Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 07:11   #1

Boat: Mcgregor 26 (brothers)
Found Boat, but Can't Get to it to Look - Help!

What, if anything, can I do if I found a boat in Maine, I'm in Tennessee, and I cant get the time off work to go look at it. Is there anyway to check the boat out where I can buy it without going to see it? Surveyor? Whats the best option, if any?
supershooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:22   #2

Boat: Albin Ballad; 1978; 30'-00" "SVINT II"
Check around the forum for someone in the area that can recommend a good surveyor that is not in the sellers pocket. A surveyor that would act on the buyers behallf and not that of the seller.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:48   #3

Thanks, thats kinda what I thought. The boats close to you. Its in Winterport, ME. The 27' Hunter on Sailboats for sale. Looks like a good deal and just right for what I want it for.

Thanks
Tim
Old 05-10-2009, 17:10   #4

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Surveyors

Here are the links to the primary marine surveyor accrediting groups, NAMS and SAMS.

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 17:18   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman
I have a classmate from USNA who is a marine surveyor in Providence, RI. If you are interested in his particulars, please send me a PM.
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 19:12   #6

Boat: islandpacket
You cant afford to survey every boat you want to look at. If I could not look at it first I would not get a survey. Its getting cold and boat sales slow way down. Chances are it will be available later when you have the time, if not another will show up. In my opinion no mater the price, never jump at anything you cant touch and think about. From my own experience.
Old 05-10-2009, 19:41   #7

YEA, I agree now ith badsanta. I want to walk around inside, start it, sail it, rub it, poke it and whatever else. But while looking for a boat I did discover that the one you really want to try out is 1,000 miles away. That makes packing, shipping and unpacking WAY over the value of 99.9% of them. WWWHHHAAAA!
Old 05-10-2009, 19:42   #8

Oh Yea, I forgot the boss..wife.. wants to "check it out" also. huh?
Old 05-10-2009, 19:48   #9

Boat: Tartan 27' - 'Odalisque'
supershooter,
I looked around CF to see if there was a 'local boat buying assitance' sticky or thread but could not find one. At SN (sailnet) there is just such a thing there where members post their locations and offer to have a look-see of boats that might be local to them, but not the interested party. I posted on this thread/sticky for the SE NY area at SN but have never been contacted because of it. Keep in mind that, at best, you might get a mostly disinterested 3rd party to have a look at the Catalina 27' (take a few pictures if they are nice) and give you a general impression.
I did take a look at a 32' Allied Seawind Ketch in Northport, NY for a fellow in Chile who bought the boat sight unseen because he asked me to via email. I visited the boat while his surveyor was there and took a 'boatload' of pictures of it that I gave him through a photo website. I am also a wannabe 'surveyor'. In return for me efforts I enjoyed the ride with him for the 30 or so nm. to NYC. Nice chap too.
IMHO, this website (CF) has a bit more of an international flavor and maybe even more 'traffic' then SN although they have members from around the globe as well. My point is that many of the members at SN are in the US and there are quite a few good folks up in ME who might be willing to drop by a boat that someone was potentially interested in.
Catalina 27's are quite a common boat as many were built. One issue that I hear is fairly common with some Catalinas is the 'Catalina smile', eg., visible cracks around the keel. Even the most novice of boat owners should be able to give you feedback on such things. A surveyor should look at a boat more thoroughly though. Going rates are around $10 - $13/foot and you get a 'surveyors report' which you might very well need for insurance purposes if you buy the boat.
I would suggest that you should be able to find a boat of the same model (C 27) that is closer to your location. There must be boatloads of them on the Chesapeake where the winters are generally much less severe then in ME (less extreme freeze/thaw cycles). As with all boats there are a lot of variables that affect it's value and sea worthiness; a good surveyor should be able to identify. The 'untrained eye' might pick up on a good bit of evidence but not all problems are clearly visible.
Good luck.
CalebD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 22:02   #10

Boat: Tartan 27' - 'Odalisque'
Here is the link to the 'local boat buying assistance' thread at SN:
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-r...ssistance.html
Skol.
CalebD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:53   #11

Boat: Privilege 37
3 years ago, two CF members were kind enough to offer to investigate a vessel in Florida for me. This offer provided the information I required to start the process, which subsequently failed due to other circumstances.

The really important requirement is to see if the posted photographs bear any relationship to the actual condition of the craft now, instead of being a record of when the boat was new!

That fact alone can save a fair chunk of money in travel and hotel fees, let alone the see-saw of emotion when you think you have found the one - only to discover that instead of being a thing of beauty, the boat is now a wrinkly old has-been.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:40   #12

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
That fact alone can save a fair chunk of money in travel and hotel fees, let alone the see-saw of emotion when you think you have found the one - only to discover that instead of being a thing of beauty, the boat is now a wrinkly old has-been.
Not only confined to boats, net dating has the same problems.

Im sure someone who lives localy will be most kind and do a drive or sail by and take a preliminary peek.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:12   #13

Boat: Bristol 38.8
I would order a survey if the boat looked really good from afar. I can recommend Kent Thurston in Belfast, who will do a "valuation survey" for a very reasonable fee. I would also suggest contacting Suzanne Ellis in Falmouth, ME (near Portland). She's a broker, but a straight shooter, and she can recommend a surveyor in the Bucksport area.

BTW, Winterport (right next to Bucksport) is worth a trip if you can get away. Beautiful area.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:26   #14

Boat: Allegro 33
I think Id like to see it with own eyes. It is very difficult to relay to someone about shape unless its ur twinbrother that you have lived closed to all your life to discuss referenceobjects. Get on a plane. The last good deal will be done in the eternal future./ harry
Hurricane Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:24   #15

Thanks for all the input. I've decided that I need to see it in person before I buy. If it means waiting longer than so be it. Its the only way get what I want. So thanks everybody, I agree!