Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2019, 06:14   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Being more positive on CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrailleur View Post
interesting post... why not asking the mods to differentiate the real cruisers from the armchair type (I'm shamelessly one of the latter definition)…. a color star or sign before or after the name of the real cruisers would clarify the difference.... of course after verification by the mods that the real cruisers are really REAL!!
Your suggestion is acceptable. The 4 man Mod inspection team will arrive with you at 9am Saturday. Please arrange on a large table your up to date paper chart portfolio, log books and published journals. After a light lunch we will survey your vessel(s) in preparation for sailing exams on Sunday. Overnight hotel accommodation will be acceptable. The Sunday practical sailing exams should last between 8 - 12 hours. You will need to arrange a variety of weather to demonstrate your ability to fly and control a spinnaker single handed followed by rigging a tri sail in a minimum of F7.

We look forward to meeting you

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:25   #47
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidice View Post
Good luck (if you see this!) You should know, I’ve been blocked by classier people than you!
Being on ignore (blocked) only really works if using the CF app, in which case the person no longer exists. If using the webpage ignored people show up in the thread but don't display what they posted. But it has this clickbait "view post" thing that sucks you in to ruin your day. Afterward you will wish real life worked as well as the app.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:27   #48

Boat: Rafiki 37

I don’t have anyone on “ignore”. I just know who to ignore .
Old 02-07-2019, 08:15   #49

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

These days, I have most everyone on ignore.[emoji6]
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:29   #50
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I don’t have anyone on “ignore”. I just know who to ignore .
my personal knowledge and experience suggests you don't
Old 02-07-2019, 08:44   #51

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
my personal knowledge and experience suggests you don't
True … I am still learning.

But wait, are you saying I should ignore this message?? Damn, caught in my own web .
Old 02-07-2019, 09:02   #52
cruiser

Obviously, the guy or gal didn’t get the ignore joke. Hopefully, the Siamese person did.

I did include smiley faces, but........
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:09   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Your suggestion is acceptable. The 4 man Mod inspection team will arrive with you at 9am Saturday. Please arrange on a large table your up to date paper chart portfolio, log books and published journals. After a light lunch we will survey your vessel(s) in preparation for sailing exams on Sunday. Overnight hotel accommodation will be acceptable. The Sunday practical sailing exams should last between 8 - 12 hours. You will need to arrange a variety of weather to demonstrate your ability to fly and control a spinnaker single handed followed by rigging a tri sail in a minimum of F7.

Pete

https://youtu.be/sAn7baRbhx4
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:03   #54

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Pete
I'll be right there with you Pete.... if you need me you can find me down at the beach in one of those armchairs sipping a cool drink... sputtering lots of salty wisdom... let me know when he's done rebuilding the head...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 15:09   #55

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrailleur View Post
interesting post... why not asking the mods to differentiate the real cruisers from the armchair type (I'm shamelessly one of the latter definition)…. a color star or sign before or after the name of the real cruisers would clarify the difference.... of course after verification by the mods that the real cruisers are really REAL!!

That's a great idea!

A gold star might work for some of these "real" positive cruisers. (that never attack newbies)

We used to get those in 1st grade I think.

Or maybe it was in Sunday School for coloring Jesus in red or blue and not going outside the lines.....to much
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 23:50   #56

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

you guys are SO funny! i'm still rolling... we should have a party!

my two cents:

as a future-yet-very-determined-cruising girl, i've gotten to know the way some folks here spin their words.

humour doesn't convey well in the written, so one has to trust a bit, adopt a live-and-let-live attitude and listen carefully... this is not to say the i've never been thrown, of course, but it has taught me to get back up on my horse

this approach has made my experience here truly fantastic. i've really learned so much and really appreciate being able to ask questions in English and get responses in English (how i love this language!). i've found such great support here and thank everyone!

so... this might sound a bit harsh... but, to me, if a newbie gets shaken, it is because that person has simply not lurked enough.

that said, i think i can shed light on why some newbies experience so much frustration:

it is because it is not that easy to find a mentor

---and, if i dare throw a curve ball into this thread --- this is especially true for girls who want to keep their pants on. sorry guys and, when she can keep her pants on, the jealous wife drives her off! --- there is nothing more threatening to the wife than a female-sailor who is crazy-nuts about boats)

wolfgal
Old 03-07-2019, 00:29   #57

Boat: Volkscruiser

foxylady its a shame this is really a male dominated lifestyle. Some guys just cannot help there bad behaviour. Tina and I witnessed that on a number off occasions and could understand why some guys were never going to find a sailor partner.

I love having woman around and if we could get the male/female ratio more even this lifestyle would be even better.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:35   #58

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
foxylady its a shame this is really a male dominated lifestyle. Some guys just cannot help there bad behaviour. Tina and I witnessed that on a number off occasions and could understand why some guys were never going to find a sailor partner.

I love having woman around and if we could get the male/female ratio more even this lifestyle would be even better.
Cheers
yes, it would be nice to have more women out there...

but, you know, i don't think even numbers is likely to happen. i've met so many women who cannot imagine why on earth i'd ever want to give up a patch of land with a dwelling on it for living/roaming on a boat. even female sailors, who enjoy sailing as a sport, have given me that "are you serious? why would you want to do that?" look.
i do not know (and at the risk of making a statement that sounds like a generalisation...): my feeling is that, among those females who are the ones who are the driving force toward boat-living in their couple (because these definitely exist) and those who get their own boats because that's what they want to do, IMHO, a huge percentage of these are tomboys.

these, for me, are the same ones that might learn to fly airplanes, trek around foreign lands with a backpack and/or create an outdoor cycling adventure program for youth... they are the ones who may enjoy camping out and motorcycling across amazing landscapes. these are the ones that will probably jump into the water first, before everyone else has the courage.

Or not..., because there are those tomboys who dream of adventure while they work, clean house and prepare good meals for their families (these are tangled-up tomboys. this happens.).

all the same, i'm not sure if tomboys make up a huge percentage of the female population. i'd be curious to have this number though.

and of course there are those females who live/cruise on boats very happily with their sailing partners and do enjoy it immensely, but, IMHO, these are those who are living a wonderful couplehood, a trusting and strong relationship. and if a person has that, she/he has a whole lot no matter where one is.

Back to the subject: being more positive on-line...

it is definitely not easy for someone who is on the outside of the sailing world to get inside. many, many really want to find a mentor, to learn hands-on.

many are willing to help switch out the batteries, clean the bilge, rebed toerails, hang upside down in the lazaret to fix an autopilot... anti-foul, varnish...

many want to see how a passage is planned, what instruments to use and how

many want to learn about the cloud formations and the way the wind makes signatures on the water, storms

many want to splice and practice knots and learn their uses, learn sail repair

and this is just the beginning. sailing, cruising is so multi-faceted. it is endless.

and we know there are great books out there and great youtube videos out there, but, when it comes to learning, a bit of real human interaction can really make a huge difference for some.

someone earlier posted out how the problem is that cruisers LIVE in their boats too. this a personal space, not a training room. maybe it would be good to spell this out for newbies when they pop in.

it might also be good to make posts in which the cruiser/experienced boat owner can ask for help with an odd jobs locally. some might travel to and find airbnb and pay their own food in exchange for a bit of hands-on learning experience (i've done it).

As Ken said earlier, out there, in the real, the sailing world locally is a happy and helpful place. bridging the gap between non-local and local isn't easy but perhaps it is an idea to consider.

wolfgal
Old 03-07-2019, 05:23   #59
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
out there, in the real, the sailing world locally is a happy and helpful place.
It is, but not to the extent it gets posted/written about in my experience. It is mostly a helpful place if you are outgoing friendly type of person. If you stay long enough in a place you find out it is a very divided community, normally with a Queen Bee and her "followers".

Now this is my experience so it could be me.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:05   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
i do not know (and at the risk of making a statement that sounds like a generalisation...): my feeling is that, among those females who are the ones who are the driving force toward boat-living in their couple (because these definitely exist) and those who get their own boats because that's what they want to do, IMHO, a huge percentage of these are tomboys.

There are definitely some tomboys, but the female boat-owners I am most familiar with at our club are ladies at or near retirement, and the one characteristic they share is confidence. They're very comfortable with their single status (which is not to say that they don't date... though one seems rather happy to avoid "all that stuff", at which point she rolls her eyes. ) They're not afraid to grapple with the practical aspects and chores of boat ownership. One is now a full-time liveaboard, and one, just retired, is gearing up to take her boat south and leave it there as her winter retreat.

(I am blessed with a life partner who was enthusiastic about getting the boat, taken lessons by herself, and is now a competent and happy sailor and co-conspirator)
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote