Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: What insurance do you carry for your boat ?
Fully insured 120 50.63%
Liability only 55 23.21%
Uninsured 62 26.16%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 02:05   #271

Re: Going Uninsured !?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezCat View Post
is this the amount required?
and how much does it cost?
To have 300,000 liability insurance in litigate states of america is no insurance at all...
It is the required minimum and comes with the comprehensive insurance, about 1% of the boats worth give or take. There is another requirement for boats over 15 Meters, a sort of environmental levy for oil spills coverage, but I think this is for Queensland only. It is very difficult to get public liability only and marinas here require comprehensive coverage.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:10   #272
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
just where are you uninsured people keeping your boat as I can not believe a marina would allow, plus I would like to know to avoid your locations
Uninsured people are only a problem if you don't have insurance.

Or am I missing the point of having insurance?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:25   #273

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I would never go without liability insurance. Never, ever. Something stupid happens and you can lose everything.

The rest of it you don't absolutely need if you can afford to lose your boat.

But insurance is one thing I don't scrimp on. Anyway, I pay no more for broad coverage of my boat than I used to pay for car insurance 20 years ago. I consider it a great bargain.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:31   #274

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
The voting at the top is quite interesting. I didn't realise so many are un-insured, but I have just seen another thread were someone quote 4%. Ours costs 1% pa of the boat value which seems a little more reasonable.

Pete
And ours is less than 1/2%! And it covers everything, including theft, shipwreck, sinking, crashes, fires, the dinghy, the contents of the boat, etc. etc. And 3 million pounds (more than $4.5 million) of liability! No restrictions on single handing, night sailing, etc., and I am not required to keep her in a marina.

Maybe I didn't realize how good we have it. 4% does sound a bit steep.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:11   #275
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Just think how expensive it would be if a guest suffered a broken nose getting hit by the boom because they wouldn't listen to you and insisted on standing up to get a beer during a tack. That exact scenario went to 5 figures for a friend of mine.
And that my friends is why insurance can cost so much. IMO your friend's guest was morally bankrupt in claiming and not willing to be responsible for his own actions and a legal system / society that encourages such actions is also.... well, words fail me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
It is the required minimum and comes with the comprehensive insurance, about 1% of the boats worth give or take. There is another requirement for boats over 15 Meters, a sort of environmental levy for oil spills coverage, but I think this is for Queensland only. It is very difficult to get public liability only and marinas here require comprehensive coverage.
That hasn't been my experience, a phone call to a well know retail insurer, a survey ('cause wooden (ply) boat was over 20 years old), pay something like $140 (over the phone) and it was done! Marina's here (WA) only require third party and not all even look at the paperwork.

Why would a Marina require comprehensive cover????

Perhaps it is a Queensland thing!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:28   #276

Whats the name of the company, I have a few friends that would love the piece of mind they live on the hook and can not afford comp insurance. I have been to few marinas here on the bay and north to Port Douglas, Comprehensive was the requirement.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Old 04-03-2012, 03:35   #277

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
That would have to be because of the Great Barrier Reef, and your right on it,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:04   #278

Quote:
Whats the name of the company, I have a few friends that would love the piece of mind they live on the hook and can not afford comp insurance. I have been to few marinas here on the bay and north to Port Douglas, Comprehensive was the requirement.
GIO, see Boat Insurance Australia | Boat Insurance Quotes | Marine Insurance | GIO
Not doubting your experience with the marinas you have been to but I wonder what would happen if you waved your third party policy under their noses and asked what more could they possibly want for their protection and/or one was prepared to take one's money elsewhere.

It just doesn't make sense for them to worry about your protection or has the nanny bit gone that far
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 04-03-2012, 04:14   #279
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
And ours is less than 1/2%! And it covers everything, including theft, shipwreck, sinking, crashes, fires, the dinghy, the contents of the boat, etc. etc. And 3 million pounds (more than $4.5 million) of liability! No restrictions on single handing, night sailing, etc., and I am not required to keep her in a marina.

Maybe I didn't realize how good we have it. 4% does sound a bit steep.
who is your insurer- ?
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:39   #280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
GIO, see Boat Insurance Australia | Boat Insurance Quotes | Marine Insurance | GIO
Not doubting your experience with the marinas you have been to but I wonder what would happen if you waved your third party policy under their noses and asked what more could they possibly want for their protection and/or one was prepared to take one's money elsewhere.

It just doesn't make sense for them to worry about your protection or has the nanny bit gone that far
I will Pass this on, thanks

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Old 04-03-2012, 05:04   #281
CLOD

Boat: none

[QUOTE=lordgeoff;900829 False insurance documents will get you past any Marina scrutiny. The marinas want the business more than they want to comply with regulations or riders on their Insurance Policies.
[/QUOTE]

Great lets just lie and rely on the marinas greed and call ourselves moral.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:09   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
..............It just doesn't make sense for them to worry about your protection or has the nanny bit gone that far
Oh, I get it, they want to keep the riffraff out - the ones that can't or won't comprehensively insure. Well, its a two way street, I don't want to give them my money so I guess its win/win situation.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:28   #283

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Maybe the key to needing liability, etc. insurance for marinas/boatyards is the age of the marine/boatyard - and - its condition. Seems that the new or recently refurbished "nice/pretty" marinas/boatyards with their higher prices require insurance. And the old run-down, very economical marinas/boatyards don't require it thinking maybe that you will want to see "their insurance" considering the hazards everywhere.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:31   #284

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
who is your insurer- ?
Towergate. I have never had a claim, so don't know how they do there, but they have a good reputation. They are very pleasant to deal with. I am on my third year with them.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:34   #285

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Maybe the key to needing liability, etc. insurance for marinas/boatyards is the age of the marine/boatyard - and - its condition. Seems that the new or recently refurbished "nice/pretty" marinas/boatyards with their higher prices require insurance. And the old run-down, very economical marinas/boatyards don't require it thinking maybe that you will want to see "their insurance" considering the hazards everywhere.
The reason is different. Marinas don't want to be sued as the "deep pockets" in case of an accident where the real perpetrator has no insurance and can't pay -- who is "judgement proof", as lawyers say. Their own insurance, no doubt, requires them to require berthholders to be insured. I think it is entirely understandable and reasonable. Why we are not allowed to get behind the wheel of a car without liability insurance -- why should boats be any different?