Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2019, 08:43   #16

Boat: Seaward 25
Re: Do you pay for true LOA?

In Sitka, last summer, they charged for the true LOA plus the LOA of the dinghy, no matter where or how it is tied, unless it is on the bow where we had ours. The other boats in our little fleet were not happy.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:50   #17

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

LWL is 11.99m LOA is 12.35m so for the vast majority of cases 12m makes little difference.

Except now in Greece where that 36cm makes a big jump in the cruising tax. And 40ft is 12.19m so it doesn't make much difference if I use old money or new.

The best one though is the 2012 version of my boat, exact same hull, is called the 41 so the assumption is it is 41ft long and therefore can get charged more by some places and as it is 12.5m some places might round it up to 13m rather than down to 12m as I generally find.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:53   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Haha I just send the girls to do the chatting along the lines of: We're kinda bad at math, but we're 16 meters on paper, 18 over the water, so that averages to about 14 meters right? Might not always work, but we almost always get a discount. And sometimes we get the 14 m price in an 18 m slip

*to be fair, if we get any discount, we work the dock like marinaros helping people come in. if not, we sit on our butts and watch the show

So let me get this straight. You only help other boaters if the marina gives you a discount?

And you perpetuate female stereotypes in order to get that discount?

Think bigger picture.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:04   #19
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
... A boat should not have anything extend beyond the end of a finger pier.
a. This is just a wording clarification; in many areas the finger pier is less than 1/2 the length of the slip.
b. I've had marinas tie me up with as much as 15 feet extending past the end of the bulkhead, into the fairway, and then charge me the full rate. I didn't chose to overhang and would rather not.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:42   #20
CLOD

Boat: none

boat length in a slip far as charging is a stupid method as it takes up all the slip either way
Old 12-05-2019, 11:43   #21
Marine Service Provider

As mentioned here before, some marinas use "spared length" which is what the Panama Canal uses to calculate the transit fee. This is the measurement from the most aft point on you dinghy davits, or the dinghy itself if it happens to be hanging on the davits, to the tip of the anchor you have left in the bow roller. Other marinas just use the standard manufacturer's spec sheet LOA or whatever you tell them.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 14:07   #22

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
I probably should have put this in the "off-topic" forum, because it's hardly a serious concern, but I'm curious.

For marinas and other services, do you report true LOA for payment purposes, or do you fudge it?
I will hardly say we "fudge it". Our Formosa 46 is exactly 45 feet in the line drawings and when measured with a plumb bob. (The name "Formosa 45" had already been used.)
Almost every marina charges me by the slip. So we usually pay the rate for a 50 foot boat. Our home marina had max 40' slips for a few years and we paid for a 45' boat even though we had to fit into a 40' slip. As soon as the marina had larger slips we had to move to a 50' slip and pay for the slip length.
It is not like we have 8 foot overhangs and we are trying to get away with something. In general, marinas will make the rules and we can either embrace them or look elsewhere.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 15:09   #23

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

My marina writes up the initial moorage contract based on the LOA you provide. In a week or two (when he gets around to it), the Harbormaster measures the actual LOA. If you fudged, the marina corrects the moorage charge.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 16:41   #24

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Its the length of the place you need to place the boat that is the important measure, not the length of the boat's LOA, LWL. Dock length required to moor properly.

I hate seeing boats placed in slips that are shorter than the boats LOA or even close to the LOA as that means something is sticking out over the dock or in the fairway, or crowding a boat along the wharf.

A boat should not have anything extend beyond the end of a finger pier.
In my old marina this would have restricted the place to 10 ft boats. In that area no marinas that I know about have finger piers that extend to the outside pilings.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 17:59   #25

Boat: 2008 Nordic Tug 37

I tell them I have a NT 37 with LOA (anchor, bow sprit, swim step and dinghy) of 46'. They decide how they want to charge me. This also lets them know that I won't fit entirely into a 40' slip.
Waterford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 18:33   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
boat length in a slip far as charging is a stupid method as it takes up all the slip either way
It might, or might not, be stupid, but it is how most marinas work. Actually, most of them charge you for the length of the slip PLUS any overhang.

If you really wanted to charge fairly, it would be a function of length AND beam. After all, most 30 foot slips are a lot narrow thaa most 60 foot slips, so you can fit a lot more that twice as many 30 foot slips in the same water area as 60 footers. And that's even before we start talking about catamarans...

Our boat is 52.5 feet overall, both by documentation and tape measure. That's what we tell any marina we stay in, and leave it to them if they want to charge us 52 or 53. Cheating might work in a few places, but any dockmaster who runs a marina you would want to stay at can tell by looking at how you fit in his marina how big you are to within less than a foot.

I'd be embarrassed to be caught cheating, although I realize that is not a universal response.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 18:34   #27
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
There are quite a few marinas that charge by slip size. You rent either a 40 ft slip or a 35 foot slip or a 30 ft slip, no matter how long your boat is.

right .. and guess what .. the only slips they have available are 45 foot slips. oh you had a 34 foot boat?
Old 12-05-2019, 18:39   #28

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

Don't cheat on length. One guy with a tape measure can ruin your day. Some marinas charge for overall length, including bow anchors and wind steering on the stern if you are longer than the slip length which is usually the minimum charge.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 22:34   #29

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

The marina where I keep my boat uses 'finger docks' which will accommodate boats of various lengths. I believe we all pay the same rate. If that is so, why would they care how long your boat is? I can see charging for length if one is tied to a 'visitors' wharf.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 23:08   #30

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
So let me get this straight. You only help other boaters if the marina gives you a discount?

And you perpetuate female stereotypes in order to get that discount?

Think bigger picture.
Nooooo you know if I see someone in trouble we're all jumping in to help no matter what. I'm not quite that much of a douche As for the other, it's more of a wink wink way to ask for a discount. Since buying the boat we've been only sailing in the macho cultures around the Med, so it works better to send the girls, and if it saves a few bucks, good for us, we need every penny!
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa