Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13-01-2012, 10:28   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
A 1000 Thanks !

Thanks for letting me be part of the “community”.

A 1000 posts ago (about a year ago) I joined this, and a few other, sailing forums. This is the only one I visit regularly, and that is largely due to the quality of posters that contribute.

No question I or others have posted was deemed as too stupid; everyone didn't always agree (think anchor or gun threads), but there was a lot of informed opinion given, sometimes even rather vociferously.

Moderators have been patient with me and others; there have been a few of my postings “cancelled” by moderators and virtually every time I was informed why, in a very constructive manner.

So what have I, the neo-phyte, learned??

Tons. A lot I wish I was able to put into practise or try myself. A lot of things I assumed were right, but just as many were not, or only partially so.

Without categorizing, I learned informed opinions on:
  • Anchors
  • Rodes
  • Scope
  • Reefing and why
  • Advantages of different sail plans
  • What to be aware of teak decks
  • Learned some of the things to check pre-survey
  • A ton on buying a boat
  • Great discussion on dinks (soft, hard or maybe even kayak)
  • Weather windows
  • Avoid the Gulf Stream during north winds
  • Brokers – a lot of frustrating experiences by many
  • Why buying a Hunter is the best thing since sliced bread
  • Why buying a Hunter is the craziest thing a sailor could do
And so much more.

Then certainly there have been some interesting personalities, and NO one has opinions, right? Best I not single anyone out, but there are a ton of you I'd like to meet in person, and I am sure I will meet some of you.

And thank you for letting me contribute some of my thoughts. On some issues, I actually know what I am talking about (specifically on some mechanical aspects and ecological/conservation issues), on some opinion threads, I would contribute my perspective, and was great to get into some debates with some whose perspective may not be mine.

So, the plan is this year to actually be able to get out there. I'll stick around to ask, read, listen and contribute a bit myself.

Thanks all, this forum and it's contributors is so much appreciated.