Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2019, 17:07   #1

Delivery estimates

When preparing to engage a delivery captain, it should be totally reasonable for prospect captions to provide a delivery estimate, right?

Are there any sites that provide delivery estimates (not talking about dock wise or seven stars or the large cargo vessels that load and deliver small fleets of boats)?
keelsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:56   #2

Re: Delivery estimates

You might try speaking with Auspicious and/or Snore (both members here and both busy reputable delivery captains). Either they can point you in the right direction or maybe offer you some "ballpark" quotes (you understand I'm not speaking for them, though - of course)

Good luck!
LittleWing
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:19   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Delivery estimates

All to often owners send vague requests for quotes..
For example.. "I am looking to buy a boat on the East coast US and would like it delivered to the Med, how much will you charge for this.???"
To vague.. We need to know the Port of Depature and the Destination Port to calculate mileage/time for a quote depending on how one works out their fee, also travel costs to and from the boat, type, age, condition, owner assist or will crew be required..
Time of year will also have a bearing.. a mid winter Northern Transat would call for a 'danger money' tariff.
There is no such thing as a 'List Price'

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:27   #4

Re: Delivery estimates

Hi, as a professional, insured, delivery skipper and on-passage tutor, I am now in my 50th year as a professional skipper.

I have a scale of fees and will depend on where, when and distance. I have many clients that return for re-positioning their yachts and many by word of mouth or through my LinkedIn network of brokers and manufacturers.

My rates may be to some at a premium, but if I am asked to provide a figure it will be normally based on the yachts waterline speed, without wind/tide, which usually corresponds to it's cruising speed under engine. This speed is placed against the distance, using waypoint-to-point. This provides for the number of estimated days, before stop overs, etc. If I am using a daily rate the client gets a figure based on this and the stopovers. Holdups for weather/mechanical/equipment are negotiated, along with fuel are paid on arrival. The cost for the delivery, etc is always paid upfront, including travel to the yacht.

Trans-Ocean passages tend to be at a rate per NM, but, but may also have a portion at a daily rate. I.E. Caribbean to Gibraltar at NM with the portion in the Med at a daily rate.

There are many owners today who buy vessels, but require some comfort of a professional skipper, so they get on-passage tuition.

When I quote, it does not include crew.

Hope this provides some useful indications for you. PM me if you have anything specific in mind.

Thanks

Martin
katoema is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delivery