Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2016, 14:12   #16

Re: Purchasing a Hallberg-Rassy that needs new teak deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
It's odd that, once a teak deck shows major signs of lifting, a majority jump to the conclusion that an expensive re-decking is necessary, instead of repairing what's already there.
Yes, I suppose that is true. Little info is given. I think some of us hear "heaved up in a few places" and without pictures assume it needs some teak replaced, all the caulking redone, re-screwing maybe etc. A big expensive job even that. and long term, what keeps other planks that weren't redone from heaving up 6 months from now...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 14:19   #17

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
...what keeps other planks that weren't redone from heaving up 6 months from now...?
Repairs (could be DIY) and maintenance.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 14:25   #18

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I guess I don't know them that well, seems like the teak was almost entirely the decking on the outside. With that gone, maybe handrails and cowl cap?

Aviso de redirección

I think a bit more, some people believe that a Awlgrip deck is cheaper and free of maintenance , so far so good , for this kind of boat I believe killing the teak deck is kind of stealing a part of that HR feeling,,
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 14:46   #19

Boat: Cape Dory 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenega View Post
I use to build / install teak decks for 20 years. I love the project but on my own boat -no way! I would remove the deck, fill all the fastener holes and Awlgrip. Be sure before the purchase there hasn't been water penetration into the core. That could add a lot of additional work - but it is doable. Can make for a good negotiation point in your favor if you can do the work.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I've been reading a few blogs about teak replacement and wow, that is quite the skill. I would love to put teak back on the HR maybe even cork? Just for the resale value, however it just wouldn't be in the budget, not right off anyway. That's why I wanted to ask about the awlgrip, I wasn't sure if this was a quality alternative or a cheap fix, I'm sure that can depend on preference.....

About water in the core, with teak covering the deck will a surveyor be able to tell? Or is this something that wont be apparent till the deck comes off?
Old 27-03-2016, 14:49   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
How can anyone answer that?
We don't know what the boat is worth or how much he's asking.
Since the owner himself says he knows it needs to be done, I'd expect his asking price to already reflect that.
Yes good point, I suspect he has reduced the price but there aren't too many of these boat for sale around me so it is hard to tell.
Old 27-03-2016, 14:51   #21

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyO View Post
I've been reading a few blogs about teak replacement and wow, that is quite the skill. I would love to put teak back on the HR maybe even cork? Just for the resale value, however it just wouldn't be in the budget, not right off anyway. That's why I wanted to ask about the awlgrip, I wasn't sure if this was a quality alternative or a cheap fix, I'm sure that can depend on preference.....

About water in the core, with teak covering the deck will a surveyor be able to tell? Or is this something that wont be apparent till the deck comes off?
A pro Spray job in the deck looks great and is not cheap by any mean , and a surveyor can detect water in the core deck.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 15:07   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
A pro Spray job in the deck looks great and is not cheap by any mean , and a surveyor can detect water in the core deck.
Thanks, good to know they can do that!
Old 27-03-2016, 15:09   #23

Yep, a pro paint job, with non skid, is also going to be expensive. Detecting the water may be tough. But, OP, do you even know if there are screws in that deck?
You may need a surveyor to ferret out what is really required.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 15:49   #24

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Paddy,
A good friend of mine owns a CT56, of which I am very familiar, that is 30 years old with the original teak decking. It is lifting, as yours, in several spots and he is in the process of replacing it with nonskid paint. He claims his deck is solid glass(?). If that is the case, it will certainly be a labor intensive project but one in which there will be no concern for the condition of the deck underneath the teak. However, this HR probably has a cored deck and if there has been an ingress of water into the core, you could be looking at a major project with many unforeseen surprises in addition to painting(re-coring, gel coating adjacent areas, removal of deck hardware,etc.). It has been my experience that boats with "questionable" teak decks are very difficult to sell to the average sailor. You need to be realistic when appraising its value to you since there are some vessels with teak decks in good shape that would be a much better buy if that's your cup of tea. Proceed with caution. Boatyards are the repository of broken dreams. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 27-03-2016, 15:54   #25

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyO View Post
Yes good point, I suspect he has reduced the price but there aren't too many of these boat for sale around me so it is hard to tell.
There should be enough for sale in the US to get some idea -- probably somewhere around 90k on average. Too lazy to look it up, but you can do that yourself.

But it depends on each boat. Every boat has its issues, and some are a lot more expensive to fix then others.

Don't focus on the asking price, but on what the boat is worth. Do you have enough experience to know what a fair price would be for that particular Rassy?
Old 27-03-2016, 16:45   #26

Buy the boat subject to new decks, either glass or teak and let the buyer take the risk of a bad deck
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 17:02   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Paddy,
A good friend of mine owns a CT56, of which I am very familiar, that is 30 years old with the original teak decking. It is lifting, as yours, in several spots and he is in the process of replacing it with nonskid paint. He claims his deck is solid glass(?). If that is the case, it will certainly be a labor intensive project but one in which there will be no concern for the condition of the deck underneath the teak. However, this HR probably has a cored deck and if there has been an ingress of water into the core, you could be looking at a major project with many unforeseen surprises in addition to painting(re-coring, gel coating adjacent areas, removal of deck hardware,etc.). It has been my experience that boats with "questionable" teak decks are very difficult to sell to the average sailor. You need to be realistic when appraising its value to you since there are some vessels with teak decks in good shape that would be a much better buy if that's your cup of tea. Proceed with caution. Boatyards are the repository of broken dreams. Good luck and safe sailing.
I believe it is a screwed down deck, and it is cored. Thanks for the insight.
Old 27-03-2016, 17:08   #28

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes it is true the cost is not prohibitive.

352 has very limited amount of teak and easy to replace. As labour and material costs vary, you want to know the price from your local deck / teak craftsman.

Do not fall for grp deck - 352 uses the teak as an insulation too. If I remember well the deck under teak is not sandwich.

Last time I saw a new teak job on 352 the boat looked like new. It is a worthwile effort if the rest of the boat is in good condition.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 17:09   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
There should be enough for sale in the US to get some idea -- probably somewhere around 90k on average. Too lazy to look it up, but you can do that yourself.

But it depends on each boat. Every boat has its issues, and some are a lot more expensive to fix then others.

Don't focus on the asking price, but on what the boat is worth. Do you have enough experience to know what a fair price would be for that particular Rassy?
Most of what I found, yachtworld.com was outside the US and between 80-120K, so I wasn't sure if that was a fair comparison. And no, I haven't been interested in HR's long enough to know what fair price would be, I just have an idea of their reputation and their followers. Maybe there is a HR owners forum I could poke around in...
Old 27-03-2016, 17:11   #30

Boat: Ohlson 29

Personally, I'd avoid any boat with a screwed on teak deck, but that's just me

HR's don't come cheap - you pay for both the boat and the HR name.

Tags
deck, purchasing, teak, teak deck