Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2016, 15:12   #76

Re: Retire now & go cruising or THIS is what happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Ann
You have the right of it! My BF is dragging his feet over the sentimental attachments he has to his house, the little do dads his kids gave him, just so many things!
He even had me paint the posts where his kids marked their growth. Of course he wants to go, he is just apprehensive because he does not know if the memories these things embody will be there when he wants them.
Apprehensive or just enjoying the life he has now and really does not want to ditch it all for some unknown new life? Circumstances usually force people to forsake the nest they have made for a potentially grubby existence. Some to escape the law, some because they are misfits, others due to eternal wanderlust. If the motive is not there, the body will not move.

My cousin is a big time divorce attorney in NYC. Because of his involvement in many major sailing events, gets a lot of clients bailing out of some sailing trip their spouses wanted. Evidently ranks right up there with spouse abuse, affairs, and drug abuse as motives for divorce.

So it may not just be the house that is parted with.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 15:22   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I've almost given up on getting rid of stuff, except the big stuff still, one, maybe two cars, a truck, motorcycle that kind of junk.
Most of the other stuff, all kinds of stuff is going into storage, the hangar as I'm keeping the old airplane and a hangar is actually cheap storage space cause it's bigger than a two car garage, the good furniture, the old antique good stuff will go into Air-conditioned storage.
I am at a loss as to what to do with important papers and the like.
And I have yet to figure out what to do banking wise, I assume USAA as I'm wanting a bank that is used to doing business with people scattered about the world.
House I sold last year, it was tough as it was the one I sort of grew up in, and I miss it every day, but it was just too much for us and no real way to rent it, selling was the right thing to do.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 15:29   #78
CLOD

Boat: none

[QUOTE=a64pilot;2185902
I am at a loss as to what to do with important papers and the like.
[/QUOTE]

Few of them are actually important once you think with only your head.

I threw away "childhood" stuff like old awards, medals, etc. etc. the other day. I've been eyeing my diplomas lately wondering why I need them as know I went to school and no one has ever asked for a copy.
Old 09-08-2016, 15:55   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Birth certificates, stocks, titles, discharge paperwork which is apparently very difficult to replace and your not getting anywhere with the VA without them, form 2A I believe, Social Security cards, I don't know off hand but there are others that you may need.
Plus some heirlooms, my Mothers Wedding ring, the Rolex she gave my Father when he Soloed which is apparently very valuable even though at the time it was not an expensive watch, other inherited Jewelry that will not go with us as I don't intend to take any.

Old 09-08-2016, 16:02   #80
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

We bought a 1.5 ton ex-bank safe and just keep our specials in that. We keep one set of keys and a friend has the other set - but does not know the location of our safe. The safe we keep in a storage unit that we own (no rent to pay).

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Birth certificates, stocks, titles, discharge paperwork which is apparently very difficult to replace and your not getting anywhere with the VA without them, form 2A I believe, Social Security cards, I don't know off hand but there are others that you may need.
Plus some heirlooms, my Mothers Wedding ring, the Rolex she gave my Father when he Soloed which is apparently very valuable even though at the time it was not an expensive watch, other inherited Jewelry that will not go with us as I don't intend to take any.

Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 16:21   #81

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:

Get a box at the bank. Put your wills in it and give a kid or a friend access. Dump the plane and the hanger fee. Keeping good furniture in a hanger what for? Probably be bug and/or rodent infested if you ever need it.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 16:34   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Get a box at the bank. Put your wills in it and give a kid or a friend access. Dump the plane and the hanger fee. Keeping good furniture in a hanger what for? Probably be bug and/or rodent infested if you ever need it.

I'll keep the old airplane, I have budgeted for the hangar, it's not much if any more than storage would be, and furniture won't go in the hangar, stuff like my tools and hobby stuff will. We will likely return to land, cruising may or may not be a long term thing, I hope it will, but why burn bridges? Once back I will want to continue to fly, airplane turned 70 this year, they ain't making them anymore, and this one since I have taken down to its bones and built it back is in rather good shape for such an old Gal. It will outlive me, I want it to actually.
I'll have to have a lock box, but want to ditch current bank. Does St Brendan's Isle have a safety deposit box kind of thing?

Old 09-08-2016, 16:36   #83

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:

For sentimental items, anything from objects, cards, newspaper clippings etc. I plan to scan or take a digital picture of. Tax returns, important papers I'll scan also. I'm not keeping any furniture. What family doesn't want will be donated. I agree with having a safety deposit box for important papers and jewelry, the executor to your will should have access to that.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 16:55   #84
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
I'll keep the old airplane,.........................
I feel this is all we need to know about your letting go issues.
Old 09-08-2016, 17:02   #85
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Some things have strong attachments...... and you should hang onto them. One caveat though; does it attract any tax for the heirs? If so, you might want to consider giving it away to those who'll stand to inherit, whilst you are around to manage the handover? You can always keep a seperate agreements as to right of use etc and not being sold, with your attorney.

Quote:
I'll keep the old airplane, I have budgeted for the hangar, it's not much if any more than storage would be, and furniture won't go in the hangar, stuff like my tools and hobby stuff will. We will likely return to land, cruising may or may not be a long term thing, I hope it will, but why burn bridges? Once back I will want to continue to fly, airplane turned 70 this year, they ain't making them anymore, and this one since I have taken down to its bones and built it back is in rather good shape for such an old Gal. It will outlive me, I want it to actually.
I'll have to have a lock box, but want to ditch current bank. Does St Brendan's Isle have a safety deposit box kind of thing?

Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 17:23   #86

Boat: Tayana 47

I don't have any idea who said it first but I first heard it from Alvah Simon when he was here in Maine after returning from wintering aboard in the Arctic,

"Dying is only one of many ways to lose your life,"

and putting it that way makes a lot of sense to me too. Sitting around a park seems like an awful waste of time to me but then again so does golf and a lot of other things lots of "normal" people do on a regular basis. I guess we all define "life" in our own way but it does seem sort of sad that some folks settle for so little when there is so much MORE out there for anyone who wants it..
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 17:35   #87

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
And I have yet to figure out what to do banking wise, I assume USAA as I'm wanting a bank that is used to doing business with people scattered about the world.

I'm struggling with that one too. As well as sailing, I tend to be all over quite a lot of the world while doing my job. I wish I had a nickel for every time my local credit unions VISA cash card has been denied "for my own protection" because of "suspicious activity" such as paying for my dinner and a beer on a layover, or just attempting to withdraw 100 Euros from an ATM that has VISA emblems and lettering all over it. I call them back and patiently explain that it's not suspicious for me to travel since that paycheck that's direct deposited into my account in their bank twice a month requires that I do something to earn it and since they also have my mortgage they are well aware of how I make my living. Every time it happens they say they'll make a note of it and every time they act completely surprised when I tell them I travel for a living, so the last guys "note" seems to have been lost. If you find a good bank or credit union that doesn't pull this sort of thing, I'd love to know about it.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 17:46   #88

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
I don't have any idea who said it first but I first heard it from Alvah Simon when he was here in Maine after returning from wintering aboard in the Arctic,

"Dying is only one of many ways to lose your life,"

and putting it that way makes a lot of sense to me too. Sitting around a park seems like an awful waste of time to me but then again so does golf and a lot of other things lots of "normal" people do on a regular basis. I guess we all define "life" in our own way but it does seem sort of sad that some folks settle for so little when there is so much MORE out there for anyone who wants it..
If you think about it what makes sitting on a park bench any more a waste of time than anything else we do? Golf was mentioned, trying to get a little white ball into a hole? Sight seeing? Reading a fictional novel,a fantasy? Is there any real purpose or achievement to these things, anymore than sitting on a park bench? Dont think do hard about most things we do, as it soon becomes apparent that they are mostly non important and a waste of time. Its learning to enjoy siitting on the park bench or what ever you happen to be doing that is the secret.
The human mind is a bazzar thing,what we attach importance to and what we don't. A person I know just got diagnosed with terminal cancer, not long to go. Due to this she was able to access her superannuation (401k) early. Shes suddenly really happy because she has money, its bazaar shes dying but currently feels rich and is happy.
Maybe the guy parked has the "now" thing happening and likes that hes not pissing is life away with"busyiness" like most do. Maybe he finds it ammusing that people are wasting time writing about it on a internet forum..lol.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 17:48   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I feel this is all we need to know about your letting go issues.
Always pack a parachute, just in case.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 18:44   #90

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I've been frozen to the computer for 2 days trying to figure this Aussie "parked" joke.

;^)

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
cruising