Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2020, 14:35   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Certifications or Licensing for insurance

Both the USCG 6-pack (OUPV) and the master’s near-coastal tickets prohibit “foreign voyages” but that is only for commercial operations.

A sea-day for licensing purposes is generally considered to be at least 4 hours each calendar day continuously underway. Sail or cruise for 2hrs, anchor for lunch, sail or cruise for 2hrs. more, none of it counts. There exceptions for commercial crew, such as for those who start one day and finish the next.

360 documented sea-days for the OUPV, 720 documented for the lowest master’s rate. If you own your own boat you can document your own time but don’t cheat. Include proof of ownership. If you have chartered, submit your charter records or copies of payment as documentation. These, plus a lot of days self-documented will probably be accepted by the USCG.

Sounds like you have plenty of sea time for either the OUPV or masters, near-costal.
I’ve own boats in Hawaii for over fifty years and sailed and raced to all the islands many times. I’ve owned two Moorings boats, one in French Polynesia and other in the BVI. I submitted my charter paperwork with my original 50ton application, as well as with my documentation for renewals and upgrades.

I agree with deValency, take a professional licensing class. It’s well worth it for the knowledge and as a refresher.

OS2dude is probably right. I had three Coasties in my initial licensing class and I ask them if I get boarded will you guys cut me some slack or go harder on me. Their answer, “Probably go harder on you.” But if you are not running a commercial operation I guess you don't have to show them your license.

I’ve heard that USCG licensing cuts no ice with the Euro-charterers. They are in love with the Royal Yacht Master’s program. They blame it on their insurers but it’s just another way to get money out of you.

Some think licensing has no effect on insurance and that may have been true in the past but I’m currently insured for charter and bare-boat charter at a very reasonable rate for the entire Caribbean, US East Coast and the Bahamas, except for the embargoed countries. This includes hurricane coverage for the boat’s current home in Puerto Rico.

Catch me on the Trawlers Forum under "ProMaritime."
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:23   #17

In response to bird man, when undertaking a delivery, I prefer experienced crew. Typically, I gravitate towards ASA credentialed crew as opposed to someone with only a 6 pack. Rationale is, with ASA credentials, I’m certain they have sailing experience, whereas a six packet may not, as there is not on the water sailing requirement for the 6 pack
Stmurray62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 14:24   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmurray62 View Post
In response to bird man, when undertaking a delivery, I prefer experienced crew. Typically, I gravitate towards ASA credentialed crew as opposed to someone with only a 6 pack. Rationale is, with ASA credentials, I’m certain they have sailing experience, whereas a six packet may not, as there is not on the water sailing requirement for the 6 pack
Thanks for the info! I'm planning to get a few more ASA anyway, specially navigation, and the 6-pack with sailing endorsement eventually. Maybe one day you will need an extra hand when I'm ready!
Byrdman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
certification, insurance