Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: What insurance do you carry for your boat ?
Fully insured 120 50.63%
Liability only 55 23.21%
Uninsured 62 26.16%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 13:48   #181

Boat: Westerly Centaur
Re: Going Uninsured !?

Quote:
Originally Posted by familycruisers View Post
I need to decide full or liability. 120 for liability, 230 for full w/ survey. That can be done for 250 and is good for 5 yrs. I paid 1k for the boat, boated most my life, pretty sure any accident with another craft will be the other guys fault. So watcha think I should do?
That's the sort of cover I'm looking for. you'll have to hook me up with this guy
Hillbillylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 14:06   #182
Marine Service Provider

I'm 99% certain that would qualify him, and therefore you.

Originally USAA was only for active duty and retired officers in any of the four services...then they made former dependents eligible (which is how, as an Army Brat, I became a USAA member 37 years ago)...about 10 years ago USAA made active and retired non-coms (and their dependents and former dependents) eligible...and just a couple of years ago opened up membership to anyone who's ever served--and their dependents too--provided they were honorably discharged if they aren't still in the reserves or whatever. So that SHOULD make your dad--and you--eligible.

And btw, USAA isn't just insurance any more...their banking and brokerage are among the very best. Check 'em out at USAA.com
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 14:08   #183
CLOD

Boat: none

threads like this, autopilots, GPS, guns, anchors. rules of the road ............. all combine to make me more scared of other boaters than the dangers I worried about when I started sailing!
Old 02-01-2012, 14:18   #184

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
threads like this, autopilots, GPS, guns, anchors. rules of the road ............. all combine to make me more scared of other boaters than the dangers I worried about when I started sailing!
Don't worry Don. I bet you can buy insurance for this fear as well

(Sorry. This was cheeky -- but I just had to)
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 14:27   #185
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter
Uninsured, unlicensed, inexperienced, unsurveyed, unkempt = expensive + irresponsible.
Nonsense, loads of activities are uninsured. That does not make people irresponsible. Remember it's not called an "accident" for nothing

Dave
Old 02-01-2012, 14:29   #186
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Uhm ... that's why I said to the limits of the policy and the deductible. It's not zero, your risk is to those limits.

Yes, that was me (and a few others as well).

Here again you are proving my point. What are the real odds of this happening? Very, very low indeed. Anecdotes and single events only prove something is possible. But they don't tell how probable an event is. If you fear everything that is possible, then you don't need insurance, you need therapy .

In my country you would have to show negligence to make this kind of claim stick. Perhaps US law is different, but here no judge would even hear a case over someone tripping over a line (even a misplaced one) on a boat: "Can you image? A line on a boat the wasn't properly stowed?!? Incredible"

All too often our society (at least here in Canada and the US) is driven to enact new policies or regulations based on unlikely events. At the same time we take incredible risks (driving a car!) and think nothing of it. It's irrational ... except if you are an insurance company who makes money off irrational fear. Then it's supremely rational .

Who "fears" something?

Sorry, but if I'm on your boat in rolling water or a storm, in the dark, and you send me forward, and I trip badly enough to hurt myself significantly, you ARE liable -- whether you have insurance or not.

If it happens because I wasn't paying attention to the water, or the storm, or whether you were about to tack (and announced it), it's "my bad."

That's the attitude *i* would take. On land if someone falls on your property, the courts pretty much assume it to be the property owner's fault, but marine law is different.

But there would be plenty to be sensibly worried about if a nearby boat was on fire. Dismissing that as "so fearful one needs therapy" is so extreme that such a person thinking that way might ... well ... need therapy.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 14:31   #187
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcsmithuk View Post
This just gave me my humour fix for the evening. Brilliant.

But it would hardly fit anyone here. Fearful people don't take up sailing and stick with it.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 14:33   #188
CLOD

Once people start using the words "marine" and "law" all bets are off! This is my experience after years here on CF!
Old 02-01-2012, 14:48   #189

Boat: One-off 1904 Gaff-rig, 28' LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Who "fears" something?

On land if someone falls on your property, the courts pretty much assume it to be the property owner's fault, but marine law is different.
In which case I'm rather glad marine law is different, as it's quite absurd to think that someone could walk into my house, accidentally fall down my stairs or something and it's somehow my fault because I didn't say where the light switch was or something equally stupid. What happened to personal responsibility and accepting consequences? Why is it always someone elses fault? In the end it would be an individual choice to go to the foredeck in whatever conditions. You could always say no.
vcsmithuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 14:54   #190

Boat: One-off 1904 Gaff-rig, 28' LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
But it would hardly fit anyone here. Fearful people don't take up sailing and stick with it.
Still made me laugh though.
vcsmithuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 15:06   #191
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcsmithuk View Post
Still made me laugh though.
don't think raku has actally sailed any where,he is still doing a risk assesment lol
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 15:14   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
don't think raku has actally sailed any where,he is still doing a risk assesment lol
Ouch..!!
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 16:00   #193
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames

Sorry, but if I'm on your boat in rolling water or a storm, in the dark, and you send me forward, and I trip badly enough to hurt myself significantly, you ARE liable -- whether you have insurance or not.

If it happens because I wasn't paying attention to the water, or the storm, or whether you were about to tack (and announced it), it's "my bad."

That's the attitude *i* would take. On land if someone falls on your property, the courts pretty much assume it to be the property owner's fault, but marine law is different.
I think you just crossed my liability threshold - LOL

I carry full medical and accident/dismemberment etc. insurance. I am the proverbial worth more lost at sea dude.

But I would never, never, ever, ever, sue a Skipper for injuring myself on a boat. That is the ultimate rudeness.

The only exception might be if I "paid" for training of some kind and the operation was truly negligent and I was truly hurt badly enough to affect future employment or quality of life.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 16:02   #194
CLOD

like I said.............less expensive to kill them than let them be hurt
Old 02-01-2012, 16:08   #195

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

If I put a sign on my boat saying "uninsured", does that mean people will stop anchoring right on top of me?