Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2010, 08:28   #1

Boat: Hunter Passage 42 - s/v Sensei
Shore Maintenance

I'm curious to know about those of us who can't quite sever all the lines to land. When we cast off this winter for the tropics to spend several months in sunny climes, we'll still have a house in the Midwest (which I am loathe to sell while the market is still depressed, and take a beating) and a couple of vehicles. Maintaining the real estate is a relatively minor problem as I will have two adult daughters still living quite close to the property ... the vehicles, on the other hand, are another issue.

I'm concerned about maintaining the batteries, lubricants and fluids if I just park the vehicles in "long term". How do other cruisers handle the problem? Do you leave your vehicle in the care of friends/family (which brings up insurance issues if the vehicles are still in use)? Do you disconnect the battery and drain the oil?

Give me some ideas, please.

Thanks.
Old 21-07-2010, 09:23   #2

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)
If your only going to be gone for a few months, do it like the New Englander's do in the winter with their "summer" car.

As a quick run down, they tend to fill 'em up with fuel, add stabalizers to the fuel, change the oil, and sometimes put the cars up on blocks. A full tank of fuel minimized condensation, the fuel stabalizers keep the fuel useable for the months, and changeing the oil removed any acid, or moisture from the engine's oil. The blocks keep the tires from developing a flat spot from sitting for so long. It's typical to put the cars in a covered, protected area. Also, it's typical to add rodent posion to the area around the car.

You can remove the battery, but it probably won't make a diffrence. After a few months on a concrete floor, a battery will need to be recharge anyway. About the only thing removing the battery would do is prevent a short from burning the car down. Unlikly, but if no one is there to watch it, it's possible.
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 09:32   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Renew engine oil and filter, battery on trickle charge (either in the car or removed), and if possible, vehicle on axle stands (avoids the tyres getted "squared" although the tyres will return to proper shape after a few miles of driving)
nigel1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 09:42   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60
I have a cheap ($20 from Northern Tool) solar panel that I use to keep the battery up and I park on several thicknesses of old carpet to keep the tires from getting a flat spot. Same with a motorcycle every winter.
mikefp60 is offline   Reply With Quote