Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2021, 17:51   #1

1986 Cape Dory 27 Westerbeke 13

Hello all. Recently started restoration of a 1986 CD 27.3. It has a Westerbeke 13 Engine which has not been started in 10 years. I'm told it "coated" when put away though I doubt that would hold for 10 years. Does anyone know of a guide/steps which would ensure I don't ruin it when I try to restart it? Thank you.
sailing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 21:41   #2

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30
Re: 1986 Cape Dory 27 Westerbeke 13

No idea what "coated" means, but generally when putting an engine to sleep for a long time, you pull the injectors, pour engine oil (or a special preservative oil) into the cylinders, then turn the engine over by hand a few times to distribute the oil over the cylinder walls and piston rings. Then put injectors back in. You would have drained the sump and put in fresh oil of course.

If this was done properly, the engine should turn over by hand. You should pull the injectors and have them checked for proper spray pattern, opening/closing pressure etc. Adjust valve clearances. Drain fuel tank, new fuel, new fuel filters, etc. Check cooling system. For sure replace the rubber impeller in the raw water side of the system. The engine manual should have a list of maintenance items; just do them all. Assuming you have oil pressure and cooling water flow when the engine starts, you're not likely to ruin it.
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 08:17   #3

I meant to say fogged.
sailing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 08:24   #4

Well the fogging could have helped a lot. It's just hard to say. It's mostly a closed system so if it was fogged with something that lasts it may have helped a lot. However, if the muffler was full of old salt water, and that evaporated over time into any open valves, you could have some rusting in there, especially on valve stems etc.
-First I would see if the engine turns. Either do that just tapping the starter or try to turn the crank with the crankshaft nut etc.

-If it turns (they are always hard) I would be tempted to pull the injectors and spray in there with a light oil or WD40 etc. Let it sit a day then try to start it. (If it had sat only 3 years or a bit more I would probably give it a go and see if it runs)
-New fuel filters and fill the filter housings with fresh diesel.

-If it does not turn over readily, then personally I would take the head off and see what the condition really is. A 2 cylinder head removal is probably a half hour job. It's worth knowing the actual situation.

Another thing to think about in any case is the 10 year old diesel. It's probably pretty bad.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 10:06   #5

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing27 View Post
Hello all. Recently started restoration of a 1986 CD 27.3. It has a Westerbeke 13 Engine which has not been started in 10 years. I'm told it "coated" when put away though I doubt that would hold for 10 years. Does anyone know of a guide/steps which would ensure I don't ruin it when I try to restart it? Thank you.
Great both responses.
I'd only add.
Fuel quality in the tank and pull the valve cover and check for rust on the valve train, it's pretty exposed to ambient air and thus moisture and not usually fogged or sprayed prior to lay up.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 13:07   #6

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Would do all mentioned previously, plus acouple questions: any history on the engine given it was run for 25 yrs before put to bed? Number of hours? Most recent, albeit > 10 yrs ago maintenance? Inspect engine intake (air cleaner) any critters living there? Diesels are amazingly simple engines, air + fuel, no ignition, so if she turns over as noted earlier, after replacing filter, fuel, oil, would try and start it…what is battery situation? Old? Would check battery(s) for voltage & if questionable would also load test them (would need instrument). Hope she starts & runs…
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape dory, westerbeke

« Gen | Re: Solar gen »