Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2016, 02:51   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cost to use the Panama canal

Contact Erick at "Centenario & Co." <info@centenarioconsulting.com>
He is the agent I use when transiting the canal.. really nice guy and he will be able to give you all the fee's, admeasurment details etc..
Safe travels..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:04   #17

Boat: Alajuela 38
Re: Cost to use the Panama canal

Our you can contact the canal directly through their website.
There's a list of useful things here and a contact list.
Maritime Services - PanCanal.com
Impetuous too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:36   #18

Boat: Bristol 82

Thanks. That's great.
cha0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:53   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Is there no anchoring in colon now? Or at least no safe anchoring?

I stayed on the flats in 2005 and used the YC which I know was torn down. I noted all the canal offices were on piers it seemed it would have been possible to dinghy to.

It appears roughly 1/2 the "new" cost is the marina fees at shelter island. I plan to go through again in 2017 or '18 and guess I will just have to suck it up.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:08   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Is there no anchoring in colon now? Or at least no safe anchoring?

I stayed on the flats in 2005 and used the YC which I know was torn down. I noted all the canal offices were on piers it seemed it would have been possible to dinghy to.

It appears roughly 1/2 the "new" cost is the marina fees at shelter island. I plan to go through again in 2017 or '18 and guess I will just have to suck it up.
The old docks Colon side have gone.. you can anchor over that side but not advised..
When I was there in 2012 a boat was attacked and skipper beaten up by four guys who swam out to the boat.. his crew were ashore with the dinghy..
Shelter Bay is not cheap.. the 54ftr I was taking through was around $600+/wk.
A lot of folk get an agent set up then head for Porto Bello or the San Blas till they get a call..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:12   #21
Marine Service Provider

So basically you can save the agent fees if you stay at shelter bay long enough or pay an agent and save the dockage....

Guess we'll decide when we're closer.

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2016, 05:16   #22
Marine Service Provider

I should note in 2005 the flats were not considered "safe" and incidents had happened often enough in prior years. We slept with security bars in the companionway and hatches.

I'm not sure we would have not stayed at the YC if we'd had kids then.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:43   #23
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cha0s View Post
So does any one know roughly what the cost for an 85ft boat is likely to be to transit. I can't find any inf online. There seems to be a lot of 'the price really jumps up after 50 ft' advice but I can't find any official or anecdotal info on cost of anything bigger than that.
have you googled panama canal??? the site had all the rates last time i looked...... very informative site.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:48   #24

You can anchor near club Nautico for free but they charge by the person a daily rate to use their dinghy dock. We used the shore nearby but then noone ever seems to want to steal a rowing dinghy...

There were several boats there with us including two families we started five days as its a great place to provision.

Colon is an edgy place but we enjoyed it. You can also do everything from Portabello by cheap around 30 mins bus ride. Then just come to the flats to get measured and to go through. You do not have to use shelter bay. It suits them for everyone to think you do... They wanted 50usd per night for our Alajuela 38 the water treasured revolting and the WiFi was a lot more money extra... Outside club nautico you can use the free government WiFi.

Read about how we arranged our transit ourselves here Impetuous Too: How to transit the Panama Canal as cheaply as possible...
I can't stress enough how easy it was.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:49   #25

You can anchor near club Nautico for free but they charge by the person a daily rate to use their dinghy dock. We used the shore nearby but then noone ever seems to want to steal a rowing dinghy...

There were several boats there with us including two families we stayed five days as its a great place to provision.

Colon is an edgy place but we enjoyed it. You can also do everything from Portabello by cheap around 30 mins bus ride. Then just come to the flats to get measured and to go through. You do not have to use shelter bay. It suits them for everyone to think you do... They wanted 50usd per night for our Alajuela 38 the water treasured revolting and the WiFi was a lot more money extra... Outside club nautico you can use the free government WiFi.

Read about how we arranged our transit ourselves here Impetuous Too: How to transit the Panama Canal as cheaply as possible...
I can't stress enough how easy it was.
Old 13-01-2016, 06:14   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

[QUOTE=They actually make a loss on cruising boats but still happily let us through at a reasonable price as a good will gesture in the interest of good foreign relations.
[/QUOTE]

Don't believe the loss bit at all. My uncle ran the place for 30 years befoere the give-back. I believe that in the early days there was no pleasure boat fee. It takes the same amount of water to lock any boat. This is because only the water below the boats is moved. The big guys pay massively. You will typically be locked with a large vessel in any remaining safe space. Any yacht or other 'extra' boat locks through at no material cost, only labor. Each yacht represents a bonus on top of the already paid lockage. Bennefit to the local economy is real as well.

BTW, boats locking in/out of lake Superior are free. Takes about 15 minutes.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 06:42   #27

Boat: O'Day 28

I have heard the Chinese are operating the canal now. Won't that result in lower pricing?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 11:17   #28

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I have heard the Chinese are operating the canal now. Won't that result in lower pricing?
But you heard wrong. The Chinese manage some of the container port, but not the Canal, it is run entirely by the Panamanians and they do an efficient job.

How much lower can you expect for a handline yacht? It is already a good deal that probably looses money for the Canal.
Old 13-01-2016, 11:22   #29

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Don't believe the loss bit at all. My uncle ran the place for 30 years befoere the give-back. I believe that in the early days there was no pleasure boat fee. It takes the same amount of water to lock any boat. This is because only the water below the boats is moved. The big guys pay massively. You will typically be locked with a large vessel in any remaining safe space. Any yacht or other 'extra' boat locks through at no material cost, only labor. Each yacht represents a bonus on top of the already paid lockage. Bennefit to the local economy is real as well.

BTW, boats locking in/out of lake Superior are free. Takes about 15 minutes.
And the cost for the Admeasurer to inspect your boat and the crew to bring him out, the cost for the 2 pilots and the 4 times they are picked up dropped off with 2 crew on the crew boats and the cost of 2-4 hand line personal on each lock to grab your lines and the scheduler and the finance. A lot of people get involved in a small boat transit.
Old 13-01-2016, 11:35   #30
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
And the cost for the Admeasurer to inspect your boat and the crew to bring him out, the cost for the 2 pilots and the 4 times they are picked up dropped off with 2 crew on the crew boats and the cost of 2-4 hand line personal on each lock to grab your lines and the scheduler and the finance. A lot of people get involved in a small boat transit.
Exactly..!!
And trips down the canal with the lads who handled our lines was fun.. a grand adventure for two as it was their first time.. $70 each and a 2 day trip across the country with food and board..

Tags
Panama, Panama Canal