Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2024, 17:58   #31

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21
Re: How does one confirm clear title in US

I'm pretty slack about buying boats. If I get a good feel for the owner, and the paperwork is pretty much in order. I just go for it.

I love to look at a boat, make a low offer, and hand over a stack of cash. That's for maybe $30,000 and under. ($30,000 cash has, on occasion, bought a boat listed at over $60K - and it was a gamble on mechanical issues)

Of course, higher price, more careful.

Selling is easier. I have only lived in two places in the past 50+ years. Someone who had a valid claim against me would be able to attach assets sufficient to recover damages.

I do normally include 'seller guarantees that the vessel is free of all liens and encumbrances, and will defend the buyer against any claims', when buying.

I do this because (in my experience and observation) the most common issue is back moorage or recent workers or suppliers who have not been paid. This can result in the boat being impounded, chained, not allowed to leave. Based on the contract, it's fairly easy, and cheap, to put a lien on the sellers house. If they have a mortgage, a call the their lender will start a chain of events that will result in strong incentive for the seller to get things settled.
I have never had to do the above.

I have always checked with the yard or moorage office to see that all fees are current. I have been informed about money owed. I have informed the seller, paid yard and moorage fees owed, and subtracted the amount from the sale price. Never had an owner dispute that.

If I wanted to buy a more expensive boat without an official federal ownership document (a bit different in Canada from the US, but close enough). I would get a credit report on the seller. If they own their home, have equity and assets well in excess of the purchase price of the boat, and sign a contract that says they guarantee clear title and will defend the buyer, I would go for it
Always assuming that the sellers, boat, and deal all smell right.

We gamble our lives every time we leave the dock, or start the engine. We each have a comfort level, based on experience, knowledge and trust of the systems we depend on, and our gut feelings.
Buying and selling a boat is similar. Some of us check the oil every time before we start the engine. Some of us hire lawyers or other professionals to handle boat sales.
This forum is one of the right places to ask for advice.
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote