Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2013, 10:21   #61

Re: Quest for the perfect cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
Do you have a specific limit in mind on the draft of the boat?

I'm thinking 5 ft, but 4.5 ft might be even better. Florida and the Bahamas will be the primary stomping grounds initially, though I'd like to have the option to cruise the Caribbean.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 10:21   #62
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

The Gemini 105MC Catamaran Website
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 10:32   #63

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
I'm only 50, so I don't want to sign up for the "older people" category just yet. I'm on a sliding scale that allows for age as I attain it.
Are you sure???...To some on here, you are an old man unless you have a centerline queen bed on a Benehunterlina
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 10:49   #64
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
I'm thinking 5 ft, but 4.5 ft might be even better. Florida and the Bahamas will be the primary stomping grounds initially, though I'd like to have the option to cruise the Caribbean.
There is the all time best selling 41' boat that was designed for exactly what you have been asking for - the Morgan 41 Out Island, and if you what a little more performance there is the Catalina verison after they took over Moran, the Morgan 41 Classic.

But be warned, while it it is a great proven boat for the use the snobs are going to turn on you.
Old 28-06-2013, 11:01   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Are you sure???...To some on here, you are an old man unless you have a centerline queen bed on a Benehunterlina
I looked up the HR 35 Rasmus. Sweet boat. If I find the right one, that could be a candidate, though my wife might find it claustrophobic on a long cruise, something I'm trying to avoid.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 11:17   #66

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
I personally love the Ingrid 38. Such a nice boat! Similar to the Alajuela 38, which I have not been on, but pretty close to the same. Alajuela 33 if you can find one is nearing my ideal cruiser. Maybe a Baba 35? I like the old traditional heavy boats.

bluewaterboats.org

I suspect it will be difficult to find a boat that sails well in the 36-40ft range wth a 4.5 draft. Maybe there's one out there tho..
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 11:21   #67

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I've found a much larger division than that between salty old boat owners and beneunterlina owners. That is the one between rich power boaters and poor cruisers.
Those rich power boaters are pretty hard to get along with, but their wives have nice hair.
Old 28-06-2013, 11:46   #68

Hmmmm...I hesitate to respond on this thread as I know the drubbing I will face, but in the interest of the OP's question I think I'll take my chances and chime in. Old man boats vs bleach bottles...my wife and I bought a West Sail 32 (guard the gates the attack is a out to begin) . I have a tremendous amount of room, an enormous vberth that is very comfortable (sleep better on the boat than home), a very simple boat (that is very hard to break) and performs adequately (Dave King, Sarraband). I also have access to a great support site (Westsail.org) and Bud Taplin at (westsail.com). Replacing most parts is very easy as it takes little more than a phone call. I'm not big on maintenance...do it anyway, so bought a newer WS32 (still a 35yr old boat) and will have to put bout 18k into my refit. I don't have teak decks, boomkin or much more than an anchor platform and a cap rail...bout it. We will be a total of bout 45-50k into the boat (sail away condition) when done. I realize she is not for everyone, but she works well for us, a couple. Good luck in ur search...OK, go ahead, I'm ready for my drubbing! 😬
Bashleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 11:57   #69

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
There is the all time best selling 41' boat that was designed for exactly what you have been asking for - the Morgan 41 Out Island,
Ah yes...The boat that was nicked named the Outhouse 41 for it's inability to tack.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 12:29   #70

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

in the bahamas, draft is critical to the inch.. it can mean the difference between using a marina or not, a cut, or an entire anchorage.. so you are on target here (with the 4.5ft max)..

have a look at 80's and 90's Bristols and Sabres... many had keel centreboard..

as far as boat age, i dont think there is any difference between 10yo and 40yo.. electronics, sails, running rigging is already on the update list at 10 years so its all in what equipment the boat has, how it is rigged, and general state and condition, layout, storage & tankage.

although i can be called subjective, as its the boat i own..lol, i spent a huge amount of time in research and visits before i ended up with a sabre 38.. to me, its the perfect liveaboard monohull for the east coast and bahamas...excellent layout, looks, sails well, still comfortable, 4ft 3" board up, 8ft board down (almost never need this), great storage, tankage..excellent factory support and owners group.

Quote:
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 12:36   #71

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
I looked up the HR 35 Rasmus. Sweet boat. If I find the right one, that could be a candidate, though my wife might find it claustrophobic on a long cruise, something I'm trying to avoid.
Look at HR Monsun then. Most similar hull but way different layout. HR Rasmus has 'cabins' which in such a small boat make the interior feel cramped.

It is difficult to feel claustrophobic on an extended cruise as so much time is spent outside - keeping watch in the cockpit while at sea or hiking and exploring while in port. This much said, some people are claustrophobic others are not and each should find a boat that fits their particular needs.

If you want any feedback from a mid-term sailing/liveaboard couple then we are two of us full time (10 years now) in a 26' boat. We never feel claustrophobic and we find the boat extremely easy to run and spacious enough ON THE CRUISE. In port, we wish she were just a bit bigger - say the size of a Monsun ... ! As you can see this is the opposite of your fears.

Bueno. We are blessed to live in times when there are so many inexpensive and decent GRP boats around!

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 12:40   #72

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashleys View Post
Hmmmm.. I think I'll take my chances and chime in. Old man boats vs bleach bottles... ��
you wouldnt get any crap about your boat if you were to understand that the W32 is NOT the only capable cruiser on the water contrary to the thoughts of most W32 owners..
to refer to others as "bleach bottles" is about bias as it comes..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 13:03   #73
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
you wouldnt get any crap about your boat if you were to understand that the W32 is NOT the only capable cruiser on the water contrary to the thoughts of most W32 owners..
to refer to others as "bleach bottles" is about bias as it comes..
He has a "boat bias"...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 15:44   #74

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
There is the all time best selling 41' boat that was designed for exactly what you have been asking for - the Morgan 41 Out Island, and if you what a little more performance there is the Catalina verison after they took over Moran, the Morgan 41 Classic.

But be warned, while it it is a great proven boat for the use the snobs are going to turn on you.
+1

But having had a Gemini I would go back to it for FL, East Coast, Bahamas. But! You won't get a good one for 50k.
Old 28-06-2013, 17:17   #75

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashleys View Post

(...)

a West Sail 32 (...) a very simple boat (that is very hard to break) and performs adequately

(...)
+++

And you will notice how FEW sailors today appreciate this simplicity and hard-to-break'ability.

W32 ? Performance ? What performance ? And here we go.

But what good is 'better' performance if the 'better' performing boat is easier to break?

And they do break: hydralics, electrics, in-mast furlers, gensets and watermakers and ELECTRIC TOILETS and REFRIGERATORS.

Sailing is about sailing, not about fixing things. A W32 may be a bit slower or point a bit lower than a modern, finer boat. And so what. In the long run, one can only get places in a boat that tends to remain in one piece.

We may get there tomorrow, but we WILL.

Hence my first advice to anybody asking is: 'get a simple, strong and safe boat'.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruiser