Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2014, 13:46   #121

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: $500 v $5000 a month budget - which is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
Living cheap is time consuming. I lived in a van for a time, not by choice, and between taking showers in a gym vs. an apartment, slower meal prep/cook times, and all the general inefficiencies that come with being poor I easily 'wasted' ten hours per week I could have been working.
This made me chuckle. Talk of "inefficiencies" and "slower meal prep" when it comes to living is just plain funny. Sorry, but I try very hard to live up to my signature line.

Actually, that's wrong. I hardly try at all .
Old 28-02-2014, 13:46   #122

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Hum, 10 hours a week at $10 is $100 a week or $430 dollars pre-tax a month. To take home $900, I would need to make $1100 for taxes and what not That's 25 hours at $10.
I was using the $400 as additive to the $500/month that was the base. In reality, you're right, it takes a lot of time to have a low income, and a lot of fixed costs to have a moderate to high income. Rather than work a little bit each week, it would probably make more sense to just bite off a large chunk all at once: tie up to a dock for a month, get 60 hrs/week in, for four weeks, and take off again. I personally think the RV campers that work in Amazon's fulfillment centers during the Christmas rush have it figured out pretty well

Also, I'm not judging. I put 'wasted' in quotes, because what's considered a waste to some is not to others, depending on what they like doing. I love rowing dinghies, for others it's a chore.

Celestialsailor: you're definitely right. That experience taught me I could live with little. Even now, excluding rent, my monthly expenses are about $400. Keeping low operating leverage is the only way to save, and that's the only way to get ahead!
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 14:01   #123

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I'm not interested in doing a bunch of data sorting for others. And it would be meaningless and discounted by people if it doesn't fit their "plans" (just look at the various threads postings). The numbers themselves are worthless anyway if you don't read though the cruisers blogs to see what the lifestyle they are living on that go with the costs.
For once, we agree. It's the point I've been trying to get across. This quest for the Ultimate Answer is meaningless without context. And given the variability of cruisers' lifestyles, it is very hard to draw any general conclusions based on a few anecdotes. This is why all these $/month threads are either fairly useless, or result in silly "class war" discussions.

I value these discussions when they get into ideas and techniques of how to live frugally. There are lots of great ideas out there. I try to learn from others who have gone before. But this drive to get the TRUE DOLLAR AMOUNT, or worse, the drive to prove that others are wrong, gets tedious and tiring.
Old 28-02-2014, 14:22   #124
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
For once, we agree. It's the point I've been trying to get across. This quest for the Ultimate Answer is meaningless without context.

But this drive to get the TRUE DOLLAR AMOUNT, or worse, the drive to prove that others are wrong, gets tedious and tiring.

I never have said I thought there was an Ultimate Answer or even a True Dollar Amount. All I've asked is how much are people spending and what type of things they are doing so people can make an informed budget for themselves. If you can find enough real info for people on a boat similar to yours doing things similar to your plans, then you can make a reasonable assumption that it will cost you about the same to do it yourself.

And even though I've taken a LOT of flak for saying I didn't believe the $500/mo stuff I have repeatedly said that I had no problem with others giving it try (I do think they are disillusion though and am not afraid to say it). But I have challenged the low cost people for coming up with a long term budget to support their claims as the lowest one I've ever found with details was around $1500/mo (I disregard all statements that go "I cruised for X dollars" that don't have any cost breakdowns so you can't see what they are or what they are not spending their money on) .
Old 28-02-2014, 15:03   #125
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
Rather than work a little bit each week, it would probably make more sense to just bite off a large chunk all at once: tie up to a dock for a month, get 60 hrs/week in, for four weeks, and take off again. I personally think the RV campers that work in Amazon's fulfillment centers during the Christmas rush have it figured out pretty well
Oddly that is my plan, work a month or two and take off 10 months. Or work odd jobs as I go along. Tis good.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 15:16   #126
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I do think they are disillusion though and am not afraid to say it). But I have challenged the low cost people for coming up with a long term budget to support their claims as the lowest one I've ever found with details was around $1500/mo (I disregard all statements that go "I cruised for X dollars" that don't have any cost breakdowns so you can't see what they are or what they are not spending their money on) .
I've been called worst then Disillusioned, But hey, Delusional works for me.

Gee Don, You didn't like my budget numbers from early on this thread?. I did it just for you honey. I'm heart broken.

Really there isn't one correct number. The answer is 42 (of course), or it takes what your use to, or whats you gots. Everyone is different with different wants, desires and must haves.

For me, life happened while I was busy making other plans. So I rolled with it and get by living a not bad life at all, for me. Most I'm sure would find it somewhat primitive. Which is fine. We are all different.
Old 28-02-2014, 15:35   #127

Boat: csy 37
pirate Re: $500 v $5000 a month budget - which is best?

And remember, even if you win the Rat Race, you're still just a Rat.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 16:12   #128
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
And remember, even if you win the Rat Race, you're still just a Rat.

And if you lose it, your still a Rat, a loser Rat
Damned if you do, Damned if you don't
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 16:16   #129
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Some of us have resided not to be rats in a rat race. I'm aiming more for guinea pig, my self.
Old 28-02-2014, 16:16   #130
CLOD

Quote:

Gee Don, You didn't like my budget numbers from early on this thread?. I did it just for you honey. I'm heart broken.

I don't even remember them. I'm sure I didn't like or dislike them as I'm not trying to win other than ensure my numbers work for me. What's your cruising plans this year; Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica, then shoot across the Pacific?

I'm 53 and have a lot of cruising time ahead or me so I can wait another year or so to start in order to reduce the chance it is going to suck and I have to join the "unemployed old engineers" group. (not taking any shots, I don't want to be there and I really doubt that you wanted to)
Old 28-02-2014, 16:28   #131
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I don't even remember them. I'm sure I didn't like or dislike them as I'm not trying to win other than ensure my numbers work for me. What's your cruising plans this year; Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica, then shoot across the Pacific?

I'm 53 and have a lot of cruising time ahead or me so I can wait another year or so to start in order to reduce the chance it is going to suck and I have to join the "unemployed old engineers" group. (not taking any shots, I don't want to be there and I really doubt that you wanted to)
I was going to mexico, but the whole mexico embargo thingy has me pondering. This as my boat does not have a Hin number, having been built before they were required. Costa Rica is getting a bit pricey for the $500 a month cruiser. Still trying to find a free wind vane for the transpac.

Oddly, I've a friend who wants to go cruising. So I'm putzing about Norcal for a bit longer.

Watch out for 55 Don, Medical costs go up for the older worker then. Seems to be the magic age to be laid off now a days. Didn't you have a MCI last year. Don't count time you might not have.
Old 28-02-2014, 16:35   #132

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
I've posted links to others. I only post them as a courtesy to others that may be looking for something to form a budget on other than guesswork and hopes and dreams (no it depends answers etc). The link in post #109 is pretty typical from what I have found in many many blogs that have cost data. By far based on the many blogs with data I have found I feel the "average" cruiser is spending around $3000/mo over the course of years where there is also long term boat maintenance costs accounted for.

I'm not interested in doing a bunch of data sorting for others. And it would be meaningless and discounted by people if it doesn't fit their "plans" (just look at the various threads postings). The numbers themselves are worthless anyway if you don't read though the cruisers blogs to see what the lifestyle they are living on that go with the costs.

I'm pretty confident that for a couple in their 50s+ looking to cruise for years (say at least 5+) that $3000/mo is a good budget that allows reasonable comfort and enjoyment and maintains the boat (and it isn't a high life). I also believe that for a younger couple say in their 30s that are willing to rough it some for a few years and then move on to something else (so they aren't really maintaining their boat) could manage a few years on $1500/mo (I've only found 2-3 blogs that fit this).

People seem to think the $3000/mo is some grand money spending life. But that would put you well below the median US household income (would put you about 40%). In other words $3000/mo IS budget cruising.
Seems to me you have nailed it. For a retired couple in their 50/60's with a 40/45 ft vessel that $3000 month is realisticly close to the mark.

Many will get by on less and others more.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 16:40   #133
CLOD

Quote:
. Didn't you have a MCI last year.
Just an old fashioned heart attack. ............................. From reading CF
Old 28-02-2014, 16:46   #134
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Gee I thought I was just a pain in the posterior. Better take care of yourself.
Old 28-02-2014, 16:56   #135

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Seems to me you have nailed it. For a retired couple in their 50/60's with a 40/45 ft vessel that $3000 month is realisticly close to the mark.

Many will get by on less and others more.

Not sure how old sailorchic34 is, but she does not seem to be a couple. I am also not a couple. Still both of us are much closer to $US500/month than $US3,000/month.

Conventional wisdom is two can live as cheaply as one, it just takes twice as much.

So does it really take six times as much for a couple to cruise as for a single person.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget