Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2019, 06:44   #61

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Being more positive on CF

I dunno about the tomboy label — I don’t seem to hear it much anymore. Seems very — young? There are a few women who are engaged in this boating life, but definitely the minority. Might be the gentle, but still very real, sexism that exists. Or maybe this is an effect of not having many women around. In either chicken/egg situation, it is true there are fewer women fully, or perhaps I should say equally, engaged in this cruising life.

In my nearly 20 years in the big boating life (time sure flies ) I’ve can probably count the number of unhelpful “real” boaters on one hand. Contrast this to the dozens I’ve seen here online and it’s clear the virtual cruising world is a poor reflection of the real world.

I’ve now shifted home port four times, and in each place I’ve found a strong, supportive community of boaters. Sure, there are local politics. That’s the case in any community. I just say hi to everyone, and help where I can.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:29   #62

As someone who is only on year 1 of 4 towards actual sailboat ownership, I think the forum has been pretty useful and I appreciate the comments that I've received. It is a difficult thing looking at the depth of sailing knowledge available and trying to understand what applies to me, without my own understanding to sift through the details.

More generally, I am struggling with the jump from daysail to cruiser; I've taken my 101 and 103 classes and we sail regularly on a Colgate 26, but experience maintaining the systems and equipment on a larger boat seems hard to acquire. It's almost as if the first boat purchase is a 'project boat', except the project is me - 12V electrical system? engine maintenance? watermaker? standing and running rigging maintenance? the list goes on...
Zhent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:39   #63

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhent View Post
As someone who is only on year 1 of 4 towards actual sailboat ownership, I think the forum has been pretty useful and I appreciate the comments that I've received. It is a difficult thing looking at the depth of sailing knowledge available and trying to understand what applies to me, without my own understanding to sift through the details.

More generally, I am struggling with the jump from daysail to cruiser; I've taken my 101 and 103 classes and we sail regularly on a Colgate 26, but experience maintaining the systems and equipment on a larger boat seems hard to acquire. It's almost as if the first boat purchase is a 'project boat', except the project is me - 12V electrical system? engine maintenance? watermaker? standing and running rigging maintenance? the list goes on...
Hey, we ALL started at zero somewhere. And it all seemed daunting to everyone here at first. When I went from a Capri (only a mainsail) to a Victory (with a jib) I was terrified... (what am I going to do with that other sail in front?) But that was last week so I am fine now.
A lot of this stuff is better learnt by doing, by just jumping in a making a few non-life-threatening mistakes and seeking out some mentoring from the folks with the nicely kept older boats, they've probably have been at it a while and have made plenty of mistakes that you can learn from without making 'em yerself.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:30   #64
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Being more positive on CF

Quote:

Its daunting to me and I've been sailing for years..
I started pre GPS so relied on compass, chart and dead reckoning, today I get on a delivery and am expected to know about B&G, Raymarine etc's latest toys, watermakers et al.. thats before the different engines and gennerators.
Your not exclusive but, with a users/maintanance manual and common sense you can work your way through most things and if your stuck just fall back on KISS sailing..
You'll get there..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'Useful Idiots' of the West still pay for war in the hope it triggers the 'Rapture'.. LMAO.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:44   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I’m going to get into trouble probably by saying this, but instead of paying for more sailing classes, how about monitoring a Diesel class at the local VoTec school, or maybe a class by mail, same for refrigeration, or electrical, whatever you think your weak on.

Now I’ve not really met all that many sailing instructors etc., but the guy we hired to help us deliver the boat knew about absolutely nothing about engines and the systems on the boat etc.

However the average VoTec instructor would smile at their simplicity.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:42   #66

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:

I actually did a sort of project boat thing for my first monohull even though it was maybe my 12th boat and 5th sailboat if you include my dinghy sailboat.

While replacing the old diesels and gear boxes, I learned a lot which included replacing the stuffing box packing, engine alignment, and getting a diesel engine started on the hard after in hadn't been run in 5 years which was quite enjoyable

Then after the ancient diesels failed I installed a new outboard and bracket, and was sailing the boat between replacements. Also did a bottom job before I put the boat in the water since it had been on the hard 5 years basically unattended

My boat's systems are fairly simple, but adding the solar was sort of fun. Being a former electronics tech did come in handy with the solar though
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:47   #67
CLOD

Boat: none

Sailboat systems aren’t really all that complicated. If you are the handy type who has the belief that you can do your own work, well you can. All it takes is spending a little time looking up whatever it is, or buying a book.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:56   #68

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

One of the things I've noticed - not just here, but in life in general:

Scenario:
A newbie asks a question that old, ahem, more seasoned sailors have heard
3000 times this year. 15 people write sarcastic answers about how they've
heard this 3000 times this year. 6 tell them to do a search before posting
such a frequent question. Ann T Cate then kindly tells them exactly how to do that.

OK the newbie feels like a jackass, hates us all and signs off. Or goes and does his search and finds the answers are all from 2012 and maybe don't apply and still signs off.

Nothing has been accomplished, except the old, ahem more seasoned sailors feel smug and the newbie feels unwelcome.

Scenario:
A newbie asks a question that although is often asked, might actually endanger his and others' lives. 15 people write sarcastic answers about how they've heard this 3000 times this year. 6 state it's a life threatening proposition and no way, grow up. Between 1 and 10 people actually take the time to give a detailed answer why this is dangerous (for the 3000 time this year). Newbie listens and wises up or resents and wises off.

Mix this up with the usual suspects who somehow get an ego boost from non helpful answers and that's what I see about 3000 times a year.

I say this because I was chewed up and spit out with one of my first posts and almost shut it down. But my need to know was greater than my thin skin, so I made sure I did a search and that my questions were realistic before I posted the next time. I've received way more help than harm here. I just refused to go away.
Old 03-07-2019, 13:15   #69

Good observations Red. I’m often bemused by the “go search” responses. While it’s true there is a ton of good information here, the fact is this is not a database, nor a library. This is a discussion forum. People come here to ‘discuss’ topics.

While it’s certainly true some questions involve a simple factual answer, the vast majority of topics come shaded with grey. And besides, as Red says, an answer from a few years ago may no longer be relevant.

For those who seem annoyed by these kinds of questions, just move on. Little is gained by telling someone to go search. If you must, just point them to resources (as Gord, Ann, Jim, etc. often do).
Old 03-07-2019, 13:24   #70
CLOD

Sometimes newbies are suggested to do a search because that will help much faster than a new thread that will take 1-2 weeks to get the same result.

Of course there are “experts” that like to look like “experts” and who will type out all the same answers. Even if some of us remember the “expert” asking the same question “back when”.

I’m not expert in anything, but I may know the answer. Yet I’m not going to type it again for a common question asked over and over each month.

And personally unless it involves “crowd sourcing” I’m more likely to google search than post a new thread. Lots of times the google search gives a cf thread. I read that/those and other search results and am done quickly. No need to wait and search through the replies for a week or so.

So it all how you look at it.
Old 03-07-2019, 13:41   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
...I’m not expert in anything, but I may know the answer. Yet I’m not going to type it again for a common question asked over and over each month. ….
Exactly. So if you don’t have the time/desire to give the answer, just move on. No one compels anyone to respond to anything. A good natured suggestion to search more relevant sources can be useful. Unfortunately, it often comes across as rather snarky (whether intended or not). Provide some useful links if you must. Otherwise silence will speak volumes to the uninformed poster.
Old 03-07-2019, 13:47   #72

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
=Mike OReilly; Otherwise silence will speak volumes to the uninformed poster.

Oh really? I thought it was because my question was obtuse.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 13:50   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I'm one of those people who learn all there is to know about what it is that I have. Conversely, I never really pay much attention to what I don't have, and as such there are huge gaps in my knowledge. For example, I know little about the different sail types and shapes and stick to what I have. It's a time constraint laziness and based on the fact that what I have works for me and well. I do have an occupation that requires a lot of attention and I travel a lot.

I can ask any one of the mods for advice without feeling a dumb bottom. There are several of my boating colleagues on Cf membership that I can ask as well. Im grateful for comments from experienced sailors like Boatie who are honest that technology brings challenges... it brings the CFers together to help.

Dockhead has been my go-to advisor. He has vast experience and lives on his boat plus reads a lot and experiments with different boatie things in storm conditions. He doesn't set out to find a storm, it just is the nature of sailing..

Cf members have saved me thousands. I have tried to repay with factual information when asked by others.

Overall, if you need an answer, CF can supply it.. but check with others first to see if the answer will solve the issue.,

As a forum, its about the best for yachting. That's just my opinion. Check with others...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 13:51   #74
CLOD

You see Mike you suggest telling someone the answer to their question plus is quickly available if they search is “snarky”.

I consider it helpful to get the person asking the answer quickly.

I guess the snarky view would be that you really only wanted an answer if it is posted to your question (it’s about me) Meanwhile the search suggestion was thinking the person asking just wanted the answer.
Old 03-07-2019, 14:09   #75
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

"PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER".

Groucho Marks