Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2019, 20:27   #31

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Viable Professions While At Sea

Another cruising story.

Years ago I was anchored in the Duck Pond at Townsville and when going ashore fell into a conversation with a young bloke on a Wharram.

I noticed he ran a genset all day and on passing by commented that he probably needed to invest in more solar panels or new batteries. I was informed that the genset was on his reflux still. On further commenting that running an alternator all day every day on a still tended to indicate a problem with alcoholism. He then informed me that he didn't drink the damned stuff, it was how he made his living whilst cruising.

So you can add to Jim's list - bootlegging.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 23:09   #32

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

I'm with DreadPirateRob on smart homebuying.
Back in prehistoric times, the first property I bought was a fixer upper single family home in a higher end suburb. It was so fixer-upper, my late mom cried when she saw it - It's a ghost house she said.
I worked my butt off putting sweat equity into that home.
It paid off for me. Not in going cruising, per se, but it paid for my divorce. Without that divorce I still be in the Midwest instead of on the high seas. And I get to shiver my timbers pretty often with my freedom from indentured servitude, me mateys.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:32   #33

I'll also add im with deadpiraterob, last year, my wife and I purcahsed a 4 bedroom, 2 full bath house with a 1 bdroom 1 full bath legal rental suite...

We had spent almost a year looking for a place and had very stiff criteria we refused to budge on. But if we were to walk today we can rent the place out for twice what our mortgage is.

So the mortgage is helping us save more, we will be completely debt free by 2024 (aside from the house) and set to go sailing. Still haven't decided exactly what route we will take I can switch divisions, drop seniority and work part time ie work summers have winters off for a few years and keep banking cash while testing out the lifestyle.. or I can just walk completely...

All because I bought a house. Remote work, blogging, etc all seems interesting, maybe I will dabble in one such career from a boredom perspective hell maybe even a delivery captain... but to really make money.. I wouldn't trust those paths.

RR
TheRailRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 13:45   #34

Boat: Passport 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locquatious View Post
She tends to be a good stock investor. Anywhere a wifi or cell signal can be found usually makes for a payday.
You mean trader not investor. If she were a "good investor" she probably wouldn't need a job.
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote