Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2020, 09:58   #16

Boat: MacGregor 26S
Re: addressing the West Coast sailors in Canada

thanks to all pitching in, foothillsailor - very relevant observations, I visited Vancouver number of times in different seasons (mostly to ski) I'm familiar with its climatic peculiarities, once met a guy who moved from Ontario and told me he became suicidal after 90 days of raining .
I'm too old for spontaneous decisions, selling of the house is in the offing for some time and only partially connected to my sailing plans. If I move to BC it would be only temporarily. I have EU passport as well so sailing there in the end is an option too.

I'm in touch with CooperSailing and Advanced Offshore program is becoming a very strong candidate, Colin man is very responsive and forthcoming, on my part I'm a bit lost in the alphabetical mishmash of CYA/ISPA/CPS/ASA/US Sailing/RYA/IYT etc. , to me it has always been always about practical sailing not a sailing licence, but I understand the need for additional (quite extensive) now-how if I want to leave fresh waters.
They support the course with a theoretical on line support, on top of it I bought a multi-faceted course from Nauticed following positive reviews.
Looking forward to learn more.
Happier 2021 then 2020 Year to you all!
kazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 10:15   #17

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

As mentioned in an earlier post I was happy with a Cooper's CYA Advanced Course about 18 years ago. They persist so they must be doing something right. In my earlier post, I neglected to mention "Simply Sailing" Simply Sailing School: Sailing Lessons Vancouver, BC - Simply Sailing School: Sailing Lessons in Vancouver, BC

Their website indicates that they are doing several offshore relevant courses of varying duration in addition to "customized" courses.

My wife has taken several courses through them (rather than have me yell at her), including from a well known female local mostly solo circumnavigator (her husband stepped off the boat part way through the adventure because it wasn't to his liking so she continued solo). Their customer service ethic is exemplary and the instructors are excellent. I learned a few things vicariously.

Regarding winter in Ontario vs BC's south coast, the following two pics of the first mate are in Waterloo in early February 2014 and St of Georgia on Jan 1, 2018 after we moved back to BC (we also didn't sell the house in BC when we moved to Waterloo!). The first mate is pretty clear regarding where she would prefer to live.

Old 31-12-2020, 10:47   #18

Boat: MacGregor 26S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon1150 View Post
As mentioned in an earlier post I was happy with a Cooper's CYA Advanced Course about 18 years ago. They persist so they must be doing something right. In my earlier post, I neglected to mention "Simply Sailing" Simply Sailing School: Sailing Lessons Vancouver, BC - Simply Sailing School: Sailing Lessons in Vancouver, BC
Reached out to them several days ago, but no response so far...
kazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 14:12   #19

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazo View Post
Reached out to them several days ago, but no response so far...
Most of these places are small family run operations. I wouldn't be surprised if they've taken the holidays off since its their slow (almost non-existant) season.

Tags
Canada, sail, west coast