Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2014, 13:49   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: $500 v $5000 a month budget - which is best?

I'm sure it has been pointed out that the average US income is around 50 something K per year, so a cruising budget of 60K per year is not that outlandish an idea.
My Father told me something many years ago, he said there is nothing at all wrong with moving into a trailer to live, but it's tough to have to move back into a trailer to live after living in a house.
I'm delaying the start of my dream until I believe it's sustainable at a standard of living my wife will be comfortable with, unless of course something un-planned happens.
Funny thing is, until I started reading this Forum, I never considered that I would ever have enough money to cruise, I thought you had to be Richie Rich so I'm still trying to come to grips that it's possible to cruise on the same money it takes to live in a house on land, I'm still looking for the "gotcha"
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 14:25   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
BTW - when I first got interested in the possibly of cruising as a way to travel I had a fantasy that $1500/mo would be easy living among the local savages. Maybe if I can get some better drugs I can regain that happy belief.
Gee Don, Come join my rainbow unicorn club. The members all dream of having the largess of $1500 a month. I know it looks impossible from your point of view. From mine, it looks easy. Actually that's about what uncle sam will give me via SS (which I paid in a chunk o change over the years). Figure that if I can live on $500-$600 now then $1500 ish, well $1200 after everyone gets their grubby paws on it, will be a piece O cake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RU1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	76892  
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 14:28   #93
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Gee Don, Come join my rainbow unicorn club.
Does it come with the drugs? I just am starting to think maybe the right drugs are the answer.
Old 27-02-2014, 14:32   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Does it come with the drugs? I just am starting to think maybe the right drugs are the answer.
Oddly enough no drugs required. Just need to wear the special rainbow unicorn pin and hat, and your worries are over....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RU1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	76894  
Old 27-02-2014, 15:39   #95

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'm sure it has been pointed out that the average US income is around 50 something K per year, so a cruising budget of 60K per year is not that outlandish an idea.

SNIP
Not understanding how one reaches the 'average US income' if they are cruising instead of working or conversely how one works full time while cruising.

Retirement income is much lower for most folks. Planners claim you should plan to have 2/3 of your working income to retire on, but most folks wind up with around 1/3. Most folks get around $US1,500 in SS; maybe a little more. But that is a far cry from $US50k, less yet $US60k.

Maybe my numbers are off some, but I still don't think lots of folks retire at the $US60k level.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 15:50   #96

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Not understanding how one reaches the 'average US income' if they are cruising instead of working or conversely how one works full time while cruising.

Retirement income is much lower for most folks. Planners claim you should plan to have 2/3 of your working income to retire on, but most folks wind up with around 1/3. Most folks get around $US1,500 in SS; maybe a little more. But that is a far cry from $US50k, less yet $US60k.

Maybe my numbers are off some, but I still don't think lots of folks retire at the $US60k level.

Man, am I glad I married a good "Ant".
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 16:49   #97

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
fowl weather gear
must be where that expression "nice weather for ducks" comes from.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 17:08   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
must be where that expression "nice weather for ducks" comes from.
ouch, well the ducks do seem to like wet weather.
Old 28-02-2014, 06:24   #99

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I can never believe how fast these threads fill up with posts. I appreciate the humor from some. I am currently spending $500 to $2000 a month depending on whether I'm in a slip or at anchor. Depending on what broke. Depending on if my 60 gallon diesel tank is empty or full. Depending on how much I motor (yes...bank on 75% if the time).
Also, don't let anyone tell you Mexico is cheap...it's not. It's warm and that's about it. That said, if you shop carefully, anchored out and never moved as most cruisers end up doing and never drink as most cruisers do, you could do it for $500. That said, you could hike into the back woods with a tent and back pack for $500 @ month. But the joke is on you (wanna-be cruisers). You go out and but a $75,000 boat, dump another $50,000 into it, sail 1200 miles south of the palm tree line, anchor and say..."hey look, I'm a cruiser". Two years later they sell the boat and begin to tell anyone who will listen that has just bought a boat, that a boat is a hole in the water you pour money into. So if you average out the cost of my example, Mr. cruiser probably sells his boat that after paying $75000 for it and adding $50,000, equaling $125,000, will probably get $75,000 if he's lucky. Add the $50,000 loss and the $12,000 he has spent on the hook over 2 years and average it out, he has averaged almost $2600 a month. And the beat goes on...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 06:53   #100

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
SNIP

Depending on if my 60 gallon diesel tank is empty or full. Depending on how much I motor (yes...bank on 75% if the time).

SNIP
Curious about this. I know guys who simply do not have a motor on their boat. Know guys who have had problems with fuel, transmission, battery, or the motor simply would not start.

On my recent eight week trip to the Dry Tortugas I ran my engines dropping and pulling the hook but not so much at other times except when crossing Moser Channel and that was due to the current. I used more gas in the dingy running to diving spots than on the big boat.

On the other hand I know guys who do motor 75% of the time or more.

I would bet those that are in the 75% group are also those who spend $US2k or more a month while those who only motor when backing down the anchor are in the $US500 group.

YMMV
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 07:34   #101
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

Instead of spending $50,000 to refit an already capable boat, you could buy a 50+ foot slip in the nicest Marina in NC in a small town rated number one for sailing by Yachting magazine. Floating docks, 24/7 luxurious clubhouse with showers and sauna, pool, hot tub, kayak rack, great fishing off the dock, gated community... When the family visits you can rent a $400,000 condo for a week overlooking the marina for $1200. Dock owner fees are $200 a month. Total cost $650 per month if you finance. These slips sold for $130 to $180K before the recession. During the summer when it is nice to go to the Cape and anchor out, you can easily rent your slip for $500 per week.

When I was going through my divorce from hell, I anchored out which was essentially free living even though I was refitting my boat on a limited budget. Having to do this caused me to realize that I could quit my six figure stressful dream career and just be a boat bum. Several years later and I still have no desire to return to a regular job with a mortgage, fancy cars, airplanes, fancy restaurants.

I don't know if there is a better deal in the US. When I want to go see an expensive island with scrubby little trees I fly there for a week, much cheaper than $5000 per month cruising. Initially I dreamed of circumnavigating but it is just too much fun to go on several day trips locally and return to the comfort of the marina when I want to- call me a puss if you wish, but I'm not afraid to take a little boat 50 miles out to the gulfstream by myself. Besides, the girlfriend gets terrified when the wind blows over 40 even when the boat is in the slip.

$5000 a month, really why work the best years of your life away saving up to do this? It's too much like prostitution (and this from someone that told himself every day that he loved his job.) With my current expenses, I could work at Wal-Mart two days a week and survive if needed, reminds me of Kevin Spacey in American Beauty ha.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_8784.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	437.7 KB
ID:	76931   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8605 - Copy.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	76932  

Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 08:21   #102

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
$5000 a month, really why work the best years of your life away saving up to do this? It's too much like prostitution (and this from someone that told himself every day that he loved his job.) With my current expenses, I could work at Wal-Mart two days a week and survive if needed, reminds me of Kevin Spacey in American Beauty ha.
This is where my partner and I have come to as well. The one thing money can't buy is time. We're both making decent incomes, but are walking away from the rat race to see if we can sustain a life further outside the norm. In many ways we've been walking away from the path laid out for us for many years now. Stepping onto the boat full-time is just that, another small step.

Perhaps that's the difference between the successful frugal cruiser vs. our straw-man $5,000/monther. Just like few people can quit smoking or drinking cold-turkey, so too with the expectation that one can easily shift from an expensive life to one of frugality. It's been said many times before, but if you live like Richie Rich on land, then it's likely you'll also do so on a boat. The opposite is also true.
Old 28-02-2014, 08:42   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
Having to do this caused me to realize that I could quit my six figure stressful dream career and just be a boat bum. Several years later and I still have no desire to return to a regular job with a mortgage, fancy cars, airplanes, fancy restaurants.
+1 Exactly

Get off the treadmill of the american dream, and after a year, life looks pretty good at $500 a month.
Old 28-02-2014, 09:04   #104

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Rather than owning a boat and dealing with its related expenses, I opted for having 3-4 weeks of vacation per year; luxurious travel accommodations to remote SCUBA diving areas. Eventually, reality will set upon us as we enter our 70's and become less limber. Most of us will need to get back to Terra firma and leave boating behind.

As long as you are in good health, enjoy each day to the max as if it is your last. Life's too short! Have fun until you drop!

Mauritz
Old 28-02-2014, 09:27   #105
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

what the chic sed as we chicks know how to do this and get away with it..is just you guys teaching us we NEED stuff we really dont need.....now, watch closely....
it can take years to re adapt to income fluctuations, err, major drops...lol i went from 90k per annum to less than 25k per annum......within 3 years, as i went from full time permanent employment to workers comp to state disability to full time and permanent disability.....
is a challenge but not terminal....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget