Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2019, 11:00   #1
Cdn

Competing Offers

Hello,

Looking go buy a Hanse 458, Bavaria 46 Vision. Willing to buy from any dealer in the Med or USA, but want the boat delivered close to factory. Is it reasonable to get multiple quotes from multiple dealers?

Cheers

N
Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 11:01   #2
Cdn

Re: Competing Offers

Should mention I am looking brand new.

Looking for advise on what dealers to speak with.
Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 12:35   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn View Post
Hello,

Looking go buy a Hanse 458, Bavaria 46 Vision. Willing to buy from any dealer in the Med or USA, but want the boat delivered close to factory. Is it reasonable to get multiple quotes from multiple dealers?
Do you mean you want the boat delivered geographically close to the factory? or as close to a stock model regarding features?

There is no reason why you can't talk to multiple dealers. Hanse lists all of their dealers on their website:

https://www.hanseyachtsag.com/us/han...ler-shows.html
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 14:08   #4

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I took factory delivery of a new HR fifteen years ago. The broker hooked me up with contacts at the factory. I visited several times during construction, got lots of pictures, and got good advise from some really serious sailors at the factory. You should be able to find a broker who will similarly get out of the way of solid communication on a new boat.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 16:10   #5

Of course you CAN...

...but I think you will find that buying a boat is not like haggling price on a new car. The "dealer" is more like a broker. They frequently get a fixed percentage of the manufacturer's price. Like 10%. So the price flexibility on the dealer's end is really small--assuming the contract allow them to do anything.

Also, be prepared that they might have specific geographical areas that the contract prevents them from encroaching on other dealer's territory.

You might have luck with negotiating on non-sticker price things. Delivery and commissioning costs, for example.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 17:02   #6

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

My $0.02c

Absolutely, I think you would be mad not to find out what's on offer - price and service.

I'd ask them (in writing, always in writing) how they handle warranty issues and ask for some contacts of the 3 most recent purchasers to talk to. (if you ask for the most recent and they provide you hand selected sales skipping the not so good ones they are acting fraudulently which will be in your favour if it all turns bad)

If warranty comes down to going back to the factory, you can buy from anyone, not a lot of motivation to buy from the closest one. Perhaps even from the factory direct but you need to know how support and warranty is handled.

You also need to know what happens if you are in another country/state if some warranty issues comes up.
Old 11-11-2019, 21:03   #7

Boat: Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I'd ask them (in writing, always in writing) how they handle warranty issues and ask for some contacts of the 3 most recent purchasers to talk to.
If warranty comes down to going back to the factory, you can buy from anyone, not a lot of motivation to buy from the closest one. Perhaps even from the factory direct but you need to know how support and warranty is handled.
Emphatically agree with this... Maybe even the single biggest thing to think about. I bought a new 50 ft Jeanneau about 10 years back and the broker was also the warranty agent...not a problem in itself, but we had issues. I think either the warranty manager at the broker was either completely incompetent or they were getting kickbacks for the number of warranty items they pushed back on or simply conveniently forgot. It was a painful, miserable and half-a$$ed process.

Find out the exact warranty process, how a claim is submitted, and to whom, and then how it is tracked and who takes care of it and where. Tips and experiences from recent owners as mentioned above is a great idea. Some warranty items can be huge dollar items that you will definitely want done on the builders dime, rather than just letting them go as too much hassle.

All that said...I loved the presales experience for a new boat.... Visiting the factory, speccing out the layout, interior, gear, toys, etc is incredible fun. Would totally do it again if I can afford it. Good luck.
IAmGroot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offer