Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2022, 15:24   #1

Buying in Australia Beneteau Oceanis 331 via Adams 1990 34" sloop

We are wanting to upgrade from a Lidguard 29" to a larger vessel.
Planning to sail the East Coast of Australia, in the Winter months. Most other sailing will be a few nights in the Great Sandy Straits/Hervey Bay.
Our dilemma: My partner is the sailor and I am the novice. Looking for a boat that can be sailed single handed. I am prepared to do a sailing course.
Boat requirement's: 30" to 40", Wheel steering, inboard motor, Electric Anchor, 12 volts/240 with invertor (is possible). Toilet/ Shower.

We like the Beneteau Oceanis Clipper 331 very much for her luxurious layout and roomy cabin. Price is around $100,000.

The 1990 Adams 34" Sloop is very attractive on price, $34,000.

This next purchase is our forever boat.

Question: Disregarding the cost difference. Which vessel has would be best to sail single handed, stability, reliability & ease to learn for a novice sailer?

Thanks you

Judy
YoungFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 15:48   #2

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Buying in Australia Beneteau Oceanis 331 via Adams 1990 34" sloop

I have sailed neither, but I think the same stuff applies for most boats and I have been, until recently, very much a solo sailor.

I’d start by seeing how well you can get around ABOVE deck. Bugger the down below stuff, when you are sailing it really does not matter that much. (And at anchor you jolly well should be up in the cockpit, so it still does not matter.) The ability to move freely and safely above deck is essential. Some of the bigger Adams had really awkwardly placed lower stays, enough to put me off what was otherwise a great boat.

All very well if they can both be sailed from the cockpit, but if you are too scared to go forward when the SHTF then the boat is no good for a solo sailor.

Also, I’m assuming both have furling headsails, hank-ons are all very purist and reliable, but a right bastard when sailing solo. Furling would be essential for me.

Personally, I’m a cutter kind of guy, seems like neither of these boats tick that box though the Adams may be able to be cutter rigged, certainly some of his designs of that size were. Cutter is super nice in tough conditions. I rode out a light gale on the east coast of Tassie a few months back, sailing with the wind forward of the beam, with two reefs in the main and just the staysail, it was actually a pretty enjoyable trip. Would have been a horror trip with a badly shaped partially furled foresail, no pointing ability with that sort of sail shape.
Old 20-01-2022, 16:07   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Buying in Australia Beneteau Oceanis 331 via Adams 1990 34" sloop

Have owned a Bene 331, very nice boat which I solo'd from the Caribe to the UK.
Nice walk through to the swim platform with the lift up seat at the back of the cockpit, easy decks to move around and singlehanding is a doddle if you have a wheel pilot.
Very comfortable down below with a good heads, galley area and enormous aft double, only down side is it extends under the cockpit and if you need the loo during the night one has to clamber over your partner..
Recommend the weak bladder on the outside..
Just boils down to the price.. more for the cruising fund or....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn4658.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	251612  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 16:39   #4

Boat: currently boatless
Re: Buying in Australia Beneteau Oceanis 331 via Adams 1990 34" sloop

Gday Judy, just a couple of things. When I speak with many people looking at their first boat the biggest suggestion I can make is work out what you want in a boat, then and only then start looking. Its amazing how many boats you can knock out of your search when you do this. Compromise is always there but be sure on what you are compromising of if this is your forever boat.
We have owned monos from 18 foot to 38 foot then multis from 40 to 44 foot. I can tell you the perfect boat does not exist. Remember is not just about the boat its about its level of inclusions and age. Things I would consider are age of rigging, insurance companies are now looking at rigs ten years old and requiring they be replaced ( not mast just rigging). Thats an expensive job. Also age of electronics. In my book original electronics may require replacing and thats another large cost. If you cruising power generation is another point to consider. Shade is most important and if that shade incorporates weather protection for those wet days that is a bonus. We have recently sold our multi and will be on the hunt for a replacement boat in the not to distant future. I reside in the Hervey Bay region and had our boat moored at the Great Sandy Straights Marina. Berths are extremely hard to obtains at the moment so if considering a boat talk to the marinas to ensure you can get a spot first.
There are a lot of vessels out there that would suite your needs it just a matter of working out what you want in that yacht and its annual cost. Please feel free to message me privately if I can be of any assistance.

Greg H
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 12:00   #5

Boat: Farr 1020

Just looking at those 2 is a bit milting. In general terms, Joe Adams designs great sailing boats but they can be rather wet to sail, each design differs though. The Bene will probably be more "comfortable" to live aboard as they are designed for the charter market and styled to be comfy, whilst the Adams will potentially be more a sailor's boat, stronger and so forth but do you need/want that?
Heed the advice of GILow re the cutter if you can, they do make it easier to be comfortable sailing when it is blowing dogs off chains!
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 14:44   #6

The Mottle 33 is a well known Joe Adams design. There are a few on the internet and most owners speak highly of them. Centre cockpit. Sail really well. Very manageable. You should be able to pick up one for 30-40 k AUS $'s.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2022, 21:05   #7

I don't know of an Adams 34, is it steel maybe? That is a whole other kettle of fish....
He had some steelies that worked out about 35 foot.
All of his designs would have been from 30-40 years ago and, if small, none are going to have the room or modern ambiance of the Beneteau.
The Bene will do you if you are happy to spend the money, and could be easier to sell if you wanted to later on.
Or, if you wanted to spend Beneteau money on an Adams...well... that gets you into a whole other market>>>HERE
That might be a forever boat!
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adams, Australia, beneteau, buying, oceanis, sloop