Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2010, 09:01   #76
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Assuming that I am insured and my insurance will cover your liability is simply irresponsible and unethical.
I assume that if you are that bothered about the risk of damage you will do something about it. rather than hope someone else will. Either from protecting your vessel 24/7. or by buying insurance. To do otherwise is simply wishful thinking.

Me on the otherhand may spend the money saved on better witnesses
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 16:57   #77
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
If you cannot afford to be financially responsible, whether it be out of pocket or through an insurance policy, then you can't afford to cruise. Assuming that I am insured and my insurance will cover your liability is simply irresponsible and unethical.
What a self centred view of the world. The fact is my friend you choose to protect your own boat via insurance as you see fit , fully comprehensively if you want to ensure that you're protected from other people. It matters not to you that the other person is insured or not. That's an issue for your insurance company. Irrespective you get your money .

Live and let live

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 17:07   #78

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
What a self centred view of the world.
Dave
That & "myopic" is a word that comes to mind.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 17:20   #79

There's a moral obligation to carry insurance? Really? The world has surely turned upside down.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 17:52   #80

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I'm not sure that there is any moral obligation to carry insurance. I would say that it would be nice if there was, in general, a moral obigation to take responsibility for one's own actions, but sadly, this doesn't seem to be the case
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 18:04   #81

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
We learn from our leaders. Spin baby spin.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 18:12   #82

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
I think the reality is that many who 'self-insure' can't afford insurance.

The theory that people will take responsibility for their actions is all well and good except that very few individuals can settle a claim for a few hundred thousand. And anyone expecting to make good via litigation is in for a treat (assuming the other party even has money).

We carry insurance that will cover us regardless of who actually causes damage or injury. Maybe my premiums are a little higher, but quite frankly,
it's a small expense relative to the costs of running a boat.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 18:19   #83
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Really? The world has surely turned upside down.
Naah.... thats just the 'Cruising in Decline' Thread

I used to carry Liabilty (for legal aid) but the Big Buga's kept missing me so I gave up... Hmmm... wonda if a bigga boat'd help

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 18:35   #84

Boat: deboated
Some on this thread seem to have an attitude that if through anothers negligence they sink my boat that it is just bad luck. I should feel sorry for the fact they did not insure and cannot afford to make good.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 18:41   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Naah.... thats just the 'Cruising in Decline' Thread
This thread isn't doing that great either Lets not mix them.

Somethings never change and things of no fault of your own can land you and/or your boat in undesirable circumstances you could never have prevented yet be faced with all the consequences only because you were there. It suddenly is in all sense of the words - "your fault". Your personal views of risk and acceptance are fine until others enforce a decision upon you where you have no choices and have no rights.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 18:43   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
...cannot afford to make good.
That comment begs the question: How much insurance is required to be proper?

Yup. It's tough luck. Accidents happen. If you don't want the risk go buy your own insurance. That's how it works. There's no other practical way.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 18:43   #87
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
Some on this thread seem to have an attitude that if through anothers negligence they sink my boat that it is just bad luck. I should feel sorry for the fact they did not insure and cannot afford to make good.
Actually I do carry Liability... and to be honest I'm grateful that many carry more... been dragged on more times than I remember... been rammed 3 times...
But... ya gorra laugh

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 18:50   #88

Boat: deboated
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
This thread isn't doing that great either Lets not mix them.

Somethings never change and things of no fault of your own can land you and/or your boat in undesirable circumstances you could never have prevented yet be faced with all the consequences only because you were there. It suddenly is in all sense of the words - "your fault". Your personal views of risk and acceptance are fine until others enforce a decision upon you where you have no choices and have no rights.
Couldn't have put it better
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 20:48   #89

Boat: Vagabond 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
No one ever said anything of the sort. Certainly not me (and I am the one you were responding to). You are arguing against a straw man.

You implied that insurance companies calculate your premium so as to get back everything from you, individually, that they might ever have to pay. That is simply and completely wrong. Again, the insurance business is all about shared risk. Each individual does not get charged the same thing, but each individual within a defined group most certainly does.

For example, I am a married male, over the age of 50, with a good driving record, living in Florida, with a vehicle worth about $12,000. State Farm charges me exactly the same for my collision coverage as they charge every other married male, over the age of 50, with a good driving record, living in Florida, with a vehicle worth about $12,000 for THEIR collision coverage. That spreads the risk for collision coverage across a group that included thousands of people.

You went on to suggest that if you simply put the premiums that you would have paid into a savings account then you can cover yourself for everything that the insurance company would cover you for. Again, completely wrong, since it ignores the plain fact that some people who experience severe disasters get back far more from the insurance company than they have, or ever will, pay in. This is where the shared risk comes into it.

Since you are accusing others of not knowing what they are talking about, it might behoove you to find out what YOU are talking about!

1. If you get in a wreck, most insurance companies will raise your personal rates - not the entire group's. Every 18 year old girl covered by my insurance company is not paying $1000 per month for health insurance - I have not done a survey.
2. You are assuming that everyone has the same funding as you. My car was totallled on Hallendale Beach Blvd, FL by a driver with no insurance when liabilty coverage was not as controlled as it is now, and even now it still happens. When people have to decide whether to eat or buy insurance, I am sure eating will always win. No, I did not try to sue that driver. I don't believe in that type of thing. Instead, I understood why she didn't have insurance, and took responsibility for myself and the risk I took and moved on.
3. I have liabilty coverage on my boat, car, and job.
4. There is a difference between making a personal choice and choosing to impose it on others. I try very hard to understand and not judge. You get far fewer ulcers that way.
Old 14-12-2010, 00:21   #90
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
[QUOTE=Pblais;577486]This thread isn't doing that great either Lets not mix them.

...and there it is.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar