nice happy pirate that brings about positive social change?
Not really, but perhaps, in the sense of Jimmy Buffet’s first stanza:
"A Pirate Looks At Forty"
“Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call
Wanted to sail upon your waters
Since I was three feet tall
You've seen it all, you've seen it all ...”
I recommend reading the thesis.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote