Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2020, 04:32   #1

Certifications or Licensing for insurance

I have ASA 101 & 103, and looking to purchase our first catamaran. It seems that the insurance companies will write cheaper policies with 114, but after looking at what the sailing schools would charge me for 104 & 114, it would be much cheaper to get a 6 pack capt license with sailing endorsement.

Does anyone have their captains license and does it help with insurance even though you are not in the for hire business?
Byrdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:20   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Certifications or Licensing for insurance

If you are just starting out, the 365 days of eight hours underway may interfere with getting a license. I doubt that for sailing your new recreational cat coastally it will make that much difference to your insurance company, but someone on the forum may know a company that supplies a substantial discount for a license.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
If you are just starting out, the 365 days of eight hours underway may interfere with getting a license. I doubt that for sailing your new recreational cat coastally it will make that much difference to your insurance company, but someone on the forum may know a company that supplies a substantial discount for a license.
Thank you for your quick response! Let me know what you think about the info below, please.

I think I should have the 365 days of on the water experience covered. I live in FL, 51 years old, and have owned inshore and offshore boats for over 20 years. I have put over 500 hours on my current offshore boat in the past 3 years I have owned it and I bareboat chartered in the past as the only person at the helm since I was the only one with sailing experience and ASA Certs.

BTW, when I looked, I thought it said 4 hours is considered a day as far as that is concerned. Not that it matters for me I think, just maybe a little less research to do to document the time. Is this right? Documenting Sea Time
Old 10-09-2020, 06:33   #4

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Regardless the cost and insurance considerations I would highly recommend taking the 6 pack capt licensing course - first for your own safety and performance especially as you are moving to a larger(?) boat and probably plan on longer offshore passages.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:34   #5

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Yes it helps. But then I have a 500 ton sail endorsement on a masters license that I have had for 38 years.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:09   #6

Thank you for the information! I agree even for safety and knowledge is seems the Capt. License is the way to go.

B
Old 10-09-2020, 07:09   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

When I got my six pack license I was told I couldn't get the sailing endorsement and that it required the masters license. It may have been the firm I went through, but in any case, the license helped prove my experience and I was not asked about a sailing endorsement. Insurance is becoming more and more difficult to get. I do know that 60% of Fountain Pajot buyers are first time boat owners so it is available. Good luck.
The following is a quote from Mariners Learning Center, through which I got my license.
"One day of sea time is considered to be eight hours on the water. However, in many cases, the National Maritime Center (NMC) will accept a day as being just four hours when applying for an OUPV/Six-pack or a 25, 50, or 100-ton Master license"
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:12   #8

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
Yes it helps. But then I have a 500 ton sail endorsement on a masters license that I have had for 38 years.
If you have that license and endorsement I guess it should satisfy any insurer.

I took certain courses with my own 25 years of Capt. License (28 meters/100 ton) with the newer technologies, communication, navigation, diesels etc. to improve my seamanship capabilities. The existing covid related cruising limitations could be a good time for this and I’m looking for updates myself.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:07   #9

Licences have never brought down my insurance premium.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:16   #10

Boat: Catalina 30

Be aware that you will be held to a much higher standard in case of ANY accident on the water when you have a captain's license. Even if you are on your vessel and are casually cruising. Things a non-licensed skipper would get away with a licensed captain may not.

My insurance company offered their own online test in order to get a discount. You may want to check with yours.
OS2Dude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:20   #11

Boat: Island Packet 45
Send a message via Skype™ to basenay

I'm with Stewie12 that a license never brought down my insurance premiums. More than one agent told me NOT to list my 6 pack license as some companies think it opens you & them to greater liability as you could be held to a higher standard in any accident. Don't know if it was true then or now. Let my license lapse years ago as expense & hassle kept going up with Drug Screens, Twix License & need to travel to USCG office where license originally issued.
basenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:25   #12

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

My USCG OUPV (6-pack) license did help with my insurance premium (a 40-foot monohull; also my 1st boat). My ASA 101, 103, 104, and 105 licenses did not help at all.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:05   #13

I’m a delivery Captain USCG Master 100, Sailing Endorsement, Asa 201 (instructor), also FL licensed Yacht Broker. For all my clients I refer them to MS. Kerry Gonzalez & her firm (Ins broker), AMG Int’l, kerry@amginsuranceinternational.com
317 870 2112 (cell). 772 742 2401 (ofc)

She is an expert and does not charge client for service; give her a call or write, she can help
Stmurray62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:27   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmurray62 View Post
I’m a delivery Captain USCG Master 100, Sailing Endorsement, Asa 201 (instructor), also FL licensed Yacht Broker. For all my clients I refer them to MS. Kerry Gonzalez & her firm (Ins broker), AMG Int’l, kerry@amginsuranceinternational.com
317 870 2112 (cell). 772 742 2401 (ofc)

She is an expert and does not charge client for service; give her a call or write, she can help
Thank you for the information. When you do deliveries, what do you look for when you hire extra hands to deliver? Would a 6 pack be favored by you over ASA Certs? I'm coming in late to the sailing game and looking to get experience on the water with larger vessels vs the smaller ones I have experience with.

Thanks again!!
Old 10-09-2020, 10:46   #15

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Last 2 liveaboard boats (37 & 40 feet) insurance had a several hundred dollar discount for my captain and masters license. But it may depend on the company and or size of the boat you are trying to insure.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
certification, insurance